Galviston Nightmare

haha, my friend paid more then someone crusing on Carnival. Besides a hotel for the night my friend told me they didn't except any compensation. Sounds like my friends story communication could have been a little better.

ooppss .. I meant 1/2 AGAIN as much.. I know Disney is HIGH priced .. everything Disney is .. :p;)

At least they took care of her!

The sad thing to me is GREAT customer service can be SO easy .. at least for me .. all they had to do was give us a time to be there that would have alleviated the long wait .. we would have been VERY happy campers!

Fog is most definitely beyond Carnivals and the ports control.

As for the communication, I understand the frustration because I've been in a similar situation. However, I think sometimes you have to realize that Carnival doesn't have an un-limited amount of employees on board the ship. In fact, when you board the vast majority of the employees have other assignments and places to be in order to keep the cleaning schedule, activities, food preparation and everything else in order for the remainder of the trip. So while it'd be nice to have an employee out there every 5 feet to address the 2600 guests on board the ship, it's simply impossible because those employees have other jobs to do so the rest of your cruise is enjoyable.

From my experience, there were a few employees scattered around the ship trying to help everyone out, but when you have a normal ratio of 1 employee to every 2-3 guests you can't expect there to be enough to hit every single guest on the way and answer the 20 questions each one has. You have to be reasonable and sometimes, yes, you have to fend for yourself and look at the deck plans and realize the buffet is up on the Lido deck and that's probably you're best bet for food. Plus, theres 24 hour food spots (pizza, grill, room service) if you miss out on the buffet.

These things get frustrating, I just wish more people were more understanding and realistic that these situations are MUCH harder on the companies they affect than the guests because everything is done on a schedule.

Fog is most definitely beyond Carnivals and the ports control.

As for the communication, I understand the frustration because I've been in a similar situation. However, I think sometimes you have to realize that Carnival doesn't have an un-limited amount of employees on board the ship. In fact, when you board the vast majority of the employees have other assignments and places to be in order to keep the cleaning schedule, activities, food preparation and everything else in order for the remainder of the trip. So while it'd be nice to have an employee out there every 5 feet to address the 2600 guests on board the ship, it's simply impossible because those employees have other jobs to do so the rest of your cruise is enjoyable.

From my experience, there were a few employees scattered around the ship trying to help everyone out, but when you have a normal ratio of 1 employee to every 2-3 guests you can't expect there to be enough to hit every single guest on the way and answer the 20 questions each one has. You have to be reasonable and sometimes, yes, you have to fend for yourself and look at the deck plans and realize the buffet is up on the Lido deck and that's probably you're best bet for food. Plus, theres 24 hour food spots (pizza, grill, room service) if you miss out on the buffet.

These things get frustrating, I just wish more people were more understanding and realistic that these situations are MUCH harder on the companies they affect than the guests because everything is done on a schedule.

I am well aware of all the factors involved .. Disseminating CONSISTENT, honest information would not have been difficult .. throughout the evening we had one piece of paper distributed that informed us of the itin changes .. that was it..

As to what to do when getting on the ship .. there are MANY spots where that info could be handed out .. at check in .. When your picture is taken boarding (they didn't miss that one) .. as you walk onto the ship proper .. those are places EVERYONE had to pass .. (or at least the vast majority) .. ONE person at any one of those spots could have handled it.

I don't think Carnival had a PLAN .. it was haphazard at best .. Hopefully they learned from it and will make changes ..

Actually, I think I may be more to blame than Carnival. During the first week on April, I was on a cruise that was returning to Galveston. Well....the night before our return I wished and wished and wished that I didn't have to get off of the ship. I woke up early the next morning and Voila! FOG!

We were stuck on the boat for an extra five hours, while our ride waited for us at the dock. Lots of people were upset and worried about missing flights.

Not me. I got more time onboard. I would apologize for the delay, but I'm really not sorry....

Bravo! That was the funniest response... Oh, to have wishes come true. Try the lotto now! ;):p

I am not a Carnival cheerleader, nor do I feel that Carnival's communications are the best, but OP I think you are being ridiculous. What did you want Carnival to do? Give you a refund on your cruise? I bet that would make you feel happy and not post all over the world. Well, sorry, but it's not going to happen.

Reading your post doesn't make me want to not sail Carnival. Granted, I do think as others posted, Carnival didn't do a good job with communicating and I have to say I would be PO'd, but to threaten as you did is just showing your mentality.

