Who's the best Carnival cruise director?

gslargent

Just got off the Dream..where was Todd? WE were stuck with the worst ever Josh....Big Sexy, *****!!!! he had to give him that name himself..did he think it would be cute? He was annoying beyond belief. I rarely saw him and when I did I walk the other way. The way he had stuff scheduled made little sense. Put a pile of old oatmeal on the floor and watch..thats about how exciting Josh was.

The most entertaining was Jamie on the Pride last year.

Just got off the Dream..where was Todd? WE were stuck with the worst ever Josh....Big Sexy, *****!!!! he had to give him that name himself..did he think it would be cute? He was annoying beyond belief. I rarely saw him and when I did I walk the other way. The way he had stuff scheduled made little sense. Put a pile of old oatmeal on the floor and watch..thats about how exciting Josh was.

Funny how we look at things differently.

Josh was our CD on the Miracle his first week as acting CD and thought he was excellent. Sometimes they have an off week and sometimes someone I think I would have liked turned out I didnt.

We really liked Ryan and several on here hated him.

In any case the CD is not why we cruise.

We recently sailed on The Miracle (10-6-10) and we thought Malcolm Burn was entertaining, funny especially at the Love & Marriage show he was hysterical!! BUT his morning show on the CCL TV station needs improvement!! We've never sailed with John Heald but everyone should check out his videos on YouTube, they are so funny!!! Malcolm's assistant cruise director Will is great, he was Jaime's assistant on The Pride earlier this year and hopefully one day he will get a cruise director position, he definitely deserves it. Our vote still goes to Jorge(aka George)as the best cruise director we have sailed with.

Jen seems to get the worst reviews so we were apparently lucky to have John Heald filling in for her on the Legend a year ago. He was so funny! We had Malcolm Burn and enjoyed him as well. Just got off the Freedom where we had Ryan Fitzgerald for the second time. Although not as hilarious as the other two, he still has a good sense of humor and very nice personality. He had several meet & greets on the Triumph a couple of years ago....how many cruise directors do that? On the last sea day on the Freedom we saw Ryan sitting in the cafe area. We approached him and he sincerely remembered chatting with us on the Triumph.

I read Todd is now on the Liberty

Who's the best CD in the Carnival bunch in your opinion? And what do you think makes a good one?

I think a good CD is constantly welcoming and reasonably quick-witted. That's why I was really disheartened a few days ago when John Heald mentioned something on his blog about Stephanie Meads being close to being a full-time CD. She subbed for Stu Dunn on our Spirit cruise earlier this year and was terrible.

I'm sure Stephanie's a great person with her own strengths (given how she has earned Heald's approval), but everything she did on our cruise seemed forced, scripted, and aloof. As a teacher, she reminded me of newbie teachers who are more worried about micromanaging everything than actually paying attention to the give-and-take around them. I could easily picture her slinging buzzwords in a marketing department meeting, but she was painful to watch whenever we saw her try to lead an activity. More than once people around us were mocking her or rolling their eyes. Not a pretty situation.

She seems like a good person to have reading a PR statement in front of the cameras, not someone to mingle with the guests. Her attempts to joke and the way she would literally wedge herself in next to the captain every time he appeared was just a cringefest. I felt like we were just another generic crowd for her to stare at as she recited her lines. Luckily the entertainment staff was much more personable and visible that week.

(Okay, now I feel like a jerk for badmouthing someone who may have just been off her game for that cruise. Part of me wonders if my expectations for a CD revolve around a type of humour and personality that's easier for men to pull off, but, no, I'm fine with Julie from the Love Boat! :p)

We had Jen on our first cruise on the Legend a couple of years ago. We really got tired of hearing her voice for some reason.

John Heald was on the Dream when we went in March and I could listen to him all day and never get tired. We loved him.

He is on the Splendor now which we will be on in February. The schedule isn't out yet so I don't know who we will have. I hope it's John......

Archived