On board currency

parthia

It is deemed that the currency on the IE is Sterling-so therefore having a

Lloyds Debit card can anyone confirm the a DEBIT card would be acceptable by the ship's admin people as payment for usage onboard ship

as opposed to using a CREDIT card which will add on charges,interest on balances etc-I think I have seen somewhere in print-many thanks:)

Lloyds Debit card can anyone confirm the a DEBIT card would be acceptable by the ship's admin people as payment for usage onboard ship

as opposed to using a CREDIT card which will add on charges,interest on balances etc-I think I have seen somewhere in print-many thanks:)

Yes Parthia, you can use your debit card to settle your account. Latest cruise brochure January 2010 to April 2011, page 186 "Delta, Visa and Mastercard debit cards are accepted on all Thomson ships". Hope that answers your question.:):)

Jan

Just to add,

The ship doesn't charge you if you settle your bill by C.C. rather than debit card.

It's only your card provider who will if you don't clear the bill when you get the statement as would be usual.

Berwyn

Just to add,

The ship doesn't charge you if you settle your bill by C.C. rather than debit card.

It's only your card provider who will if you don't clear the bill when you get the statement as would be usual.

Berwyn

We used cc and don't remember a charge but anyway for the relatively small amount on the bill it didn't really matter. There's a bit more security with a cc, the less people that have a debit card details the better. Don't forget to let the card holder know when you're going abroad otherwise they might block it if you start spending. We've done ours this week, mine was so much easier than DH's a I could do it on line whereas he had to phone up and answer a load of questions.:):)

Jan

Phoned RBS and HBOS - HBOS took more details than RBS :eek: did it by telephone took for ever to speak to a real person:rolleyes:

I don't know why they can't do it online like Barclaycard. DH had the 3rd degree when he phoned TSB and I just typed in the destination and dates away.

Jan

We.ve thought of anotherm option regarding ship finance;

Looking at the IE brochure it mentions that one could deposit a sum of say £200 (whether for both persons or would be for the cabin) with the purser-would one then be able to finalise the occount by credit/debit card?-or must it be cash only?

I am in two minds as to what to so for the best,we are trying for the best option to suit us-and ideas please?....7 days to go inclusive!!!!!

7 days :eek: you will miss the boat

I was thinking the same thing :D

you can do it the other way round I know. register your card as RR suggests and then you can pay all or part of it in cash before the end of the cruise. You can ask for a statement of account any time through the cruise from reception.

Berwyn

:)Thanks Berwyn-I was trying to outwit you all ofcourse it is only 6 days starting tomorrow (Saturday) inclusively;

I got your point regarding cash payments on the last day of cruise-and worth considering although a little worried about having large amounts of cash during the cruise-it should(hopefully)be deemed safe with the safe in the cabin or elsewhere-still there's time to consider.-many thanks to you all in the replies to this question.

D.W.

:)Thanks Berwyn-I was trying to outwit you all ofcourse it is only 6 days starting tomorrow (Saturday) inclusively;

I got your point regarding cash payments on the last day of cruise-and worth considering although a little worried about having large amounts of cash during the cruise-it should(hopefully)be deemed safe with the safe in the cabin or elsewhere-still there's time to consider.-many thanks to you all in the replies to this question.

D.W.

Parthia, don't worry and use your debit card. We used our cc and to be honest it was great not having to deal with cash all the time. Just handing over the card and signing for drinks, coffee etc. was a rest in itself. We don't like carrying a lot of cash but the ship is very safe and if you lock everything in your case you will be ok. Have checked with DH we weren't charged for the cc onboard and if you use your card it will save you a lot of time settling up on your last day as you will get your account under your cabin door the night before for you to check and anything you spend after that will just be on your cc. There is nothing to worry about, we had a couple of beers and sometimes a bottle of wine in the evening and the odd coffee in the day and with 2 bottles of Barcardi from duty free at £18 we spent around £120 for the week. We didn't go on any trips though which would increase the costs. It depends how much you drink but we brought wine and spirits onboard for the cabin which worked out well. Have a great time, we are off on the Celebration on Monday so will look forward to hearing how you got on when we get back in a couple of weeks.:):)

Jan

Have just returned from 2 weeks on IE. This is not a review but just to say we registered a Credit Card on arrival. That way we didn't have to go down to pay on our final night.

The small print at the back of the brochure does say there may be a small charge for paying by credit card. The transaction has not appeared on my CC account so I don't know about that yet. I loved the fact that we did not need to carry cash whilst onboard. (Unless you play bingo or gamble).

Please be careful with your money when you go ashore as there are pick-pockets at work!

As I've said this is not a review yet but just to say we enjoyed our cruise and would go back. Enjoy!! :)

Have just returned from 2 weeks on IE. This is not a review but just to say we registered a Credit Card on arrival. That way we didn't have to go down to pay on our final night.

The small print at the back of the brochure does say there may be a small charge for paying by credit card. The transaction has not appeared on my CC account so I don't know about that yet. I loved the fact that we did not need to carry cash whilst onboard. (Unless you play bingo or gamble).

Please be careful with your money when you go ashore as there are pick-pockets at work!

As I've said this is not a review yet but just to say we enjoyed our cruise and would go back. Enjoy!! :)

Hiya Moto9, Welcome back, glad to hear you had a good time. I'm right in the middle of packing, gardening, housework etc. Check-in tomorrow and travel Monday, can't wait but it's exhausting doing all the prep. work.:):) Just taking 5 before starting again, phew!! lol.

Jan

Moto..told you it would be good :D

Yes you did RR! Hope you have a great time!! :)

Hiya Moto9, Welcome back, glad to hear you had a good time. I'm right in the middle of packing, gardening, housework etc. Check-in tomorrow and travel Monday, can't wait but it's exhausting doing all the prep. work.:):) Just taking 5 before starting again, phew!! lol.

Jan

Yes Jan I remember!! I left my house spotless and that was lovely to come home to. Now I'm surrounded by clothes - all washed, some ironed & loads to put away!! But it is all worth it. Have a great time! :)

Yes you did RR! Hope you have a great time!! :)

Yes Jan I remember!! I left my house spotless and that was lovely to come home to. Now I'm surrounded by clothes - all washed, some ironed & loads to put away!! But it is all worth it. Have a great time! :)

Thanks Moto, just come in from sorting out the garden and now I've got the foot spa out and a glass of wine, just haven't had time to sort the house out much. That's the trouble with going for 2 weeks, when I get back it'll all have grown back. AND worse still the strawberries are ripening.:):) I love strawberries, yum! yum!

Jan

Bloody hell you olduns..:p

And your point is? :p Us women know if we don't get everything in order it's going to be us who has to get it sorted when we come back. So there, lol. :p

Jan

Archived