How to get to Reindeer Farm

lazarru

We're going to be driving from Anchorage to Matanuska Glacier for evening hike on the glacier. We have to be at the glacier by 5, looks like it's a 2 hr drive from Anchorage. We're thinking of making stops at the Musk Ox farm and the Reindeer Farm, doing those stops as well as getting lunch somewhere should cover the day. My question though is how to get to the Reindeer farm, can anyone give good directions on how to get there, looks like it's before Palmer but not sure where getting off Glenn Hgwy to get there.

Thanks

We do everything in Alaska by mile posts so thats how everything is located.

Plan to leave Anchorage in the morning no later then say 9:00am or 9:30am. Be fully gased up, I suggest a small cheap strafoam(sp) cooler for water and drinks, ice, snacks etc.

Thier are several grocery stores in Anchorage like Wal-Mart, Fred Myer, Carrs-Safeway, etc. This is a good place to stock up on items as things get more expensive the more north you go. Dont forget bug spray(dope) and Sunscreen. Also get a small first aide kit and make sure thier are flares in the car and also a cellphone is a great idea.

Leave Anchorage heading North on the Gourge Parks Highway towards the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. Your looking for signs that say Wasilla. Thats the right direction.

Wasilla is roughly about 35 miles north of Anchorage. Stay on the parks highway. If you want to deviate to see Palmer, the raindeer farm, the musk ox farm, you will come to a Y in the road. You really cant miss it and thier are signs every where. Its simple either keep going towards Wasilla or turn and go to Palmer.

If you go to Palmer once you have done everything in Palmer you want to do. Head back on the Palmer-Wasilla Highway and it will take you directly back in to Wasilla.

These where directions I gave someone else and they will give you the idea as well on how to get to the raindeer farm and musk ox farm. Also check out the mile post website

http://milepost.com/index.php

You want to head out of Anchorage heading north on the Gourge Parks Highway.

Adri :)

So there are signs for Reindeer Farm off the main highway?

Also I'm confused and just hope you missed where we were going, we're going to the Matanuska Glacier which is out Rt1(glenn highway) in fact it says to go towards Palmer and not Wasilla, am I'm missing something?

Actually, it's the Glenn Highway you'll be on (now we're really confusing people!). After you pass the signs for Thunderbird falls and Eklutna, the road starts through the "flats" (you'll know when you're there--the first really flat area you come to, with mountains on the right side and low shrubs and grassy area on the flat left side. There will be a sign for "Palmer Alternate" that gives mileage to Palmer and Wasilla. Take the alternate route. You will be leaving the Glenn Highway for the Old Glenn Highway. If you miss this turn, no problem...just go on to Palmer and go from the other end. But with the alternate route, you don't have to backtrack. Once you're on the Old Glenn Highway, here are the directions:

http://www.reindeerfarm.com/

When you leave the reindeer farm, you can continue around the loop (or go back the way you came in) and turn LEFT on the Old Glenn. That will take you right into Palmer.

Have a great day!

So there are signs for Reindeer Farm off the main highway?

Also I'm confused and just hope you missed where we were going, we're going to the Matanuska Glacier which is out Rt1(glenn highway) in fact it says to go towards Palmer and not Wasilla, am I'm missing something?

You're fine...I think Adri hasn't had her coffee yet this a.m. And no there aren't signs off the main highway.

mytime is correct in her directions it is faster to take the old glen highway turn off. But if that is missed then continue and head towards Wasilla but as I said turn on the Y and head to Palmer. Use the Milepost website also contact the raindeer farm and get good directions. You can also call them while in route.

But if you do miss the old glen Highway turn off signs continue on as my directions indicated.

Sorry for the confusion also the directions to get to Wasilla and Palmer are the exact same at first then only deviate slightly so dont be confused. As you are heading to Palmer you are also heading to Wasilla and all points north. The old Glenn highway is just a shorter way to get to Palmer and the raindeer farm is all as mytime pointed out.

The small alternate route you are taking is the old way in to Palmer and it is the way to the glacier and to the raindeer farm and to the musk ox farm and then will also take you right in to Palmer which is worth seeing.

Perfect thanks for the quick replies, it looked like I wanted the Old Glenn loop but wanted to be sure, with all the 10's of roads in Alaska wouldn't want to get lost :)

Your welcome and sorry for the confusion. Also lol at all ten roads. We dont have many which does help. You can also stop and ask for directions Alaskans are fairly friendly and if they know where you need to go will usually be happy to help.

The raindeer farm, Musk ox farm, Mat-su glacier, Palmer, Wasilla etc are fairly common places to go so most people should have a basic idea as alaskans on how to get thier.

Rt1(glenn highway) ?

On our numbers: Giving numbers to our highways is something recent, and putting the numbers on signs even more so. So when our visiting cousins called yesterday and I asked them where they were, they told me highway 1. I had to ask for a landmark, as I didn't have a clue which highway that was:o! They had driven to Homer, so it could have been any of 4 highways--Seward, Sterling, Glenn, or Parks.:confused:

So just a heads up when traveling and asking questions of locals...most of us don't have a clue what highway you're talking about if you use the numbers...we'll get it down one of these days. But it does feel like losing a bit of history when we change the names to numbers instead of people's names.

