Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

I appreciate that Mr. Tucker commented on this issue and explained the cruise line's position as well as it could be explained, however there really is no way of getting around the fact that passengers are being charged to support the favorite charity of the owners of the cruise line. That attentive passengers can un-do the charge does not change the fact that a charge has been added to a bill for a service that was not rendered and an expense that was not requested.

A simpler solution is to just increase fares by $1 per day and then take that money and give it to the charity. The problem is not the money.

Companies make donations to charities all the time; if Silversea as a company wants to support this charity, it can easily do so by donating funds from charges it collects. A number of companies do this--"$x of your purchase is being donated to y charity." It can also do what other cruise lines do, which is hold events to raise funds for the charity (I have been on lines that have held walks to raise money for breast cancer research). I suspect with a little effort and thought Silversea could raise more money for the charity through truly voluntary contributions and up-front charges than through this hidden-charge method.

Well, that's my take on things. My initial impulse is to make sure that the charge is removed from my account.

This is a big, big mistake by Silversea.

Like many I have no objection to making charitable donations and we do it often. But being forced to do it as a charge on my shipboard account which I probably would not have even noticed had it not been for this CC thread is just plainly wrong.

At least the management of Publix has the good manners to ask me if I wish to donate.

Silversea (and the charity) would be much better if they simply had a donation bin at the embarkation area where passengers could deposit all their spare change in whatever currency, from trips ashore. I'm sure that would net far more than $1 per day.

IMHO

Mr. Tucker, let me come at this from one other perspective. My charitable contributions are none of Silversea's business. They are none of your business. They are none of my neighbor's business. They are none of my relative's business. If they are tax deductible they are the government's business. But that's it. So Silversea is totally out of line intruding on my privacy on this matter. Silversea has no right to know if or if I do not wish to donate to an Italian charity. It is not a matter of the amount of money involved. It is the principle! Drop this stupid though no doubt well intended policy and practice!

Just another strong second to all of the posters, most recently those of Island Cruiser and my friend Emtbsam. I am a long-time Silverea cruiser strongly committed to dear charities of my choosing and am outraged at Silversea's ownership's action in adding this charge. The amount is trivial, but the action insulting. I sympathize with Steve Tucker having to defend this idiotic ownership decision. I'll be back on the Spirit shortly and find it ridiculous that I will have to approach reception as a supplicant to ask that this charge be removed.

just another strong second to all of the posters, most recently those of island cruiser and my friend emtbsam. I am a long-time silverea cruiser strongly committed to dear charities of my choosing and am outraged at silversea's ownership's action in adding this charge. The amount is trivial, but the action insulting. I sympathize with steve tucker having to defend this idiotic ownership decision. I'll be back on the spirit shortly and find it ridiculous that i will have to approach reception as a supplicant to ask that this charge be removed.

'nuf ced!!!

'nuf ced!!!

I actually think this has been one of the better threads and I therefore do not think it is necessary to try to cut this discussion off.

I think that the more people who comment the better, no matter what their opinion is on this approach. I think feedback is good and this is one that the more feedback (even if there is a lot of agreement) the better in order to provide a sense of how we think which will likely be indicative of how passengers in general will see this issue.

Keith

"Silversea (and the charity) would be much better if they simply had a donation bin at the embarkation area where passengers could deposit all their spare change in whatever currency, from trips ashore. I'm sure that would net far more than $1 per day."

Conchyjoe - what a great idea!!!

I am vehemently opposed to this automatic charge as well - I know that all of us have our favorite charities and some of them may be very near and dear to our hearts. That Silversea is in effect "forcing" us to donate to their pet charity, no matter how worthwhile, is beyond comprehension. It is immaterial that the charge is small - this is all about the principal of the matter. I think Silversea is treading on some dangerous territory here and is likely to scare off many customers with their attitude and enforcement of this issue. I don't think Silversea can afford to alienate their customer base this way. We are boarding the Spirit in September and now I have to keep a mental note to make sure we go to reception and get the charge erased. I'm not too thrilled to have this on my mind as we head off on a luxury cruise which is supposed to be all about "pleasing the customer". Certainly hope they are "rethinking" this policy...

Very dumb idea. Response from HQ even worse. Clueless. Won't pay it and will likely leave a stain on our experience having to take time out of our holiday to have to ask for $20 back at reception. No right to make us feel uncharitable. Just the worst kind of treatment. Get rid of this now!!!

This new policy is turning me away from the charity before I ever step foot on the ship. While, after reading about the charity once on board, I probably would have made a donation, I now just want to go straight to the Reception Desk and have the charge removed.

