Akaroa

mothaselin

Akaroa is gorgeous little place (in the sunshine) and actually I'm a little sad to think of a cruise ship decending here with all it's passengers.

I've not been on the Transalpine but have heard it's very scenic and would like to go myself. I believe there is only 1 train per day leaving around 8am - it's around 1hr drive to Christchurch from memory, returning almost immediately from Greymouth on the train gets you back in at Christchurch around 6pm. Greymouth itself has nothing much to offer - a small brewery is quite good if it's still there.

There are a couple of nice wineries around Akaroa and might be another option. New Zealand is beautiful and my personal opinion is it's better to see the scenery somehow than spend the day in Christchurch.

It's a very nice village by a small harbour. As mentioned above, harbour tours or diving with dolphins are one key activity, there are also farm tours, or trips that you can also do from Christchurch are available, as it's quite near.

A nice place if you just want to walk around with a harbour tour, or if you have other things on your mind, can do those instead.

Archived