On our numbers: Giving numbers to our highways is something recent, and putting the numbers on signs even more so. So when our visiting cousins called yesterday and I asked them where they were, they told me highway 1. I had to ask for a landmark, as I didn't have a clue which highway that was:o! They had driven to Homer, so it could have been any of 4 highways--Seward, Sterling, Glenn, or Parks.:confused:

So just a heads up when traveling and asking questions of locals...most of us don't have a clue what highway you're talking about if you use the numbers...we'll get it down one of these days. But it does feel like losing a bit of history when we change the names to numbers instead of people's names.

Yep I agree with this. I dont think I will ever get it down totally. The Parks highway will always be the parks highway. Same with all the others. Im like Highway 1 hello whats that lmao. Then again about ten years ago they put in street names for a dirt road area by my house and to this day I dont know the street signs. But I know all the homes and who lives in them. Thats not from being nosy fyi to those reading this. It comes from 39 years of living in the same place and having very few houses in the area sold or built latly. The last house built in the area was 10 years ago and the whole area calls it "The new house" lol.

I can relate to the Old Glenn Highway when it was the only Glenn Highway. I have to admit that I still get around on my old trails and haven't modernized much.

Before those fancy trip odometers in cars, we learned to add and subject by calculating mile posts.

And our clocks had hands.

I was just getting ready to ask this same questions.

However, I will be heading to Palmer directly from Denali.

So, would I just head South on Parks Hwy and then take a Left on Glenn Highway and then look for the Old Glenn Hwy, also?

So, would I just head South on Parks Hwy and then take a Left on Glenn Highway and then look for the Old Glenn Hwy, also?

It depends where in Palmer are you going? Are you also going to the Raindeer farm and the Musk Ox farm and Mat-su Glacier.

See the thing is coming from Denali its actually shorter to head just past Wasilla where you will come to a Y in the highway. One way will say Palmer and the other way continues on to Anchorage.

Come to this Y and turn towards Palmer. Keep going until you get to Palmer. At that point you will be in downtown Palmer, then make your way to the Musk Ox Farm, Raindeer farm and/or Mat-su glacier if those are places you want to go.

Keep in mind coming from Denali driving a car that thier are gas places along the highway. But they can be few and far between. Thier are no Gas stations in Houston so Willow is a good place to gas up as is Wasilla which you will go right through. So just be aware :).

Hope this helps,

Before those fancy trip odometers in cars, we learned to add and subject by calculating mile posts.

I still think it's more accurate to use mile posts since many businesses and homes along the road system use them as addresses.

I still think it's more accurate to use mile posts since many businesses and homes along the road system use them as addresses.

Yep its how I give directions to my house to this day lol which is also a business :),

Adri

2 ways:

1) At Fred Meyer in Wasilla, turn left on Palmer/Wasilla Highway. Take that to Palmer and the intersection of the Glenn Highway--turn left. At the next light, turn right. I don't know the name of the road right there, but after a couple of blocks, you will be on the Old Glenn Highway. After about 7 miles, you'll be at the blinking light at Bodenburg Loop. Turn right.

2) Stay on the Parks Highway until it intersects with the Glenn Highway...the exit to Palmer will be on your right. Stay on that until the 3rd road (on the right) into Palmer (it's the second light), and that will lead straight into the Old Glenn.

Giving these businesses numbers instead of using miles is driving me crazy. You have to find 2 businesses with a number on them so you can figure out which way to go!

Thanks so much!

Is the Palmer- Wasila Hwy a good route, or do you think it would be better to take Parks? Which one would you both take?:)

I think the Palmer-Wasilla Highway is very senic and its a great way to see off the beat a little more Alaskan and not as touristy. Thats the way I go when im going from Wasilla to Palmer and back. I rarely if ever take the Parks then turn on the Y as its longer to get to Palmer that way.

Thanks so much!

Is the Palmer- Wasila Hwy a good route, or do you think it would be better to take Parks? Which one would you both take?:)

I would take the P-W Hwy unless I was headed to the opposite side of Palmer as you are headed for. It does have more traffic and stoplights, as it is pretty much developed all the way from Wasilla to Palmer now. I avoid it in the winter time at school start and get out time, because of being behind school buses. I also avoid it from 5 to 6. Otherwise, I don't think it's too bad. Part of the reason I take it is to see what new businesses there are since the last time I went that way!

I would take the P-W Hwy unless I was headed to the opposite side of Palmer as you are headed for. It does have more traffic and stoplights, as it is pretty much developed all the way from Wasilla to Palmer now. I avoid it in the winter time at school start and get out time, because of being behind school buses. I also avoid it from 5 to 6. Otherwise, I don't think it's too bad. Part of the reason I take it is to see what new businesses there are since the last time I went that way!

It can be a pain, but I just dont like the Parks and the Y turn off either. I prefer the Palmer-Wasilla Highway and just like you, I like to see what new businesses have been added. Also I just like that way better for driving. If they want to see Palmer which is worth seeing then this is the way I would go as well. Downtown Palmer is rather cool with the visitors centre and everything.

Archived