Just got our docs for our upcoming cruise. There is a notification that we will automatically be charged a few dollars for a charity that Silversea is involved with. Though, I'm all for donating to charity, I thought it was odd that we were told our contribution is automatically added to our shipboard account and we can remove the charge by visiting Reception during our voyage. Is this something new? I have not encountered it on any other cruiseline that we've sailed on. The name of the charity is Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation.

So, Silversea has decided to donate the passenger's money. Very charitable. :rolleyes:

Although we don't board Silver Spirit until November for our first Silversea experience, this certainly doesn't sound to be in keeping with everything we have read and heard about the line thus far. As for Mr. Tucker's comment, I sincerely doubt that the corporate executives came up with this idea - rather it sounds like something which has been decreed by the Deputy Chairman or someone else quite removed from the operational side of things who quite obviously didn't consider the ramifications of implementing such a procedure. I think Mr. Tucker has simply been thrown to the wolves to try and maintain the party line and put out the fire. Hopefully the feedback which this thread has provided can and will be passed further up the line to bring some sense to those who are currently suffering from some type of "ivory tower" complex.

We are still excited about our upcoming trip (November 13-23 Bridgetown to FLL) and appreciate the excellent insights and commentary found on this Board!

According to Mr. Tucker the solicitation continues once we are onboard. As he states:

" Also, on day 3 of their voyage, guests will receive (in their suites) a brochure detailing the work of the foundation as well as an "awareness bracelet" to show their support."

Like so many of you, we attend several fund raisers for charities throughout the year. I really do not care for the idea of being solicited by the cruiseline while I am on vacation. I think it is in poor taste. Can I bring my brochures for my charity and pass them out among the guests?...perhaps on a sea day around the pool? That would go over very well, I'm sure...just a thought! I really don't think Silversea gives a hoot what is being written here. But it feels good to vent.

Love your thinking, cruzemaven. But, don't hand out your charity brochures to the guests. Give them out to the senior crew members, spa attendants, Hotel Director, etc. and tell them at the end of the cruise you expect a $1 a day from them. Let's see how that would go over.;)

I agree with you. I don't believe SS cares what is being discussed here. The constant pandering is going to completely disenfranchise many of their clients. This is a vacation. Give it a break SS!:eek:

Love your thinking, cruzemaven. But, don't hand out your charity brochures to the guests. Give them out to the senior crew members, spa attendants, Hotel Director, etc. and tell them at the end of the cruise you expect a $1 a day from them. Let's see how that would go over.;)

Don't assume they won't. In a lot of businesses, pressure on employees to give to the boss's favorite charity is not unknown.

What's really annoying is telling us we can go to the Reception Desk and opt out of donating. That's like having to go to the desk on mass market lines and opting out of the gratuities. I don't want to have that obligation or chore. If I did I would book on Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Or maybe I am now!!!!!

Mr. Tucker,

I don't know who directed this policy in the first place and who came up with the flimsy excuse you gave us by trying to explain what this charity does but it clearly did not do the trick. I suggest you forward this thread to the head of the company so he can see what his wife's "charity" may cost his business.

Totally agree - I'm so annoyed that I'm going to have to be bothered with this during my trip, and also to be put into the awkward position of having to appear "uncharitable"...a first for me, that's for sure. I'm thinking we should just call Silversea before our trip and have them take care of removing this charge proactively - I don't want to waste one second of my vacation time on this matter.

This whole idea is very presumptuous. It is an unauthorized charge on our credit card and a very pushy thing to do. The passengers are not a cash cow for someone's pet cause. Every year I choose where my charity money goes, but now I have to go to the Reception Desk and say "I'm an uncharitable cheapskate". Thanks.

Already someone on this thread has said that they won't fight it because the amount is trivial compared to the cost of the cruise. That is exactly what Silversea had in mind when they imposed this involuntary guilt fee on us.

Not me. Even if I fully supported this charity, I would still say no in these circumstances out of principle.

Thanks, Lorri (behind the scenes) and Steve for reading this thread.

I don't find it to be a big deal to have this removed if the guest is aware before sailing because we all have to give the cc for imprint, and that should be the time to do it. Maybe the check-in concierge people could ask people then and there if they want to leave the charge or not. You will never get past the fact that some won't notice it, some won't like it, some will appreciate it, and others will resent it. The question is what % will resent it.

Well, Debbie, seems that there is a bit of resentment on these boards. I know that the people who post here are a minority of passengers, but if guests on board feel the same way, it will be very interesting.

On another note, when I do donate to a charity, I want to know how much money out of a dollar goes to the charity and how much is administrative costs. Will SS provide this info. if asked? I hope so. The last thing I want to do is donate to pay for fancy offices and someone's salary.

Again, it is the principle and the way SS went about this.:(

Archived