Stone Island-Mazatlan

jking917

I want to do something fun and think I have narrowed it down to going to Stone Island as it looks like there are things to do there. If I book it through RCCL it is $65 and includes lunch and drinks. Is this something that would be better to do on my own? How do I get there? It will probably be just myself and my 13 year old daughter, so I need the easiest and safest way to do this. For anyone who has been there, what have you done for entertainment? We will be there in August so the humidy is going to be a killer.

If horseback riding on Stone Island sounds like something you and your DD would enjoy, google "Randi's Happy Horses". This will be my first time in Mazatlan, but a bunch of us on the Mariner "Boo Cruise" roll call just signed up for Randi's. There's lots of information about Randi's, and Stone Island in general, on this thread.

Hope this helps a little -- and have a great cruise on Mariner!

I want to do something fun and think I have narrowed it down to going to Stone Island as it looks like there are things to do there. If I book it through RCCL it is $65 and includes lunch and drinks. Is this something that would be better to do on my own? How do I get there? It will probably be just myself and my 13 year old daughter, so I need the easiest and safest way to do this. For anyone who has been there, what have you done for entertainment? We will be there in August so the humidy is going to be a killer.

DW and I do this on our own. Explore the MR site and you will find lots of information. Below is a typical quote.

"You will have to take the tram from the ship to the entrance to the city. Continue through the building, past the vendors and taxi drivers, and walk out of the cruise pier area onto the city street. Turn left and walk along the concrete wall about three blocks. The street will make a right turn but you want to walk straight ahead, down a dirt road for about 50 yards (don't turn left, that's the Mexican Navy). Pay your $2 US per person round trip and keep your ticket for the return trip. When you get to the other side of the bay, walk straight ahead from the dock, over a berm and voila, Stone Island."

$65!!! I'll take you there for $20! In all seriousness, do NOT pay the $65, save $40 and do it on your own!

When you come out of the cruise ship area (you'll know you're out), make a left. Walk down a few block, no more than 10 minutes. On the left side, you'll see the water. Take the water taxi for about $2.00 a person to Stone Island. Once there, you can walk it to the restaurants (its quite a walk) or have the 'taxi' take you (recommended, only about 5 minute or so drive). You need to pick the restaurant, we do Victors and kick back! Plenty of sports/activities, i.e., horseback riding, atv's, banana boats, etc.... We've done the ATV's and the banana boat ride. Some on our group have done the jet skis.

There's no need to spend the $65, use that for drinks, lol!

I did Stone Island on my own with my then 6 year old son. We had a nice quiet time. Further down the beach, was a lot more action but I preferred the quietness of the place where we were. There was a small restaurant by the beach, my son played with the owner's son by the water, neither spoke the same language, but they had a great time

I did Stone Island on my own with my then 6 year old son. We had a nice quiet time. Further down the beach, was a lot more action but I preferred the quietness of the place where we were. There was a small restaurant by the beach, my son played with the owner's son by the water, neither spoke the same language, but they had a great time

That sounds really nice. Do you recall what restaurant?

Thanks!

We decided not to book a tour but go on our own. Well when we got off the ship we were bombarded with tour guides. Be careful many our time share sellers. Any way we did book a tour and I am glad we did. We talked them down to 30.00 per adult. 20 for children. Included a van to the water taxi. ( you could walk but the ride was nice in the heat) Water taxi to Stone Island then picked us up in a fun tractor type trolley. Took us to a restruant where they had nice lounges in the shade.Tables to eat our lunch, and clean restrooms. Included lunch, choice of three activities. Horseback ride, boogie boards (the kids loved that)Banana boat. Lunch and drinks included. The nice part was our tour guide stayed at our table and kept a eye on all our belonging while we played. Afterwards he gave us a nice hour long drive thru town on our way back to the ship.

Hey All,

Going with my family; spouse, 13 yo daughter and 10 yo son on the Splendor to Mexican Riviera. I was interested in Stone Island then I read on, I think, tripadvisor, that it was somewhat unsanitary, and just nothing that great. We've been to Mexico 4 times already, so I know more or less what to expect, but this was pretty graphic. Was the reviewer just overly critical? Love to hear from folks.

Thx, Drummer Dave :cool:

It is "primitive" compared to the resort zone, but if you go with that in mind and are careful about what you eat and drink...we went to Victor's and had beer/pop and ribs/quesadillas with no "repercussions". The restrooms weren't fancy but they were clean and as my husband put it - better than some gas stations he has seen.

Not being the adventuresome type I personally probably would go with a tour or Randi's Happy Horses rather than by ourselves, but that is true for almost any excursion in Mexico for me. Personal preference, not a reflection on Stone Island.

Hope this helps.

