Bermuda...Veendam or Summit???

Rotterdam

The partner & I are looking into a Bermuda cruise in July / August...we live in NYC and look forawrd to a stress free week by boarding here....

My question is ...for those that have already sailed on either if these ships this year...what were the hi & lo points....

Veendam is in Bermuda an extra day, but most likely has an older crowd...Summit is across the Hudson but spends an extra day at sea....

Bermuda is one of my favorite spots on earth & I've been tehre over 20 times since the mid 1970's....it will be my golf obsessed partners first trip there....

Thansk for your thoughts....

Hi , I booked the Sept . 5 , Bermuda cruise with some of my friends.

I picked the Veendam because of the very good reviews and blogs about HAL and the ship. I sail mainly with Cunard , so I this should be a good transition. Bermuda sounds great with 4 days! I am a beach guy .

Also sailing form New york is a plus!

I picked the Veendam because of the very good reviews and blogs about HAL and the ship. I sail mainly with Cunard , so I think this should be a good transition. Bermuda sounds great with 4 days! I am a beach guy .

Just got back from Bermuda on the Veendam. Yes, it's an older crowd but honestly, unless you are into the party scene, I think it would be fine. I very much enjoyed our cruise and definitely don't want to be out at sea when I can be in Bermuda! I was shocked to find out the ships that left with us got in a day later! That seems crazy to me.

I'd go Veendam.

My partner and I just sailed on NCL Dawn fron NYC and enjoyed it very much. A very relaxing and great cruise. We had a FOD every night on the ship. The free styling dinner was great. We did'nt think we would like free styling, but did for sailing to Bermuda. You time is your time. You did not have to rush back to go to dinner. I think you will have a greater diverse of people on NCL. Enjoy.

We booked the Veendam.....mainly for the extra day on Bermuda.....we last sailed HAL on NOORDAM a couple of years ago.

The ease of having a car service drop us off at the pier - only 15 minutes away, plus the extra day sealed the deal... we have not sailed on Summit & would of picked her if not for the extra day at sea.. We also prefer a smaller ship.

We haved sailed NCL and prefer a more traditional line....altho sailing out of NYC is a plus.....

Thanks again.....

Full moon , smooth seas to all!

We are going to Bermuda on the Veendam in a couple of weeks (6/27 sailing), and we also chose it over the other options because of the extra time in Bermuda. We've been on the Celebrity Millinium (sister to the Summit), and it is a beautiful ship. We've also been on the Maasdam (sister to the Veendam), and it was perfectly fine -- a little older and more traditional, certainly smaller and less crowded, but with a lot less to do. Of course, with that extra time in Bermuda, that matters less! :)

glad you enjoyed the cruise...what did you do at nite...we are not party animals but like a bit of nite life....its been a few years since I have been in Bermuda- will go to Hamilton Princess for drinks & eat off the ship a few nites....any hi lites you care to share..thanks.

Just got back from Bermuda on the Veendam. Yes, it's an older crowd but honestly, unless you are into the party scene, I think it would be fine. I very much enjoyed our cruise and definitely don't want to be out at sea when I can be in Bermuda! I was shocked to find out the ships that left with us got in a day later! That seems crazy to me.

I'd go Veendam.

We like Cunard also....and the new terminal is an easy alteranative for us NY'ers.

We'll post our thoughts upon our return!!!

I picked the Veendam because of the very good reviews and blogs about HAL and the ship. I sail mainly with Cunard , so I this should be a good transition. Bermuda sounds great with 4 days! I am a beach guy .

We sail a few weeks after you....you are correct - the extra day in Bermuda is more of a priority...

what are you planning to do in Bermuda.....my partner golfs so i'll have a day or 2 to run around on the moped.....

Enjoy your cruise & please let us know what you thought about your sailing.....

We are going to Bermuda on the Veendam in a couple of weeks (6/27 sailing), and we also chose it over the other options because of the extra time in Bermuda. We've been on the Celebrity Millinium (sister to the Summit), and it is a beautiful ship. We've also been on the Maasdam (sister to the Veendam), and it was perfectly fine -- a little older and more traditional, certainly smaller and less crowded, but with a lot less to do. Of course, with that extra time in Bermuda, that matters less! :)

glad you enjoyed the cruise...what did you do at nite...we are not party animals but like a bit of nite life....its been a few years since I have been in Bermuda- will go to Hamilton Princess for drinks & eat off the ship a few nites....any hi lites you care to share..thanks.

Honestly, at night we just enjoyed going to a few of the lounges to relax and listen to the music. The string quartet and piano player were both very good and for us busy New Yorkers, just being able to sit and relax with some quiet music at night was great. We also spent a few nights just sitting in the Retreat talking. :)

I just can't wait to get that sea air back into my lungs!!!!!

Thanks again!

Honestly, at night we just enjoyed going to a few of the lounges to relax and listen to the music. The string quartet and piano player were both very good and for us busy New Yorkers, just being able to sit and relax with some quiet music at night was great. We also spent a few nights just sitting in the Retreat talking. :)

Our only plans are to rent mopeds to explore the island (Rich has been before, I have not), do some snorkeling if the weather cooperates, and maybe head to the Hamilton Princess for tea (the gay part of the trip). :) Also looking forward to lots of relaxing on the ship at night, too. We'll definitely report back when we return!

