How do those from hot climates define "shorts weather" in Alaska?

mjroseville

There have been a few threads about what to pack for Alaska in the summer, including one of mine. As I've been reading the responses, it seemed to be there's quite a variation as to what defines "shorts weather." Someone mentioned jogging in shorts in 60 degree weather. Where we live, that would be bundle-up-in-sweats weather. It's in the high 90s and 100s here in the Sacramento area in summer.

Just wondering what people from hot summer climates consider to be warm or hot enough in Alaska to bring out the shorts or capris? Did you change to summer clothes when it was only in the 70s? If so, was there no wind, so that it seemed hotter than that?

Thanks in advance for your opinions ... I don't want to overpack capris if it's not really going to seem warm or hot to me.

There have been a few threads about what to pack for Alaska in the summer, including one of mine. As I've been reading the responses, it seemed to be there's quite a variation as to what defines "shorts weather." Someone mentioned jogging in shorts in 60 degree weather. Where we live, that would be bundle-up-in-sweats weather.

This made me laugh, because I was stationed for a year in Iceland and when the temperature got up to 45, the shorts came out! So yeah, "shorts weather" is relative.

This site might be useful for you: http://www.youralaskacruise.com/cruise-weather.html It gives the mean/max/min temps for all of the Alaska ports by month (historically).

Keep in mind that Alaska is North. That means our 65 for example can litterly feel like 70 degrees and ive heard that from many people not just us born and raised Alaskans lolol. So keep that in mind. That being said. Ive been known to break out the shorts in 45 degree weather as well.

Adri :)

I live in one of those climates where it feels like opening an oven door when stepping outside on a July day. Yesterday's high was 97 degrees, and it's only June. I think this one will be a dreadfully hot summer. (Glad to be departing for Alaska tomorrow! Yeee---heeee!!)

My mom's rule when I was growing up was 80 degrees before we could wear shorts. I remember my sister calling Mom at work when the time/temperature number reported 79. Mom's reply, "Call back when it says 80." I definitely cannot see myself wearing shorts in the 60's, even when the humidity would make it feel like 70.

That being said, there's another consideration as well. In Ketchikan last summer, there was a string of hot days. Temps were in the 80's, and shops/stores/taxis rarely have air conditioning (a standard on all vehicles in our area... we were shocked that car manufacturers would even still build such a primitive vehicle!).

I believe it will be necessary to pack one pair of shorts for this trip... just in case.

Shorts weather for adults is also different than shorts weather for kids...

When we went in August 2007, we had a number of warm days, and the kids did wear shorts around the ship on a couple of them. But once we were out and about, it was long pants even for them. When you were in the shade, it was pretty cool, even when it was warm out in the sun. I went back and double checked our pictures and even on days we remember as warm, they also had on light jackets.

When we went in May 2007 (just us no kids) the hottest day was near 80 degrees in Skagway and Ketchikan (almost unheard of from the locals), but for around town and such, it was still fine in long pants. I did wear a pair of convertible pants (Kohls $27) and for fun did remove the legs late in the afternoon in Skagway (just because I could). The only day that I almost wanted shorts on was eating lunch by the deck when in Ketchikan because there was no wind and lots of sun. As soon as we left port, the need for shorts was gone.

A lot depends on where you go and what you do. For example, if you doing excursions on snow, lakes or streams, its unlikely you are going to be wearing them.

PS. We call the Houston area home so that gives you some additional reference.

Where I live its like a sauna as soon as you walk out the door, so 60s is way too cold for shorts. For me it would have to be in the 80s to consider shorts. In the 60s I will still likely be wearing a sweater so..

In southern Alabama (heat plus humidity), I would still wear long pants in the 70s. In the 80s, lightweight pants are tolerable for short periods of time unless I'm out in the sun, but in the 90's even that is too hot. However, I should note that I tend to get cold more easily than many people. I think taking 5-10 degrees off my numbers would be more common.

I grew up in So. Calif. where it was often over 100 in the summer. Now I've been living in the Seattle area for nearly 20 years. If it's in the 60's, I'll wear capris, or even shorts if the sun is out or if I'll be active. Once it hits 70, I'll definitely wear shorts. If it gets above 80, long pants are unbearable!

When we cruised to AK last summer, it got up to 80 in places. It seemed unbearably hot in Ketchikan. As another poster mentioned, there is no A/C in the shops there! I wore shorts in ports and sometimes capris on the ship while at sea. I think I only wore long pants once, on a sea day when we were outside and it was breezy.

This year we are going later in the season, so I don't expect it to be as warm. Still, I plan to bring a few pairs of shorts, a couple pairs of capris, and a couple pairs of pants. For tops, layering is key. I do that at home anyway. I hate being cold, but I hate being too hot too.

Well its 68/20 here today in Alberta Canada and I am in shorts. I think it all depends if the sun is out.Its very common to be wearing shorts with a fleece jacket because in one day you can get sun, rain and snow.:eek:

We just got back from a 7 day to Alaska. It was in the 50s the whole time. I'm in Houston where it's 97 today.

I honestly believe the chances of wearing shorts are slim for a hot climate person like yourself. Pack a pair or two to wear on the boat. If by some fluke it's warm enough to wear shorts off the boat, you'll have them.

BTW, Alaska is out-of-this-world beautiful. You will not be diasppointed.

