St Peters question

cruisinval

Hello! We are leaving in a couple days, and I need some help from the professionals! Because of the great advice on these boards, we will be climbing the cupola at St. Peters Basilica before our Vatican tour at 9:00 am. We have planned to arrive at the cupola at 8:00 when it opens.

Do we have enough time to climb the over 320 steps, and get to Via Germanico 8 by 8:45 for the tour? I think if we were a couple minutes late it would be ok.

Also, where do we have the taxi drop us off? And, how do we get to St. Peters?

Thanks pros!:)

I just don't think you have enough time. Even if getting to the top doesn't take long, you don't want to rush it. I did the lift partway and spent a while at that level just looking at the inside of the dome (maybe 15 minutes). Then the steps to the top, where I must've spent another 20-30 minutes before heading back.

Also, the entrance to the dome is near the entrance to St. Peters basilica, and not near the Vatican museum entrance. To get to the museum, it's about a 15 minute walk.

Not sure if I understand your last couple of questions. Where should you have the taxi drop you off for what? And where are you coming from?

Also, there is a security line to get into St. Peter's, though it probably won't be bad that early. It stretched at least a block when we were there at noon, or more.

Can you do the Vatican first and then climb the cupula? That way you don't have to stand in the security line--you can exit from the Sistine Chapel and be right by the basilica.

Otherwise, I think you are pushing it. It is quite a walk to the Vatican Museums from St. Peter's Square, as well as any line and actually climbing the dome.

Not possible. It is a LONG walk to the museum entrance. You are much better off having the taxi drop you at the entrance to the museums, then when you get to the Sistine Chapel exit by the back RIGHT hand door, and you will come out right by the ticket booth for the cupola climb. After that you can tour the inside of the basilica. Much easier this way. Really.

Not possible. It is a LONG walk to the museum entrance. You are much better off having the taxi drop you at the entrance to the museums, then when you get to the Sistine Chapel exit by the back RIGHT hand door, and you will come out right by the ticket booth for the cupola climb. After that you can tour the inside of the basilica. Much easier this way. Really.

I agree. This is exactly the way to do it; you'll skip the long lines and have plenty of time for the climb and touring the basilica. Honestly, I don't think you have enough time the other way. We rushed very fast from the security line in front of St. Peter's to get to the Vatican Museum for our noon ticket time and it still took about ten minutes. And we arrived hot and bothered from the fast walking. (I didn't realize the museum entrance was not near the square.)

You're planning to go through the line, get the tickets, climb the dome, come back down and then walk all the way around to the museum in less than an hour. I'd say it's almost impossible, even if your tour time is a little flexible--and you won't be able to relax and enjoy the climb and views.

Thanks so much guys! Thats how we will do it then :)

Sure glad I asked!

Just keep saying to yourself, "RIGHT hand door"! I knew that but almost went out the wrong way following the crowds--remembered at the last second. The door will say something like 'tours only' but just walk on out like you know what you are doing.;)

Archived