Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

I think if enough people go to the purser's desk and DEMAND to have the charge removed with a measured and lucid explanation of why then SS might get the message. Outrageous is the only word I can think of to describe this.

This is really a bone headed move by management. Why didn’t they just change the name of La Terrazza to Maruzza and then have a two-dollar reservation charge which passengers would be informed would go to the Maruzza Foundation as well as other charities fighting cancer. Until Silversea management rescinds this policy I would advise everyone to just say no.

Just got our docs for our upcoming cruise. There is a notification that we will automatically be charged a few dollars for a charity that Silversea is involved with. Though, I'm all for donating to charity, I thought it was odd that we were told our contribution is automatically added to our shipboard account and we can remove the charge by visiting Reception during our voyage. Is this something new? I have not encountered it on any other cruiseline that we've sailed on. The name of the charity is Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation.

I have sent this link to Silversea;let's see what they say!:eek:

I have sent this link to Silversea;let's see what they say!:eek:

Good idea...maybe the dissatisfaction with this new charity policy, voiced by most of the posters on this thread, will encourage Silversea to reverse their thinking.

This is unbelievably presumptuous, and reminds us of the donation can at the grocery store that the checker points to. You feel embarrassed ticked off and defensive. Does this sound like what a SS passenger wants to feel. CRAZY!We can't believe this .

Simple put...find another cruise line or just cruise Safeway asles. :DShame on Silversea.

Good idea...maybe the dissatisfaction with this new charity policy, voiced by most of the posters on this thread, will encourage Silversea to reverse their thinking.

Mea Culpa Cruzemaven; I just got an answer from Barbi @ Silversea and you are right ! she confirmed that it just started and they charge $1.00 per day per passenger. I relayed the message that past and present passengers are a charitable lot but do not like to be told who to contribute to ....:eek:

Here's another tack. I don't know how many of you donate to the crew welfare fund but I do on every cruise. If everyone sends a note with their next donation that the amount SS is charging for this charity is being deducted from their donation then SS might get pressure from its staff as well as resistance from the passengers. I know it's not fair to take it out on the staff but I think this has to be nipped in the bud. What's next, a five dollar per cruise charge for the owner's wife's wardrobe so she can look good when she attends all those charity balls which we are subsidizing?

I just called Silversea and spoke with Alice Smorgala since neither Frank Sansone nor Joe Prota were "available" to take my call to express my great disappointment and dissatisfaction with this new policy. She said that she would pass my comments along to the marketing department.

I encourage all of you to call Silversea, tell them how many days you already have and how many days of reservations you are holding and express your opinion.

I would hate to see this issue fester for long and become a source of extended conversations on shipboard when we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves and not compalaining about things.

It's really happening!! It's hidden near the bottom of one little paper item in with all of the boarding items, tips, etc. Their wording on this small form is "For your convenience, this contribution will be automatcially added to your shipboard account statement." Note, it's for our "CONVENIENCE"!!!

I don't think so. Not a good way to do business, even for a "good cause".

The official spin I got back yesterday from Silversea is: "This is an optional donation and you may opt out by contacting our Reception Desk at any time prior to the end of your cruise. All guests receive a brief explanation about the program with their cruise documents." They are doing this thinking their idea is so smart and smooth.

I noted in my comments direct to Silversea: "It's the principle of it that will really drive people, GOOD CUSTOMERS, raving mad. Maybe they don't understand these things of 'BAD PR' in Monaco where the big bosses are based. Somebody should explain it to them. It like somebody from BP told them and said 'WOW, here's a great, new, innovative idea!' Wrong."

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I would like to address some concerns that readers of this board have raised regarding the roll-out of the Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation onboard our fleet. If you're not aware, the Maruzza Foundation is a non-profit organization in memory of Maruzza, the beloved sister of Silversea's Deputy Chairman, Manfredi Lefebvre D'Ovidio. The Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation is committed to improving quality of life for children and adults with incurable illness by increasing access to comprehensive palliative and hospice care.

Recently, we initiated a program that enables guests to conveniently donate to the foundation by adding an automatic $1 per person, per day charge to their onboard account.

This is a fully optional donation and guests may opt out by contacting the Reception Desk onboard the ship at any time prior to the end of their cruise.

We are getting the word out about this new program to all guests through a number of ways. For one, guests will receive an insert with their final cruise documents briefly explaining the program. Also, on day 3 of their voyage, guests will receive (in their suites) a brochure detailing the work of the foundation as well as an "awareness bracelet" to show their support. Again, guests may opt out at anytime while onboard as well as contribute additional funds if they wish.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter.

Thank you.

Stephen Tucker

VP Field Sales

Silversea Cruises Ltd.

Stephen, thanks for taking the time to explain this.

With all due respect, I truly believe that the better way to do this is to let the guest know that you have a program that is being set up so that guests can contribute to it if they would like and the way the would do so is to turn in a card that they would receive in their suite to the reception desk. I think that is a far better way to do this then to automatically sign the guest up and to say if you want to opt out you can stop by the reception desk.