We need Dell, IBM, Tosheba, Sony, et al, to make a laptop or desk top with a slot built into it.

Microsoft and Apple could write some software...

Whenever we get one of these poor unfortunate souls that is not compensated for an act of nature, we could all drop a penny in the slot, Microsoft and Apply could tally the $$$ and we could ease the pain of these poor suffering folks!

What a nightmare! Can we get a federal injunctionn against nature to prevent spoiling any more of their vacations?

I'm wondering why the OP felt they had to stand around and wait. If boarding was delayed that long, they would have known about it in time to go and do something interesting to pass the time.

I agree Carnival should not have to compensate people for leaving late due to weather. Airlines don'e do it either.

Actually, I think I may be more to blame than Carnival. During the first week on April, I was on a cruise that was returning to Galveston. Well....the night before our return I wished and wished and wished that I didn't have to get off of the ship. I woke up early the next morning and Voila! FOG!

We were stuck on the boat for an extra five hours, while our ride waited for us at the dock. Lots of people were upset and worried about missing flights.

Not me. I got more time onboard. I would apologize for the delay, but I'm really not sorry....

OMG!!! The Truth comes out!!!

< smd1234--> you get my vote for Post of the Week!!>

BTW- you owe me a monitor, I just spit my icedtea all over mine!!!

I do believe that fog and weather is beyond anyone's control and if the harbormaster doesn't let the ship in it is for damn good reasons.

If you recall, last year there was a case where the Conquest encountered fog again and didn't dock for many, many hours. The fog never lifted and by the the next morning the fog was still there and so was the Conquest!!!!! It finally left Galveston by noon and headed full steam ahead to MoBay passing Grand Cayman completely...

Ya, sometimes customer service sucks, but it is a huge corporation and sometimes change is slow in the large companies...

FOG... Galveston... Been there, done that.:rolleyes: Last January, we arrived early, were informed by the wonderful people at EZ Cruise parking that the ship would be late. They took us & our luggage to the terminal. We were immediately told it would be a minimum of 4 hours. Dropped off our luggage, walked around looking at all of the damage from Ike. Went back & found a spot overlooking the water & visited with other waiting families. We decided to head to the terminal & wait in line, would rather be at the front than the back. We all sat outside the terminal in line. We were given 2 updates by Carnival, including one stating we would get $15 obc for missing lunch. We were allowed to go inside the terminal around 2:00. We were given boxed lunches around 4:00 & on board by 6:00. We felt Carnival did everything they could since fog is out of their control...

Cruised again the same week this year, was up at 5am looking out to see for the ship :D Luckily it was on time & we were on board by noon.

Have our 4th cruise out of Galveston in October. Do wish Carnival would switch up the ports a little but that won't stop me from cruising out of Galveston anytime soon.

If you recall, last year there was a case where the Conquest encountered fog again and didn't dock for many, many hours. The fog never lifted and by the the next morning the fog was still there and so was the Conquest!!!!! It finally left Galveston by noon and headed full steam ahead to MoBay passing Grand Cayman completely...

It happened to the Ecstasy in Jan 2008 too..

We were fogged out and we finally got off the ship and thru customs around 6ish. (yep, first ones on, last ones off that me)

I was in HogHeaven being fogged out. then the Ecstasy could not leave till the next morning. (I think they missed Progreso)

And , I have been one of the ones sitting in the terminal waiting (first section, cuz Im a 'get there early and wait' kinda person)--April 2009- Conquest.....it IS fun to see the 'mad swarm' to the sammich cart when its wheeled out

Point being, yup Fog happens in Galveston, ya deal.

(or you dont)

:)

I wonder if the OP was even at the correct port? Not exactly sure where GalvIston is located---oh wait--Galveston, I get it. Just a low brow soon to be cruiser here on the wal mart of the seas, where did my ability to spell come from? :rolleyes:

AWW, you beat me too it. :D

Galveston does have a web cam, I always check it before I leave to board the ship. If I can't see the ship I either wait till I can. Or I call Carnival. It is no different that checking with your airline before you check out of your hotel. Has saved me lots of wasted waiting time. But I guess I am used to bad weather her in Texas

Galveston does have a web cam, I always check it before I leave to board the ship. If I can't see the ship I either wait till I can. Or I call Carnival. It is no different that checking with your airline before you check out of your hotel. Has saved me lots of wasted waiting time. But I guess I am used to bad weather her in Texas

Howdy neighbor. ;) We do the same thing! We figure we're a near-perfect distance for when we see the ship on the webcam, by the time we get to Galveston they'll have started debarkation. I don't leave the house without checking the webcam!

