Sunburn and sunscreen

Maple_Girl

John Heald's blog today mentioned sunburns and sunscreen. It got me thinking and I'm hoping my CC friends can answer some questions for me. I've heard that the chance for sunburn on a cruise is significant. Is there more of a chance than at the beach or walking around town? I usually use aerosol or pump sunscreen rather than lotion. Does anyone else use this type while cruising? How often do you have to reapply? Do you only use sunscreen if you're going to lie out in the sun or do you wear if for walking around as well.

Thanks!

I'm fair I burn easily. Spend all day on lido or at beach while cruising and have never burned.

I was "taught" by the dermatologistprobably 20 years ago...if you wait until you are out in the sun to apply sunscreen...it is too late. The trick is to apply it at least 30 minutes BEFORE going out...gives the chemicals time to soak into your skin and do their job.

I have sensitive skin and use Coppertone for "Babies" lotion SPF 50 in the pink bottle every morning before leaving my cabin. (it doesn't burn your eyes either) Rub it on from head to toe, give it time to soak in and put on my swimsuit or clothes and I'm ready for the day. After being in the water I will use the spray type for touch ups.

I spend a lot of time in the pool all summer and beach days on crusies. Yes I get some tan but I don't burn.

Yes it's a pain the butt to rub that crap on every day...but it is sooooooooooo worth it. I used to burn, blister, peel several times every summer.

We live on the beach and I have found that the childrens sunscreen seems to stay on longer than the regular..I use a lotion in the morning and then reaply with a spray every couple of hours we are all tan even though I coat everyone but we never burn and we are outside most of the year..I usually use a 50 on the kids and a 30 on myself..My husband is a Marine and spends a great deal of time overseas in the sun he swears by Bullfrog and has used it for years he never burns! The ship is like the beach it is breezy and you can burn quickly reapply often whatever you use..

We take spf 30 with us and apply it all day long, whether we are at the beach or walking around the port. It just seems the sun is stronger in the Caribbean.

The sun is more direct in the Caribbean because it's closer to the equator which makes it much easier to burn much quicker. I use minimum SPF-30 (usually SPF-50) and at the beach unless I'm in the water we use an umbrella and never sit out in the sun. My DH had malignant melanoma 5 years ago and fortunately he's fine but we are very careful in the sun. Burning is worse than tanning but both are damaging and the color is how your body reacts to that damage.

My husband is a Marine and spends a great deal of time overseas in the sun he swears by Bullfrog and has used it for years he never burns! The ship is like the beach it is breezy and you can burn quickly reapply often whatever you use..

I've used the Bullfrog (it's actually made near where I live) but it seems to come off in little balls when I get out of the water...looks like my skin is peeling. Does your dh have that problem?

Apply Your Sunscreen Properly

Sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before you go in the sun.

Sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours.

It takes a full ounce of sunscreen applied liberally to the face, neck, and ears to get the SPF rating advertised.

Sunscreen should be worn anytime you go outside and not be reserved for a day at the beach. Daily errands including driving provide enough sun to damage skin. Car windows block most UV-B rays but not UV-A rays.

Don't skip sunscreen on cloudy days. UV rays penetrate the atmosphere through the clouds and can cause sunburn and other skin damage even though you don't feel the heat of the sun.

Check the Date – Sunscreen Expires

The efficacy of sunscreen expires over time and will not provide the protection required. Check the expiration date on your sunscreen. If the product is expired or if the color or smell has changed replace it with new sunscreen. A good rule of thumb is to purchase new sunscreen each summer.

The Key to Sunscreen Efficacy is Proper Selection and Application

Proper selection and application of sunscreen is critical to protect against sunburn, skin cancer and premature aging. Selecting a broad spectrum sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30 is the first step in this process followed by proper application of the sunscreen to provide maximum protection.

And more/similar info here:

http://www.smartskincare.com/skinprotection/how-to-apply-sunscreen.html

P.S. There is a brand called Blue Lizard made in Australia where I understand the testing and sunscreen requirements are stricter than here in North America - also more 'waterproof'!

I've used the Bullfrog (it's actually made near where I live) but it seems to come off in little balls when I get out of the water...looks like my skin is peeling. Does your dh have that problem?

Last week I used Bullfrog 36SPF on St. Thomas and got "pink" after already having a tan. I switched back to Banana Boat Sport 30SPF and did fine. I wonder if it has to do with the oilyness (sp) of the individual's skin. I use the Bullfrog stick on my face and it works fine.

The problem i find is that your having such a good time and the breeze from the ocean keeps you a bit cooler so you don't realize your getting burned. You definitely should put on waterproof sunscreen when you go out on deck. I use a SPF 50 and still get a good tan.....SPF 50 on the face at least and SPF 30 on the body! Thats just what i do and it works for me!

I agree about starting to apply a couple of days BEFORE extreme sun exposure. It needs time to build up in your skin.

For YEARS, I've been applying anything with a 30+ SPF, while DW uses the oils. She burns, and gets mad at me as I come back with a GREAT tan.

And throw the stuff away at the end of the year!

