I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Has everyone taken photography classes or something, or do you just naturally learn/know all of the photography lingo? LOL I would love to take a photo class and learn everything I can about cameras, taking pics, etc.

Is this something you did or did you figure it out all on your own?

A combination of the two. I got my first b/w Kodak Brownie when I was 7 (63 now) so I've been at it for a long time.

I took an on-line photography course before we went to Alaska in 2008 so I could get better use out of my camera. Although, I'll admit I have it set on AUTO a good share of the time.

One nice thing about digital is that you can go out and shoot lots of pics and it doesn't cost you anything so practice is much easier.

I also look at photo sites like Flickr to see how other photographers set up their shots. Gives me ideas of what too look for when I'm out with my camera.

Has everyone taken photography classes or something, or do you just naturally learn/know all of the photography lingo? LOL I would love to take a photo class and learn everything I can about cameras, taking pics, etc.

Is this something you did or did you figure it out all on your own?

Been shooting and reading since i was 10 years old. Never took a class, but I've taught a few! :D

Dave

More recent fun with my 300mm F4 APO lens. Rainy day Thursday, came home from work, the rain had stopped, and the sun was peeking back out just before it set. The raindrops on my hibiscus tree in my backyard looked like little lights sparkling, so I thought I'd have some fun with the wet flowers:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Tennis Ball finial - Paris, Las Vegas a couple of days ago.

p422593255-5.jpg

Today:

Hot sauce for sale! - Alien Fresh Jerky - Baker, CA

p377051015-5.jpg

Greeter - Alien Fresh Jerky - Baker, CA

p446744732-5.jpg

Nice weekend trip.

Happy Birthday America!

Dave

I just wanted to pop in here and thank you for the advice you gave me several months ago! I bought a Sony H55 and I was having some trouble with the white balance. I followed your instructions and I am getting good results! I am liking the camera more and more and have taken some decent photos. Thanks and thanks for letting me pop in on this post!! Marian

I just wanted to pop in here and thank you for the advice you gave me several months ago! I bought a Sony H55 and I was having some trouble with the white balance. I followed your instructions and I am getting good results! I am liking the camera more and more and have taken some decent photos. Thanks and thanks for letting me pop in on this post!! Marian

Marian,

Glad I could help!

Now, go out tomorrow, have some fun taking some photos and post one or two here.

Dave

Ginny...my cat (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25038139&postcount=38) is also named Mickey. And of similar inspiration...my cat's full name is "Mickey Meow". I am a Disney regular through-and-through, since 1971!

We had Mickey first. Then, when i wanted the kitten, my DH said he reserved the right to name him. Hence, the "Mouse".:rolleyes::D he grew up in CA a stone's throw from Disney Land.

It was actually yesterday. We had a 4th of July party and I made some "Patriotic Jello-O Shots" :cool:

July_4th_030.jpg

Love the red, white and blue "patriotic" Jello shots. Bet it was lots of fun celebrating the 4th with those!

Got up early today and joined five hundred or so new friends for an early morning false alarm...

p3544587-5.jpg

The joys of travel!

Dave

Dave, did you use a 12-24 (or some such thing) or is this a pano?

Dave, did you use a 12-24 (or some such thing) or is this a pano?

It's the Sweep Panorama mode on my HX5V. Truly impressive feature...hold down the shutter and sweep across the scene.

Dave

I've been a long time lurker on the photo boards but figured it was finally time to jump in. I spent a lot of time in my earlier years on vacations with my trusty Pentax K-1000, learning all about composition, F-stops, shutter speeds, lighting, etc. Then there were the years shooting the now 22-year-old child. We started the move to digital with an old Kodak, then a few years ago chose the Olympus S-550 for the zoom and comfortable feel.

However, I never really made the mental switch to digital and relied on the auto function. I picked up a book last year and discovered there were tons of other functions to learn but never really took the time. Now I find myself with time on my hands - my job was just eliminated due to a reorganization (not unexpected; it was tied to my boss who took a new job). It's actually not all that bad - nice good-bye package, kid is through college with a job offer next month, and the house is essentially paid for, and I'm even eligible for early retirement, such as it is.

So I figured it was time to return to my old love of photography and see what I can learn. (Doesn't look like we'll be going on another cruise in the foreseeable future). I'm planning on getting the Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 software instead of relying on the free software that came with printers and scanners and computers. I'm going to take the time to study the book, the camera, and the excellent lessons and advice on this board.

In the meantime, I did grab the camera last weekend just to play around a little. We went to a balloon festival, which was somewhat disappointing since it was too breezy to ascend, and they were mainly advertising balloons. And the local parade - we've always had Civil War reenactors from the North, but for the first time we had the Confederacy too - they had a little battle right in front of us. I liked the juxtaposition of the soldier and the kids - sort of like the time travel romance novels I like!

Anyway, I will surely be back on various boards from time-to-time to get advice and critiques. Wish me luck!

-Marilyn

33zfded.jpg

218rgp.jpg

sbrlhu.jpg

Edited by Tabbymom

I've been a long time lurker on the photo boards but figured it was finally time to jump in. I spent a lot of time in my earlier years on vacations with my trusty Pentax K-1000, learning all about composition, F-stops, shutter speeds, lighting, etc. Then there were the years shooting the now 22-year-old child. We started the move to digital with an old Kodak, then a few years ago chose the Olympus S-550 for the zoom and comfortable feel.

However, I never really made the mental switch to digital and relied on the auto function. I picked up a book last year and discovered there were tons of other functions to learn but never really took the time. Now I find myself with time on my hands - my job was just eliminated due to a reorganization (not unexpected; it was tied to my boss who took a new job). It's actually not all that bad - nice good-bye package, kid is through college with a job offer next month, and the house is essentially paid for, and I'm even eligible for early retirement, such as it is.

So I figured it was time to return to my old love of photography and see what I can learn. (Doesn't look like we'll be going on another cruise in the foreseeable future). I'm planning on getting the Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 software instead of relying on the free software that came with printers and scanners and computers. I'm going to take the time to study the book, the camera, and the excellent lessons and advice on this board.

In the meantime, I did grab the camera last weekend just to play around a little. We went to a balloon festival, which was somewhat disappointing since it was too breezy to ascend, and they were mainly advertising balloons. And the local parade - we've always had Civil War reenactors from the North, but for the first time we had the Confederacy too - they had a little battle right in front of us. I liked the juxtaposition of the soldier and the kids - sort of like the time travel romance novels I like!

Anyway, I will surely be back on various boards from time-to-time to get advice and critiques. Wish me luck!

-Marilyn

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your coming out of the lurker closet and your departure from "auto-everything"!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Mama set up shop in a garden tool caddy attached to the side of the house next door. There were 4 eggs but only 3 seem to have hatched. :(

What wonderful pictures! Many of the pictures on this thread have put me to shame, but I am intrigued mostly by yours. Could you tell me what kind of settings you used?

What wonderful pictures! Many of the pictures on this thread have put me to shame, but I am intrigued mostly by yours. Could you tell me what kind of settings you used?

Thank you Ginny!

I use a Canon Rebel and had a 55-250mm lens on (so I wouldn't freak out mama bird more than necessary).

Both photos were taken in TV (shutter priority) mode at 1/40 and ISO 800, which gave f6.3 for the first one and f5.6 for the second.

I upped the contrast levels slightly and used the unsharp mask tool (photoshop elements).

There are so many beautiful shots on this thread, too many to name, but I'll single out the rows of hot sauces. So vibrant and interesting.