What would P&O do IF.....?

bazzaw

In the next 12 months, P&O have 2 world cruises starting in Southampton and heading west through the Panama Canal to Australia and continuing westwards home through the Suez canal. The Suez is in a particularly fragile part of the world - and I wonder what P&O would do IF, at some part of either WC, the Suez was closed or the area became too potentially dangerous??

I am sure that none of us here would really have any idea - :o - but it is not an irrelevant question.

In a short time, we have to pay a serious amount of money in full for our WC - and I note that the travel insurance specifically exclude coverage for "any acts of war", terrorism, etc.

Hmmm! :eek:

Barry

I don't think The West would allow either of the canals to close or get in a situation where international shipping was in danger.

The British certainly didn't in Suez back in 1956.

On a similar note, P&O had to address a delicate problem around that era when they were confronted by male members [no pun intended] of the Suez Canal poplulation flashing at the womenfolk as they passed through the canal at that time.

The locals would raise their robes and shout obscenities at the female passengers.:mad:

From all accounts it was very embarrassing and kept most of the female passengers below decks as the P&O liners transited the canal.

It was ongoing, and in addressing it, P&O came up with one of the most clever pieces of psychology ever thought up.

As the first ship to test it passed through, the usual "flashing" began which was immediately countered by a very loud address over the ships PA system where a very mocking female voice said in Arabic: "Strange are the ways of Allah that he should allow his chosen people to be endowed with such a teeny weeny little organ."

Or so the story goes.:D

From all accounts the problem ceased from that point on. :p:p

Just a piece of P&O trivia I've heard from two separate sources over the years. One a P&O Chief Enigineer on Himalaya and the second an ex Royal Marine who was stationed in the Suez area at the time.

How true it is I don't know, but it sure makes an interesting yarn. :)

In the next 12 months, P&O have 2 world cruises starting in Southampton and heading west through the Panama Canal to Australia and continuing westwards home through the Suez canal. The Suez is in a particularly fragile part of the world - and I wonder what P&O would do IF, at some part of either WC, the Suez was closed or the area became too potentially dangerous??

I am sure that none of us here would really have any idea - :o - but it is not an irrelevant question.

In a short time, we have to pay a serious amount of money in full for our WC - and I note that the travel insurance specifically exclude coverage for "any acts of war", terrorism, etc.

Barry

Well this is the reason I haven't yet sailed through the Suez Canal, was on the Himalaya in 1969 when the canal was closed due to the Israeli war and we came the long way round via Cape Town, similarly after 11 Sept P&O sent the ship (Oriana I think) the "scenic route" via Cape Town instead of the canal and on our trip in 2004 on Adonia we also went from Australia via Cape Town to the UK, although she had come out through the Suez so I think that was more to do with the shorter distance than via Panama than the Iraq war. We have friends who were on Aurora in 2003 when she was doing her world and the Iraq war started just before they got to Suez and they petitioned the Captain asking him not to go through, but he did and they were fine.

Dennis

I think that you must have forgotten that the Suez canal WAS closed - for 8 years between 1967 and 1975.

Barry

Yes on the Oronsay back in 1967 the itinerary from the UK to NZ had to be amended to cruise via Africa due to the closing of the Suez Canal.

Jillybean:)

Should that happen Barry I would think South Africa, especially Capetown would be rubbing their hands with glee.

Instead of visiting Egypt, passengers would be riding the cable car up Table Mountain.

Capetown is a lovely port of call that offers many tours within a fairly short radius.

Barry

Well then, enjoy your cruise around Africa.

Dennis

I think that you must have forgotten that the Suez canal WAS closed - for 8 years between 1967 and 1975.

Barry

Nah, I hadn't forgotten Barry, I was referrring to what could happen NOW.

Maybe I didn't put it across well. :o:o:D

I don't think the major players would allow it these days.

Even though ship sizes are increasing, both canals are far too important to international trade these days and if push ever came to shove I think they would be kept open by some sort of international body.

Just my POV. ;)

Hi Dennis

I take your good point - however I am not so sure that I would put much faith in the western "powers" defending anything much at the moment. I think they all have a case of severe burnout - not unlike how the US felt after Vietnam. Plus, if something ever does "blow up" over there , it will be quite sudden and unexpected.

Anyway, I am certain that once we are on the Oriana in Brisbane - they will get us to the UK somehow!! Who knows which way though. In these sort of circumstances , it appears that travel insurance would not assist.

Barry

Anyway, I am certain that once we are on the Oriana in Brisbane - they will get us to the UK somehow!!

Maybe you should hope that you have to spend some extra time on board Oriana.:)

I could think of worse ways to spend some extra time at sea - its a beautiful vessel. :D:p

I agree with Kiwi Kruzer,Capetown is a beautiful City and there is a lot to do and see.I was there in January and a great way to sight see is to do the hop on,hop off bus that leaves from the V&A Waterfront.I paid 200 rand for a 2 day pass and found this a great way to get around.

Archived