We were on the other side of the coin, as we were on the Conquest an extra 8 or so hours, waiting for the fog to lift. It was an experience, and if i never hear a fog horn again, it will be too soon.;) (once a minute for 8 hours straight)In MY opinion, the crew did an awesome job, considering they kept us fed & entertained And their day was far from over when we actually got off the ship. Yes, customs took WAY too long. The crew at the terminal had an extra long day, but still were professional. I e-mailed Carnival about the treatment we recieved,not to gain anything, but to give them a pat on the back. Yes, I will sail Carnival again, knowing we cannot control the weather.

Howdy neighbor. ;) We do the same thing! We figure we're a near-perfect distance for when we see the ship on the webcam, by the time we get to Galveston they'll have started debarkation. I don't leave the house without checking the webcam!

I'm another one who times my departure according to the webcam!:)

We didn't even need the webcam ... couldn't even see the parking lot from our 2nd floor balcony .. laugh ..

The OP only complained of the fog - to me the REAL problem was the delay caused by Customs..

The fog is understandable .. there are going to be delays .. it was being told to arrive by 4pm ... (which we did .. enjoying Galveston ..exploring) .. then waiting another 8 hours that really upset folks..

Maybe the OP hasn't traveled much .. "Acts of God" and "man made" problems are two different things in my book .. and having a background in customer service for both travel agencies and airlines I know Carnival can do better ..

I fly a lot for work. I had to wait 5 hours in Seatac-Seattle to get my flight and then the next day my flight out of Chicago was 4 hours delayed by weather. It's horrid but it's part of travel. I understand the Op's frustration but she/he might not have much recourse. I have found that CCL is a bit lacking in customer service, but they do give the best cruise buy in the industry.

I find it hard to feel sorry for those arriving at 9 and 10 am. I believe your fun pass says that arrival time for boarding should be around 1-130 pm. I cant remember exactly. I understand about being excited about your vacation. But what is with this facination about being the "First" on board.

I have cruised out of galveston four times. Once we had to wait for the coast guard to conduct an unannounced inspection. It was about 2pm when they started allowing boarding. That is a very long time to have to wait, but I fail to see how Carnival is responsible for customs being overwhelmed. Customs has the manifest before the ship ever sets sail. Maybe Carnival should have made the RCL ships passengers wait till all the CCL passengers had cleared customs, since clearly Carnival is in charge of everything.

I don't blame Carnival - I said Carnival could have done a MUCH better job of handling the situation..

Part of being in the customer service / hospitality industry is being able to take a HORRIBLE situation and minimize the impact to the customer .. no matter WHOs fault.

I agree about getting there VERY early .. especially when it was SO foggy that day .. we have fog here in south central texas periodically - but that stuff at the coast was EXTREMELY thick - and didn't even start clearing to close to noon ..

I guess the moral of this story is this: come prepared and be aware that you may (or may not) be in for a very long wait. But really, this applies to any and all travel whether it's via road trip, airplane, or cruise ship. I never travel without:

1. A book to read

2. Portable movies for the kids (iPhones/iPods are great for this)

3. Lots of snacks (granola bars are the best)

4. Something to drink

Further, load your carry-on with anything that you MIGHT need that first day, while waiting or while lounging on the ship.

And finally, be prepared to be kept in the dark. Sure, it shouldn't happen, it's preventable, and travel providers could do a much better job of disseminating information, but the fact of the matter is they don't. Most travel providers are large corporations, and anyone that has ever worked in a large corporation knows that getting information out to everyone is a very difficult task. (I joke that I'm a mushroom - kept in the dark and fed BS.)

Accept the things that you cannot change. And you cannot change the lack of communication from travel providers (or at least not immediately). So, even if you are stuck sitting on a concrete floor (which I acknowledge totally sucks), try to take a deep breath and roll with it. You will eventually get on the ship. Being angry about it before or after doesn't do anyone any good. And posting like a mad man on Cruise Critic really won't help.

. Customs has the manifest before the ship ever sets sail. Maybe Carnival should have made the RCL ships passengers wait till all the CCL passengers had cleared customs, since clearly Carnival is in charge of everything.

You know they are in 2 seperate terminals and 2 seperate Customs areas...not the RCi and CCL in the same place...

(one has nothing to do with the other....the RCI people were delayed too...)

Archived