Ed and Rich

Our only plans are to rent mopeds to explore the island (Rich has been before, I have not), do some snorkeling if the weather cooperates, and maybe head to the Hamilton Princess for tea (the gay part of the trip). :) Also looking forward to lots of relaxing on the ship at night, too. We'll definitely report back when we return!

Ed and Rich

Hamilton princess

Ed and Rich

this is where I have been renting mopeds snce 1978!!! yikes - they are very nice people and next to the Hamilton Princess....

http://www.smattscyclelivery.com/

I don't know if the Pub is still open at the Hamilton Princess - but its worth a stop...

and of course cocktails at Hamilton Princess on the lawn overlooking the harbor.....

Have a most wonderful cruise guys.....

Full moon & smooth seas to you both!!!!!

We were told that the Princess will be taken down soon to make room for a new updated hotel. I have to say it's sad to see the old hotels go when there is such history and beauty in them! My husband and I stayed at the Bermudiana 25 years ago tomorrow (today is our wedding annivarsary - 25 years!) and it was SOOOO beautiful with it's classic Bermuda elegance (I remember the lobby was all paneled in Bermuda cedar!).

We were told that the Princess will be taken down soon to make room for a new updated hotel. I have to say it's sad to see the old hotels go when there is such history and beauty in them! My husband and I stayed at the Bermudiana 25 years ago tomorrow (today is our wedding annivarsary - 25 years!) and it was SOOOO beautiful with it's classic Bermuda elegance (I remember the lobby was all paneled in Bermuda cedar!).

What a wonderful memory!!!!

Friends of my parents had stayed in teh Belmont years ago...I had visited & plan on seeing if it is still around on our next visit,,,,,

Oh that Bermuda Cedar...I would love to have a library done in that!!!!

Hope you are all set.....you will love Bermuda - I 'm sure your partner does already....

Ed and Rich

Hi guys- I know my post is late as you've already booked. We booked a Summit Bermuda cruise for this September 5, their last one of the season. Have read some really good reviews on the Summit.

My boss and his partner just returned last week from the Veendam and they had a nice time. He said the captain did not anchor at the first port and stated they have only anchored twice this season so far. They enjoy the extra time in Bermuda too.

My partner and I enjoy sea days very much and also the service on Celebrity. We'll have three full days in Bermuda and two nights...however, would rather have the Veendam's ports of call.

Hope you guys have a great time!

Definitely getting excited about the trip for sure. It sounds like there will be plenty to do in Bermuda. I've read some good recent reviews of the Veendam, too, which is always good to hear since that'll be our transportation, restaurant, and hotel this trip. :) And depending on how things go, we may well try the Summit next year . . . . I'll try to report back on here after we get back to Boston July 5th.

On on the Veedam 8/22/10- Looking forward to an old fashioned cruise to Bermuda, on an intimate and manageable ship. I'm sworn off the Mega ships for now. Let us know how your cruise went, all the good and bad.

Having sailed both Veendam and Summit......it was a toss up.

Summit won out actually because of the extra day at sea. This will mark my return to Bermuda after 25 years......sailed the maiden voyage of the Homeric to Bermuda.

I love the Veendam size, but knowing Bermuda can be quiet at night , the number of options on Summit swayed my decision. I am not a party animal, but want a greater choice in my evening public rooms. After booking the May 29th, 2011 voyage I spotted Pied Piper will be on the same sailing...so there will be "family" on board.

I also read that Summit is due for the "Solsticizing" make-over...hope t is completed by time I sail. Having sailed the Solstice maiden voyage...curious to see the transformation of Summit.

This Summit cruise will also be a lead in to my Eclipse cross the pond that following October. And to think they use to be referred to brand X........

It will be warm when you sail ...and also gay pride here....as you sail down the Hudson River you should be able to see all the goings on along the westside highway!!!!!

Enjoy the cruise & we look forward to hearing all about it when you return......

FULL MOON, SMOOTH SEAS TO YOU!!!!!!!

Definitely getting excited about the trip for sure. It sounds like there will be plenty to do in Bermuda. I've read some good recent reviews of the Veendam, too, which is always good to hear since that'll be our transportation, restaurant, and hotel this trip. :) And depending on how things go, we may well try the Summit next year . . . . I'll try to report back on here after we get back to Boston July 5th.

We almost booked w/ the Summit..it was the extra day in Bermuda(I have been many times & is my partners first visit there). I have not been on Celebrity in a while but would like to try them again some day....Bermuda is so wonderful & easy to get around that its a win win any ship you are on....no wif only we could get the Summit to sail out of NYC westside pier, have an extra sea day & an extra day in Bermuda....thats a winner for us all!!!

Hi guys- I know my post is late as you've already booked. We booked a Summit Bermuda cruise for this September 5, their last one of the season. Have read some really good reviews on the Summit.

My boss and his partner just returned last week from the Veendam and they had a nice time. He said the captain did not anchor at the first port and stated they have only anchored twice this season so far. They enjoy the extra time in Bermuda too.

My partner and I enjoy sea days very much and also the service on Celebrity. We'll have three full days in Bermuda and two nights...however, would rather have the Veendam's ports of call.

Hope you guys have a great time!

Archived