Aussie $ - to become a "reserve" currency??

bazzaw

Interesting!

If such a thing happens, our $ will be worth considerably more than it has in the past - good for us cruisers, but a higher exchange rate across the board will surely impact negatively elsewhere . White is meaningless without black, there is no hot unless there is cold, and there is no good without bad!!

Barry

It would certainly be good news for cruisers and travel overseas in general, but as you say there is always another side to the coin.

Fewer tourists would come down this way, and our exports, in all fields would be more expensive , forcing our customers to seek better deals elsewhere.

I'm just hoping that the $$ stays up as I now have 2 cruises to pay off in $US !! Just booked a 35 nighter for 2012 - yippee !!

I'm with you, I have two coming up and thinking of a 30 nighter in 2012!

Congratulations - a 35 nighter, who with, where to? Love the loooong cruises!

• 1 month later...
I'm with you' date=' I have two coming up and thinking of a 30 nighter in 2012!

Congratulations - a 35 nighter, who with, where to? Love the loooong cruises![/quote']

oops sorry Billy and Charlies Mum - I didn't get back to the thread !! On the Diamond Princess, April 2012, Singapore to Vancouver

oops sorry Billy and Charlies Mum - I didn't get back to the thread !! On the Diamond Princess, April 2012, Singapore to Vancouver

Sounds like the cruise we will be doing in May 2011 Diamond Princess - Beijing to Vancouver. Would have loved to do the Singapore to Beijing leg but can't get that much time off work. :mad:

I've got two cruises in USD also...go the Aussie:D

DH retiring next year and we have plans to spend the kids inheritance too..around the world so all good news for us.

There may be a downturn as a result of the stronger Aussie dollar but I am sick and tired of the volatility of our currency when there is no economic reason for it. There will always be a price point where people will still buy, travel etc.

Sue...are you there, have been trying to ring you ..we are in Canberra....I must have the wrong number... also have not got your email with me....OOH!!!

S&D

you can email..I will be able to retrieve my messages from here...LOL...

xx:):)

Okay, sounds good.

But if this happens, do you know if the NZ currency is due to do the same thing?

I am booked on a NZ trip in January (not a cruise) and I have to pay it off in a couple of months. At the moment the aussie dollar is only worth NZ$1.23, which is not too bad,not as good as it was, but not too bad.

I wouldn't like to see them both suddenly the same though, it would cost me heaps.

Sherri

I am no expert on International currencies - but I don't think you have anything to worry about. The Aussie dollar is very volatile against the US dollar for reasons that don't apply to the exchange rate between AUD and NZD. Personally, I believe that the AUD/NZD rate is determined more by the fundamentals of their respective economies and hence , as fundamentals either don't change much or change slowly over time, you don't/won't see the kind of ups and downs that you see in the AUD/USD rate (which has more to do with speculation, use of USD as a position of "safe haven", etc)

Barry

Was surprised today to discover Commonwealth Bank Exchange Rates for NZ$ to Aus$ -

1.1826 sell

1.3461 buy

Why the big difference?

Whilst US buy/sell rate is closer -

.8745 buy

.9449 sell

The US dollar is the most commonly traded currency so there is always less difference between the sell and buy-back rates.

Archived