In my humble opinion you are trying to do something that is nice but are doing it the wrong way.

I am all for giving to charities and many of us do quite a bit for our favorite charities. But I do think the right approach it to leave it to the guest to sign up for the charity with some type of card as I mentioned. It is true you may end up with less guests giving money than the way you plan to do it, but I think this is the right way to do it.

I truly believe what I am saying is very consistent to most of the posts on this thread.

Keith

With all due respect, I truly believe that the better way to do this is to let the guest know that you have a program that is being set up so that guests can contribute to it if they would like and the way the would do so is to turn in a card that they would receive in their suite to the reception desk. I think that is a far better way to do this then to automatically sign the guest up and to say if you want to opt out you can stop by the reception desk.

In my humble opinion you are trying to do something that is nice but are doing it the wrong way.

I am all for giving to charities and many of us do quite a bit for our favorite charities. But I do think the right approach it to leave it to the guest to sign up for the charity with some type of card as I mentioned. It is true you may end up with less guests giving money than the way you plan to do it, but I think this is the right way to do it.

I truly believe what I am saying is very consistent to most of the posts on this thread.

Keith

Keith - You said it much better than I could (or would since I find this an outrageous abuse of access to my credit card).

Silversea - please listen to what we are saying and adopt a more passive approach to this charity. I do not want to have to opt out of contributing to this charity. I would feel much much better about it if it were my choice to proactively donate!

Once again, Mr. Tucker, please listen!!!

Keith

Very well put Keith, and I also agree 100%.

There is no quicker way to upset a customer than by adding a "voluntary" charge to their bill.

From what I can see of the Maruzza Foundation from their website this is basically an italian palliative care charity. When I want to donate to a charity it is of my choosing, and as for a palliative care charity I would choose a local one my husband has an association with. This maybe quite parochial of me, but it is still my money we are donating not silverseas.

Ann

Mr. Tucker - You are an experienced and smart executive in the luxury cruise line business. You could not possibly have missed the point of these three pages of posts by such a huge measure. Thus, we will charitably (pun intended) assume that you are simply sticking with the company line on this issue.

The point of these many, many negative posts regarding this new policy is not that the organization in question is an unworthy object of charitable giving.

Nor is it the point that we who book passage on luxury ships will be remarkably impacted by the imposition of an involuntary charge of $1 per day.

The point of our objections is that we all make our own choices with regard to the objects of our charitable contributions. Whether it is Walk for the Cure, Make a Wish Foundation, or the local humane society, we should be allowed to determine the organizations to which we wish to donate, rather than being put in the extremely awkward position of having to go to reception to "opt out" of an imposed "optional donation".

It is preposterous to suggest that this policy provides a "convenient" way to donate. The convenience is solely for the benefit of Silversea and the foundation and not remotely so for the passengers.

I would agree emphatically with Keith that an active publicity campaign about the foundation and the opportunity to donate to it on board would be perfectly appropriate, as opposed to this amazingly wrong-headed policy of extracting the donations from passengers.

Cheers, Fred

This is a growing trend with hotels, resorts and I guess, now cruise lines as well. I recently read an article in Travel and Leisure discussing this. Thus far you can always request that it be removed. They also mentioned that many hotels (including some of the "fine hotels") are adding fees for such things as using the coffee maker in the room, for having a personal safe in the room, early check in and even housekeeping!! Up to $5 per person per day!:eek:

Their suggestion is to ask at the time of booking if any "mandatory" fees will be added to your bill. Other than the Charity issue, you can ask to have these additional fees removed, but they may not comply.:mad:

Very well put Keith, and I also agree 100%.

There is no quicker way to upset a customer than by adding a "voluntary" charge to their bill.

From what I can see of the Maruzza Foundation from their website this is basically an italian palliative care charity. When I want to donate to a charity it is of my choosing, and as for a palliative care charity I would choose a local one my husband has an association with. This maybe quite parochial of me, but it is still my money we are donating not silverseas.

Ann

Agree. My parents both died in a Las Vegas NV hospice and I donate there annually. US charities are also tax deductible.

The method described by Silversea and Steve Tucker to get donations to this charity seems heavy handed and inappropriate to me. I am sure they are counting on everyone to think it is just a small amount and I don't want to appear petty and it will be embarrassing for us to go get it taken off. I guarantee that it will end up embarrassing for the reception desk staff, too. Their will be LOTS of complaints.

Steve - can't you get them to rethink this, as so many of us have suggested?

Mr. Tucker, what about this don't you understand? I insist upon determining where and when I make a charitable contribution. I don't want Silversea to make that decision for me with the qualification that if I so decide I can walk down to Reception and demand that that decision be withdrawn. This policy is absolutely and positively NUTS. It isn't a matter of the amount of money. It isn't a matter of the worthiness of the charity a relative or the Silversea owners has chosen. I, and I alone, reserve the right to determine the direction of my charitable contributions. Silversea may not do it for me. Silversea may not demand that I go to the trouble of requesting that their decision concerning the amount and direction of a charitable contribution from me they have dictated be recinded. This is simply NUTS!

Archived