I just noticed you are on the same cruise as me. Would you like to join us? We are going to Stone Island on our own and just hang at Victor.

Cruising71-I would love to be able to join you at Stone Island. At least then I would feel safe. It will probably be just me (Julie-42), my son (22), and my daughter (13). Who are you going to be going with? Please feel free to email me at JKing917@aol.com and let's see what we can arrange.

Stone Island was our favorite place, we were also on Splendor in May. We walked to the water taxi ourself, played at the beach all day had lunch at Carlitas and the waiter watched our stuff all day. He let us use his out door showers to get all the salt off of us before we left and was very curtious! My whole family loved it!

Stone Island was our favorite place, we were also on Splendor in May. We walked to the water taxi ourself, played at the beach all day had lunch at Carlitas and the waiter watched our stuff all day. He let us use his out door showers to get all the salt off of us before we left and was very curtious! My whole family loved it!

Can you give me detail direction from port to the water taxi? How long is the walk? Once you are on Stone Island, did you take the taxi to Carlitas?

Cruising71, I don't think there are taxis on Stone Island, it sounds like just a truck and/or tractor for cheap rides along the beach to the restaurant area

jking917 (Julie): we are also on the Mariner on 8/22 and will be at Victor's on Stone Island but we are first going on Randi's Happy Horses. Maybe we will see you there (My sister and I and my daughter celebrating her 21st!) Have you signed up for the Meet and Mingle yet? We only need 2 more passengers to sign up and RC will host a party for us! Please sign up if you have not. Also, come join us in the Roll Call Thread! There are quite a few friendly, helpful folk that visit the thread with questions and answers. See ya there!

Cruising71, I don't think there are taxis on Stone Island, it sounds like just a truck and/or tractor for cheap rides along the beach to the restaurant area

jking917 (Julie): we are also on the Mariner on 8/22 and will be at Victor's on Stone Island but we are first going on Randi's Happy Horses. Maybe we will see you there (My sister and I and my daughter celebrating her 21st!) Have you signed up for the Meet and Mingle yet? We only need 2 more passengers to sign up and RC will host a party for us! Please sign up if you have not. Also, come join us in the Roll Call Thread! There are quite a few friendly, helpful folk that visit the thread with questions and answers. See ya there!

Yes, Jking...join us on the roll call.

C- do you know how much does it cost to ride the tractor to victor?

Can you give me detail direction from port to the water taxi? How long is the walk? Once you are on Stone Island, did you take the taxi to Carlitas?

I can help you with directions to Stone Island. Go out of the cruise terminal to the street and turn left. Go approximately three blocks to where the street turns. Don't turn !! proceed straight ahead down a dirt road about a block to the building on the end. The water taxi is 2 dollars US or 20 pesos for the round trip. When you get to the other side of the channel, walk over the dike and you will see the beach ahead of you. Sometimes there is a pick-up with bench seats in the back if you want a ride to the restaurants. He will charge a couple of dollars, but it is a nice walk up the beach.

We were there last Wednesday. There was a guy waiting near the dropoff with a pickup that had bench seats in the bed of his pickup which was covered by a fabric canopy for shade. He charged us $5 to take four adults and five kids to the beach. We drove down some bumpy dirt roads behind the restaurants and he dropped us off right where we asked - by Lety's and Victor's.

On the way back, we walked down the beach since it wasn't very far.

We love a good deal and even though I read how you can do Stone Island by yourself, we opted to go with Johann and Sandra's Stone Island Tour. That was the second time we've used this company- our third time will be for our Sept cruise when we're in Coz.

The Stone Island tour was $36/pp and included: pick up from the pier, a ride over to Stone Island, the tractor ride to the open air restaurant (Playa Sur), open bar all afternoon long, a really good lunch, plus two activity tickets. A friend opted to go horseback riding twice. We could also choose from snorkeling, banana boat rides, or kayaks. There were plenty of chairs and shade- good sand, good beach. The tour also included the rides back plus about a 45 minute boat ride around points of interest in the bay. We are still talking about how much fun we had and what a bargain that day was for everything we got and with no hassles.

143772319_2009cruise1.jpg.c2419c25e31d28b4511df20ca6186fbb.jpg

1808765154_2009cruise2.jpg.8350baadaa4580cf06186c41b646684a.jpg

We love a good deal and even though I read how you can do Stone Island by yourself, we opted to go with Johann and Sandra's Stone Island Tour. That was the second time we've used this company- our third time will be for our Sept cruise when we're in Coz.

THANKS for the info...we did Randis Horses the first time in MAZ and then a timeshare thing...this sounds like a GOOD deal for our February cruise!!

I haven't been, but from lots of posts, it sounds like $2 for your party to ride to the restaurants. Klfhngr, if I'm wrong, chime in please.

