Paris - where to have dinner during a 6-hour layover?

Leejnd4

Hi,

We're going to have a 6-hour layover in Paris on a Thursday evening when we're flying to Europe for our cruise in May. We're arriving at about 2pm, and our next flight doesn't depart until 8:15. We were thinking of taking the metro into the city and having dinner somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions of what might be a really nice spot to spend a couple hours in Paris? I know, it's horrible to imagine only having that much time in this city! Oh well, at least we'd like to make the best of it.

Some of you might remember that I posted a thread a while back worrying about an unmanageably tight connection in Paris. Thankfully, I finally got the airline to agree to extend our connection, but the only option was having a 6 hour layover. I'd rather have too much time than too less, so now we've got to figure out what to do while we're there.

Thanks for your help!

LeeAnne

LeeAnn,

The problem would be with the times. Dinning times usually do not start until 6 PM and that is early for them. Your best bet would be to do a really late lunch at a bistro or even a braisserie. A quick dinner would last about 1 1/2 hr min and that would not allow for enought time to make it back to the airport.

If you take the metro into the city just stop at any cafe and if the weather is at all decent eat outside. You can people watch, have a light meal then head back for your flight. If you have a chance get a crepe at at creperie (sp sorry) and eat it while walking back to the metro station.

Sue

Now that sounds wonderful! I guess you're right about the timing. Besides, our internal clocks are going to be all messed up, so really, it'll be breakfast time to us.

I haven't been to Paris for about 15 years. Where would you suggest we go for some nice cafes and good people-watching? Should we go near the Eiffel Tower, the Arc d'Triomphe, along the Champs de Elyses, or some other spot?

LeeAnne

I haven't been to Paris for about 15 years. Where would you suggest we go for some nice cafes and good people-watching? Should we go near the Eiffel Tower, the Arc d'Triomphe, along the Champs de Elyses, or some other spot?
For minimum stress, what I'd do is this: Take the RER from CDG to Chatelet (no changes). Just come out of the system there and walk to the river, and then cross over to the island where Notre Dame is. There are lots of cafes and restaurants near there. Admittedly, it's all a bit touristy, but it's reliable and easy to do by train. When you're ready to go back to the airport, you just need to jump back onto the RER at Chatelet and get back to CDG - although you need to make sure that you're on the right train (it's on one of the B lines), CDG is at the end of its line so the train's destination will say CDG airport. And many of the trains stop once only after Chatelet (at the Gare du Nord) - their next stop is then CDG T1, and CDG T2 after that.

There are also actually quite a lot of cafes and restaurants in the area of Chatelet and Les Halles as well, near the station.

LeeJnd4,

I wish I have an extra day to spend in Paris in my next trip too. I agree with Globalizer with regards to the location to spend for the day...One can either go to a cafe next to Notre Dame (Ile De La Cite area) or cross the Pont St Michel continuing to Blvd Saint Michel to the left bank to Latin Quarter. One can also turn left to Quai St Michel continuing to Quai de Montebello continuing to Quai de la Tournelle to go to a cafe in Latin Quarter ca;;ed "Rotisserie du Beaujolais", which serves roasting poultry and meats; it only opens for lunch from noon to 0230 and closes until dinner time at 7:00 or so. It faces the Seine. It is next to the famous and more pricy restaurant "La Tour d'Argent" (same owner). This area has good views of Notre Dame. If one wonders further away from the Seine and Latin Quarter, one will be at the Luxembourg garden, where there usually are lots of college students...

One can also from Pont St Michel go to Blvd St Michel, then turn right on St Germain-Des-Pres Blvd to go to St-Germain-Des-Pres area. "Les Deux Magots" is a famous cafe that serves light food all day, on 170 Blvd St Germain; phone 01 45 48 55 25. I have relatives and friends living there, and my mom and I very much enjoy spending time and people watching at these indoor/outdoor cafes...Of course we would enjoy hanging out at Les Champs Elysees and Montmartre too, but the Latin Quarter/Notre Dame would be our choice if we only have a day to spend. Let us know if you have decided otherwise, we have recommendations for restaurants/cafes in other areas as well. Check out http://www.viator.com (hop on hop off bus in Paris and other destinations)...

Kim

Thanks so much for this detailed info! I'm going to print this out and study a map of Paris so I'll be prepared. I realize it's not a lot of time, but hey, I'm not going to pass up an opportunity to spend a couple hours hanging out at a cafe in Paris! :)

LeeAnne

Archived