I'll wear shorts when it's around 75-76 depending on the tradewinds cause I get a chill if it's breezy. We will be in Alaska in mid July; my hubby & teen son are bringing 2 pairs of shorts just in case. I will bring a pair of capri's and wear them ONLY if it's sunny and in the high 70's.

Praying for sunny weather throughout! :)

Here in the Heartland, it gets real cold and real hot. As soon as the temperature is above 32, you'll see many in shorts - I usually wait until it gets up to 40. Most of us look forward to the shorts season, it means the end of the cold and ice. On our past cruises to Alaska, and again this year I will take at least 3 or 4 pairs of shorts. We usually find it warm enough on board to wear shorts during the day.

Just wondering what people from hot summer climates consider to be warm or hot enough in Alaska to bring out the shorts or capris? Did you change to summer clothes when it was only in the 70s? If so, was there no wind, so that it seemed hotter than that?

Don't know what you consider hot, summer climates. We get hot summers in spurts. 90's can be typical but not constant. Right now it's a beautiful morning, 58 after high 80's yesterday and returning again today. Heat is off in the house, all windows open and I am wearing a T and well, not even shorts :eek: at the computer before I toodle off to shower. So you have to figure out what temperature YOU wear shorts and go with that. Think about stationary and moving activities. If I am moving I generate heat, plus I have a backpack on always that retains my body heat and has shell jacket and pants ready for changes.

We whitewater kayaked in overcast, drizzly rain last weekend, didn't get above 65, water temperature was colder than that. Everyone else was wearing neoprene, wetsuits/shorts, long sleeved drytops, and paddling gloves. . . except me in a tank top, yoga pants and my PFD. Everyone kept offering me clothes like I was a dimwit that forgot. :( Meanwhile, I'm dragging my wrists in the water, so it really has to be you. Personally I'm thinking about the least number of long pants can I get away with.

I am currently in Kuwait. It is 108 at 7:30 in the evening. I live part of the year in the desert 100 miles West of Phoenix. Average summer temperature-about 104. I believe it was 105 yesterday in Arizona, so not much difference between the Arizona desert and the Middle East.

I am in Alaska at least twice per summer for business-generally the end of May and right around Labor Day. I NEVER put on shorts-too darn cold. I am a California native.

DH is from the Midwest originally (has lived in Arizona part time for about 10 years). He thinks any time it gets above 70 it is SUMMER-time for the tanks tops and shorts. I am bundled up-we make quite the pair.

For those from "warm" climates, you may want to take a pair of shorts. They don't weigh much and take up little room. But you probably will freeze your butt off!!!

Great feedback! Thanks! I'm thinking I'll bring 1-2 pairs of capris and some short sleeved shirts I could wear with capris or pants (or use as layers) if for some reason I get hot. But I'll concentrate most of the wardrobe on warmer clothes. Appreciate the help!

Don't know if you saw the "Shorts in Alaska" thread about convertible pants. There are convertible pants to convert to shorts and there are ones that convert to capris. We got 4 pairs each and it's like having 4 pairs of pants and 4 pairs of shorts/capris! I think these will allow us to pack lighter but still have options depending on the weather!

The only time I put on shorts in Alaska was to go running. Even on our hottest day - in the 70s, I was perfectly comfortable hiking in cargo pants. But, I do live in S. Florida, and wear pants all summer long during the work week, regardless of heat/humidity.

Here in the AZ desert we don't consider it HOT until the temps are over 105. Shorts don't come out until it gets close to 90. In the winter when it is in the 60's and 70's we are in jackets and shake our heads at the tourists who are lounging by the pools.:D I will bring a couple pair of capri's, but doubt they will get worn.

I do have a question - my DD is on a kayak excursion in Juneau and she is wondering what she should wear on that. She is planning on wearing a water proof jacket, but what about on the bottom? Jeans? She does not have a wet suit nor does she plan on buying one. Carnival's website says the tour provides a raincoat, but says nothing else about proper clothing.

If you're likely to get wet NEVEr wear jeans, they take far too long to dry out and will be very heavy and uncomfortable. Cargo type pants would be fine, they will keep her legs covered but will dry out quickly enough once she is back on dry land, so to speak.

I will be taking shorts 'just in case' but will have capri pants and a couple of pairs of long trousers.

Shorts weather is normally anything consistently over 60 degrees. We are sailing July 10th. In Scotland there are some guys who prefer to wear shorts year round, only getting long trousers out when it snows.

To each their own. You won't look out of place whatever you wear.

One of the families coming to our meet and greet is from Texas, they will be the ones wrapped in layers and wearing gloves - we will be the folks in the shorts with the pale blue legs.:o

I do have a question - my DD is on a kayak excursion in Juneau and she is wondering what she should wear on that. She is planning on wearing a water proof jacket, but what about on the bottom? Jeans? She does not have a wet suit nor does she plan on buying one. Carnival's website says the tour provides a raincoat, but says nothing else about proper clothing.

For your bottoms, when I paddle, I wear leggings/capris made from polypropylene or nylon/spandex. It keeps you warmer than cotton or cargo pants, doesn't soak up water, and is fast drying. Over them I wear board shorts to spare those around me.;) When you are finished, you could then, blot dry with a pack towel, drop the shorts and pull on regular slippery nylon athletic pants (or your waterproof pants if you have them) to finish out your day. The athletic pants would come in handy for quick trips to grab munchies on the ship, or on the deck glacier watching. Kinda like sweats, but more windproof.

Archived