The lady with the small pickup didn't really give us a price, but there were over 10 of us, we gave her a few bucks.. She even went back to Victors AFTER and picked us up again!

The below is a recommendation when I asked about Mazatlan on another board:

If you want to try something a little different, consider going over to Stone Island (Isla de la Piedra). When your ship docks you'll be very close to where the launches embark to Stone Island–a 5-10 minute trip and the fare is around $20-30MN (pesos). Stone island is actually a long peninsula directly across from the ship channel. The beach there is beautiful and it's about the best swimming place in Mazatlán: the ocean water is warm and calm and clear, almost no waves. All along the beach are palapa stands/restaurants serving fresh, cheap fish grilled or broiled (and, of course, ice-cold beer). If you get tired of sitting on the sand, sit on a chair at a table in the open-air palapa places, put your feet up on a table and stare at the ocean or read a book or magazine. All the palapa restaurants serve essentially the same food at the same prices. One that's a particular favorite of Mazatlán expats is Lety's. Stone Island's beaches are visited mostly by locals, especially on the weekends. You'll have plenty of time to get over there, enjoy yourself, and get back. It's actually quicker to get over to Stone Island from the cruise ship docks than it is to get out to the Zona Dorada area (tourist zone).

These are my comments when I visited Stone Island. I was on Norweigan in November 2009.

The next day was Mazatlan. Many thanks to diglidden for the recommendation of LETY'S on Stone Island, It was a short walk from the cruise terminal to the shack where you buy your ticket ($2.) for the quick motorboat ride across the water to Stone Island. Walked down the beach, it was about 9:30am and high tide was going out. I believe I saw 3 other people at that hour. (More people arrived later.) Put my bag down on a front row wooden sun bed, and was immediately brought a comfortable pad for it.

Asked for a menu when lunchtime arrived, saw many camarones listed, but to my disappointment no aqua chili, guess it's not a tourist item. Ask and you shall receive. White shrimp drizzled with lime juice, with a heavenly amount of sliced serrano chili amid a small amount of red onion. Sliced cucumbers ringed the plate, which were sprinkled with chili pepper. Aaaaah!

Ordered the pescado zarandeado. It was enough for 2 people and unbeliveably good. I shared a tiny bit with the cat who became my friend. Total cost including beach chair with pad, and 2 bottles of water: $18.

The below is a recommendation when I asked about Mazatlan on another board:

If you want to try something a little different, consider going over to Stone Island (Isla de la Piedra). When your ship docks you'll be very close to where the launches embark to Stone Island–a 5-10 minute trip and the fare is around $20-30MN (pesos). Stone island is actually a long peninsula directly across from the ship channel. The beach there is beautiful and it's about the best swimming place in Mazatlán: the ocean water is warm and calm and clear, almost no waves. All along the beach are palapa stands/restaurants serving fresh, cheap fish grilled or broiled (and, of course, ice-cold beer). If you get tired of sitting on the sand, sit on a chair at a table in the open-air palapa places, put your feet up on a table and stare at the ocean or read a book or magazine. All the palapa restaurants serve essentially the same food at the same prices. One that's a particular favorite of Mazatlán expats is Lety's. Stone Island's beaches are visited mostly by locals, especially on the weekends. You'll have plenty of time to get over there, enjoy yourself, and get back. It's actually quicker to get over to Stone Island from the cruise ship docks than it is to get out to the Zona Dorada area (tourist zone).

These are my comments when I visited Stone Island. I was on Norweigan in November 2009.

The next day was Mazatlan. Many thanks to diglidden for the recommendation of LETY'S on Stone Island, It was a short walk from the cruise terminal to the shack where you buy your ticket ($2.) for the quick motorboat ride across the water to Stone Island. Walked down the beach, it was about 9:30am and high tide was going out. I believe I saw 3 other people at that hour. (More people arrived later.) Put my bag down on a front row wooden sun bed, and was immediately brought a comfortable pad for it.

Asked for a menu when lunchtime arrived, saw many camarones listed, but to my disappointment no aqua chili, guess it's not a tourist item. Ask and you shall receive. White shrimp drizzled with lime juice, with a heavenly amount of sliced serrano chili amid a small amount of red onion. Sliced cucumbers ringed the plate, which were sprinkled with chili pepper. Aaaaah!

Ordered the pescado zarandeado. It was enough for 2 people and unbeliveably good. I shared a tiny bit with the cat who became my friend. Total cost including beach chair with pad, and 2 bottles of water: $18.

Thanks for the advice. I think I got the direction down from the port. When I leave the gated area, turn left...walk until the road turn, but continue going onto the dirt road and I will see the water taxi right?

Archived