I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Thank you. Indeed, most manufacturers make a 300mm F4 lens - Nikon included. I do not know if theirs is one of their 'high end' builds or more consumer grade...but they do make one - it goes around $1,200 new. I'm familiar with the Canon 'L' version and the Minolta APO G version I have...both of these are 'pro' build lenses - extremely heavy, very solid all-metal build, lots of manual controls, big optics, etc. The price range for the Nikon is about the same as the Canon & Minolta versions though.

Your D90 can accept just about any of the Nikon AF lenses - it's just up to what lenses you need, want, and are willing to buy! I also have a big 200-500mm zoom lens which is nice for flexibility, but as is the case with many 'prime' lenses, the 300mm F4 is a bit sharper, brighter, and focuses a bit faster than the zoom. If you want to get into birding and wildlife, it's a good lens range - but many folks cut their teeth on this type of shooting with something a wee bit cheaper and with more flexibility, like a 70-400 zoom or something similar. But if you know you want to shoot this type of subject, or already have the zoom lenses and want to start building into a collection of prime lenses, the 300mm F4 is a great start. It is reasonably fast aperture for lower light work, and a good enough size for handholding, typically better than equivalent range zooms, yet not as stratospherically expensive as the 300mm F2.8 lenses (the Nikon F4 version is around $1200...to go to the F2.8 version you step up to $4400!).

Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate the detail you provided. I moved up from a Nikon D60 to a Nikon D90 and it has paid off. I'm getting better pictures without photo ediiting. I will keep the lens info you provided in mind. Thanks again.:)

Saturday:

Happy little flowers growing in a vacant lot.

p743055826-4.jpg

This morning:

A $5000 DSLR would have done a better job, but I'm still proud of the

effort that my little Sony HX5V made!

p826356264-4.jpg

Waiting for a 6:30 AM connection

p1065615403-4.jpg

Dave