Aft balcony cabins--pluses or minuses?

CruiseHawk

We booked an balcony guarantee on the Westerdam in 2008 for Alaska and ended up with one of the Aft cabins. It was the BEST cabin we have ever had!! First, it was a MUCH larger balcony, second, we have gorgeous views port, starboard, and of course aft. We really enjoyed it!!

I noticed a number of posters say they specifically ask for certain cabins that are in the aft part of the ship after experiencing noise, movement, and vibration because of the aft location. Why do people do this? Also, why do some people report not feeling anything when they are as far back as the people who felt motion and vibrations and heard noise in their cabins? I noticed if I sail on the Ruby Princess, I will be in the aft area often, so I would like to know what the benefits are of booking an aft cabin and why some people don't feel or hear anything back there.

I guess the easy answer is that some people have had different experiences and/or perceptions. Having said that, not all ships are created or configured equally. Even on the same ship, location of the aft cabin (deck, etc.) makes a difference. Wind direction makes a difference. Destination makes a difference. Lots of advantages to aft staterooms, most of which have already been addressed. And some disadvantages, too, most of which have also been addressed. Bottom line...book one sometime and see how you like it.

I am on the carnival Liberty in August 2011 I have 1 of the aft corner balconies on deck 7 and was wondering if anybody has any info about these staterooms? I guess I am curious about soot and view mostly but anything good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

I am on the carnival Liberty in August 2011 I have 1 of the aft corner balconies on deck 7 and was wondering if anybody has any info about these staterooms? I guess I am curious about soot and view mostly but anything good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

This was our corner balcony on the Carnival Liberty

426146547_08Liberty024.jpg.414a03888877fd34a0df53650913c64a.jpg

• 2 months later...

My husband and I will be staying in cabin 8270 on the Miracle. An aft cabin next to the wrap around balconies Does anyone know if the cabins on the Miracle are slanted so the guests on the Lido deck can look down into our balcony?

My husband and I are celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and we're expecting to spend alot of time on the balcony but were hoping for some privacy. I noticed that it looked like ppl could look down into your balconies in some of the pictures. Thinking my husband will HATE this.

Please give me some good news. :)

Thanks!

My husband and I will be staying in cabin 8270 on the Miracle. An aft cabin next to the wrap around balconies Does anyone know if the cabins on the Miracle are slanted so the guests on the Lido deck can look down into our balcony?

My husband and I are celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and we're expecting to spend alot of time on the balcony but were hoping for some privacy. I noticed that it looked like ppl could look down into your balconies in some of the pictures. Thinking my husband will HATE this.

Please give me some good news. :)

Thanks!

It is slanted BUT the people above can not see into your balcony unless you are hanging over the railing.

I dont know what "type" of privacy are you looking for but please note there are cameras. and the dividers are at an angle when the next door neighbor can see too

looking down:

283579565CHCwCx_th.jpg

divider:

283587817YmLkYS_th.jpg

Looking for the type of privacy that will allow me to walk out in the morning and have a cup of coffee in my pajamas or a glass of wine without worrying about all the ppl partying upstairs taking a gander. I'd also like some alone time with my husband since we rarely see each other without two kids looking over our shoulder. Didn't mean for everyone to take "privacy" the wrong way.

I'm sure most ppl understand that quiet time is precious when you only see your loved one 21 days a year.

Thanks for your help. I feel better about my choice now. I was getting a little apprehensive when I saw the pictures and then ppl complaining about cigarettes from the Lido deck etc. Just want a quite and relaxing - enjoyable time.

IMO one of the best reasons to book an aft cabin is privacy. There are only a few cabins back there. The only people who are walking around there, are people in those cabins. You do not hear the doors slamming, kids screaming, or other noises. It is very peaceful, and quiet at night.

Another reason is the view. You don't get the side view, you get the entire view. I love it!

We just got off the Grand in an aft suite. The wake was so loud that you could not talk to anyone in the cabin while on the balcony and you really needed to shout even while talking to others on the balcony. And you really can hear your neighbors because they have to shout. You couldn't hear anyone at the door. There was a constant vibration in the cabin and you could feel the boat really rocking during rough seas. Many nights I couldn't fall asleep because of the vibration. And there was no air movement - very hot even in the shade all the time. I think I prefer the side suites.

Planning 20th anniversary to Alaska. :DDont know which cruise line to take. carnival has been calling me and pushing to book.:rolleyes: but what are other lines like compared to carnival? we have only cruised carnival 2 times to sunny destinations.

any body been on other trips to alaska? how about those aft wrap arounds on spirit?

HELP!!! i am soooo lost.:confused:

Planning 20th anniversary to Alaska. :DDont know which cruise line to take. carnival has been calling me and pushing to book.:rolleyes: but what are other lines like compared to carnival? we have only cruised carnival 2 times to sunny destinations.

any body been on other trips to alaska? how about those aft wrap arounds on spirit?

DON'T book Carnival to AK until you've looked at other choices. One suggestion would be to really study Princess. It's hard to beat their itineraries (especially the land tours) and lodges and experience in AK. Are you looking at a 7-day cruise only or also wanting to get into the interior (Denali, etc)? Either way, Princess has lots of options and you'll get more "bang for your buck" with them than with Carnival (my opinion). Another good company for Alaska is Holland America. Ships tend to be smaller, but quite lovely with larger staterooms (many with bathtubs!). Demographic tends to be a little older and perhaps more traditional.

i strongly suggest aft cabins ,on our last cruise we were in the very front of the ship the motion didn`t bother me but in rough seas the waves hitting the front of the ship was very loud!!!!! and couldn``````t sleep.like steel on steel

aft, aft.. did someone say aft balcony.. count me in!!!.. love them.. I let the people in the front of the ship break the waves... besides aft balconies are always larger!

I traveled to Alaska on the Carnival Spirit and the Sapphire Princess. The Spirit seem to stay closer to shore, but I preferred the Sapphire for Alaska. I've had aft balconies on both and Princess has sliding glass doors which I loved. The aft balconies on Princess have some covered and some not. The covered balcony made it nice on rainy days. All that being said, both were great.

we have onlly cruised with royal caribbean and i must say the food and sevice is 5 star ,never had any issues with any staff or food just can`t say enough,we are cruising again jan14 on rccl out of fort lauerdale

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

this is one of the cabins we were looking to book and I was wondering if you had any pictures. I tried to click on your avatar, but it took me to another picture. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

wbmom

Hubby and I are looking into a Med cruise in December on the RC Navigator. Anyone know if there is a "big steel" thing on this ship that would get in the way of the view? I like the idea of no wind because it will be winter when we are crusing - at least until we get to Egypt :) What floor would be the best to choose?

Also, anyone with any bad experiences crusing Eqypt during the Christmas holiday season - I'm hearing a lot about the unrest at the Gaza strip, etc. right now and am wondering if it's a 'repetitive, seasonal' type of thing?

Archived