AS BND points out the sun is slightly stronger in the Caribbean. Also the refraction off the water makes it stronger. High SPF levels than what you'd use at the beach or walking around are preferred. I use Bullfrog Gel SPF 50 and have no issues with it coming off in the water. Without any lotion at all I look like a crispy critter in an hour.:D

Apply Your Sunscreen Properly

Sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before you go in the sun.

Sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours.

It takes a full ounce of sunscreen applied liberally to the face, neck, and ears to get the SPF rating advertised.

Sunscreen should be worn anytime you go outside and not be reserved for a day at the beach. Daily errands including driving provide enough sun to damage skin. Car windows block most UV-B rays but not UV-A rays.

Don't skip sunscreen on cloudy days. UV rays penetrate the atmosphere through the clouds and can cause sunburn and other skin damage even though you don't feel the heat of the sun.

Check the Date – Sunscreen Expires

The efficacy of sunscreen expires over time and will not provide the protection required. Check the expiration date on your sunscreen. If the product is expired or if the color or smell has changed replace it with new sunscreen. A good rule of thumb is to purchase new sunscreen each summer.

The Key to Sunscreen Efficacy is Proper Selection and Application

Proper selection and application of sunscreen is critical to protect against sunburn, skin cancer and premature aging. Selecting a broad spectrum sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30 is the first step in this process followed by proper application of the sunscreen to provide maximum protection.

And more/similar info here:

http://www.smartskincare.com/skinprotection/how-to-apply-sunscreen.html

P.S. There is a brand called Blue Lizard made in Australia where I understand the testing and sunscreen requirements are stricter than here in North America - also more 'waterproof'!

I bought "Blue Lizard" at our dermatologist office....so I guess it's supposed to be pretty good. The bottle turns blue when it is out in the sun.

I am not sure I will ask him..he uses it when he is overseas not much beachtime there..when he is home he uses whatever is around the house..I was surfing yesterday with my boys and used the Coppertone Waterbabies it worked great stayed on for hours..like I said in the previous post I really like the baby sunscreen..it just seems to last..have a great day all lisa

I use sunblock....not sunscreen. Not really sure what the difference is, but I don't burn. I usually use at least a 50 SPF rating, but have used much higher. I burn like gasoline, I have to have protection.

Another part of your body that you should not neglect is your lips. Use a good sunscreen or sunblock stick on your lips and apply it often as well. After two lip cancers (non-smoker) and two operations, I finally got the message. Your lips will burn and chap just like any other part of your body. Take care of your smoochers! :)

I am a big fan of Panama Jack...works really well and smells REALLY good...I use the spray, I do not use lotion. When we go on a cruise I bring 2 bottles of 30 and 2 bottles of 15...for the first few days we use the 30 and the last few days we use the 15...I also go tanning prior to the cruise to get a little base...nothing extreme.

If I am not in the water I reapply every 4 hours, if I am in the water than every 2 hours works for us. I keep it on no matter where we are in the Caribbean...beach, ship, town...the sun is the same in all those places and will burn you no matter where you go.

I also make sure I bring a chapstick that has an SPF in it...not sure if you have ever gotten sun burn on your lips but it is not pretty!

I use sunscreen all the time - on a cruise or not. On a cruise it's even more important. As someone else (Poptart) said, put it on before you even get dressed in the morning and reapply during the day to exposed areas.

I use sunblock....not sunscreen. Not really sure what the difference is, but I don't burn. I usually use at least a 50 SPF rating, but have used much higher. I burn like gasoline, I have to have protection.

Sunblock versus sunscreen: http://www.family-health-and-nutrition.com/sunblock-vs-sunscreen.html

(there is also a link to a searchable database so you can check out your current sunscreen!)

I'm very fair. I typically cruise with an entire selection of sunscreen. While I'm at the beach or on deck I get along fine with SPF 30. If I am in Roatan, Honduras (Much closer to the equator) I need spf 50. I'm a lotion kind of gal. I don't like the sprays. They feel weird on my skin to me. I do have one thing to remind you if you use sprays please step away from others to spray it. It's very annoying to be sprayed down by other's while they are applying their own sunscreen. :) (I was "stuck" in a chair next to a person who applied every 10 minutes. I'm not joking)

I went on a cruise in November, and sat on the lido reading a book with my pants rolled up (out of Galveston). I got a terrible sunburn on my legs in less than an hour and we were sailing to Key West. I think it must have something to do with the reflection of the water. I do not usually burn like that.

I also like blue lizard, it is much more environmentally safe. But for my fair skinned, freckled DH, we use the Coppertone babies SPF 50. Works great.

A good habit to get into is using at least SPF 15 EVERYDAY. Just think about those marks you get from sandals just walking around. I happen to like the Lubiderm and that goes from neck down when I get out of the shower. My moisterizer for my face is Oil of Olay and that has the 15 in it too. By the time I am out the door, it is all sunk in.

That way when you travel, you already have some base protection built up.

I am have extreemly fair skin as well as sensative. I use bannana boat 15 oil. I spray it on about 1/2 hours before leaving to go in the sun. then I reapply often if I am swimming. Works great and I get a little color without burning!!

Archived