Diamonds International

Why does RCI push Diamonds International? Do you think they have a stake in DI? We were on a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago and the shopper on the ship actually spoke from a podium that had a Diamonds International logo on the front rather than Celebrity. It's funny to see what cruiselines push what stores. Some lines act as if certain stores don't even exist.

Just something we always wondered about.

Judy

I suspect that there is an ownership relationship between the two. To be honest, I don't really care. I know that anything pushed so hard is rarely the best deal in town.

I don't avoid DI but I don't always expect to find the best price and will shop many other stores as well. When buying jewelry, I realize I'm not buying and investment. It will never appreciate to a greater price than what I'm paying for it at the store. I buy what my wife likes and is at a price we can afford. If it happens to be at one of the recommended stores so be it. On our last cruise to the caribbean, my wife found what she liked at Kays. I think it's the first time we've ever purchased something from a store on the ships list (at least as far as jewelry).

Of all the pieces of jewelry we've purchased, I've only had an issue with one. It was a Opal dublet purchased at Caesers in Lake Tahoe. After a couple of years, the stone cracked right down the middle. I have had to have a set of my wife's opal earings repaired after the gold post broke but, IMO, that's a minor thing.

From what I have heard, the cruise lines gets a percentage of the sales from their passengers. To get the "special discount" you need to show your cruise card and thats how they track the sales for the ships. Most of the time the discounts are a crock. Sorry.

Of all the pieces of jewelry we've purchased, I've only had an issue with one. It was a Opal dublet purchased at Caesers in Lake Tahoe. After a couple of years, the stone cracked right down the middle. I have had to have a set of my wife's opal earings repaired after the gold post broke but, IMO, that's a minor thing.

I did spend some time in my past life working for a jewelry store. Opals are very porous stones and are very prone to "cracking down the middle" if not taken care of properly. Opals cannot be cleaned using regular jewelry cleaners as they are harsh and dry them out and make them brittle. Opals, along with onyx, and pearls and other "soft" stones should be soaked in mineral oil for at least 24 hours every six months. It helps them retain their luster as well as keeping them from drying out.

To clean them, soak in mineral oil over night to loosen up any dirt or oils, and wipe clean with a soft cotton cloth.:)

I did spend some time in my past life working for a jewelry store. Opals are very porous stones and are very prone to "cracking down the middle" if not taken care of properly. Opals cannot be cleaned using regular jewelry cleaners as they are harsh and dry them out and make them brittle. Opals, along with onyx, and pearls and other "soft" stones should be soaked in mineral oil for at least 24 hours every six months. It helps them retain their luster as well as keeping them from drying out.

To clean them, soak in mineral oil over night to loosen up any dirt or oils, and wipe clean with a soft cotton cloth.:)

Wow, you told my wife something she didn't already know! :D Trust me, that's not an easy thing to do. ;)

Archived