*** PHOTOS From La Seyne-sur-Mer to Toulon on your own (June 4, 2010 AOS)***

daliflor

We recently returned from a four nights short cruise on the RCI Adventure of the Seas (left June 3rd from Barcelona, stopping in Toulon, France and then overnight in Ibiza, Spain before returning to Barcelona on June 7th 2010).

As many large ships dock now in La Seyne-sur-Mer (and not Toulon, Provence as typically indicated on the itinerary), I thought appropriate to post some photos of the area and some ideas on how to get out to Toulon, Cassis, Cannes, Avignon, Aix etc.

First off, you may also find useful this document from Voyager of the Seas (offering some options of "Transportation from Toulon" - actually to Toulon from Seyne-sur-Mer):

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/207...06566457QLaaRY

Note that RCI offers a shuttle transfer to Toulon at about 12.00 USD/pax.

With that aside, I'll return to our own journey on Friday, June 4th 2010 (on the AOS).

We were scheduled to be in Toulon, Provence (aka Seyne-sur-Mer) from 7am to 5pm on June 4th 2010... allowed to get off the ship close to 7:30am that morning (so we missed an early train connection, getting to plan B for the day: went to Cannes by train and then did Toulon on our own... had to skip the visit to Cassis by train as we couldn't get off the ship at 7am).

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June2010.jpg

Left the AOS ship behind us (see below a picture of the AOS docked in La Seyne-sur-Mer for quick reference) and

headed to the main (and only) street (on the right hand side, towards Downtown if you have the ship behind you).

AOS_Seyne-sur-Mer_June4-2010.jpg

Adventure of the Seas docked in La Seyne-sur-Mer (June 4, 2010)

Before getting to the street, you may see this sign (AOS ship being in the background in the picture below):

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20101.jpg

Adventure of the Seas docked in La Seyne-sur-Mer (June 4, 2010)

Less than 1 km/mile away, walking on the main street, we found the Bus stop (end of the line); took local Bus # 8 to Toulon

(dropped us off very close to Toulon Train Station... we reached it within 5 minutes walking distance up the street).

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20109.jpg

The bus stop in La Seyne-sur-Mer and the local map (see where you are and Nr. 8 indicating the bus number)

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June201010.jpg

Check the schedule for local bus # 8 from La Seyne to Toulon at:

http://www.reseaumistral.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp?rub_code=6&thm_id=1150&gpl_id=0

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June201017.jpg

Local Bus Number 8 from La Seyne-sur-Mer to Toulon, France (AOS, June 4th 2010)

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June201016.jpg

You pay the driver directly (bus ticket costs 1.40 €/pax).

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June201011.jpg

La Seyne-sur-Mer, France (view from local bus # 8 on June 4th 2010)

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June201014.jpg

La Seyne-sur-Mer, France (view from local bus # 8 on June 4th 2010)

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June201015.jpg

AOS seen in the background early morning (June 4th 2010)

The ride to La Seyne Train station is about 15 min. (we did not get off there):

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June2010-Gare.jpg

Gare de La Seyne (SNCF) - seen from local bus # 8 (June 4, 2010)

Edited by daliflor

So you can take local Bus # 8 from La Seyne-sur-Mer to Toulon and the bus ticket is 1.40 €/pax (dropped us off very close to Toulon Train Station SNCF... we reached it within 5 minutes walking distance up the street).

The bus ride was about 45 minutes (due to traffic on Friday morning, June 4th 2010).

From The Train Station in Toulon you can go to Cannes or Nice (the train comes from Marseilles and it reaches Cannes in less than 1.5 hrs)...

or Cassis, Avignon or even back to Marseille... some many destinations to chose from!

Note that most of the local SNCF trains offer 20% discount for senior citizens'tickets (60+ years old).

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June201019.jpg

SNCF Train Station in Toulon (June 4, 2010)

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20102.jpg

For the price of the bus ticket (1.40 €), you can enjoy a fresh coffee across the street, at Cafe de la Gare.

We took the train from Toulon to Cannes (left Toulon at 10:12am and arrived in Cannes at 11:32am...

the earlier train left Toulon at 8:10am that day). Full price ticket: 18.90 €/one way.

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20103.jpg

Inside the SNCF Train Station in Toulon (June 4, 2010)

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20106.jpg

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20108.jpg

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20107.jpg

The train to Cannes came to Toulon from Marseille at gate 3 and the "ter" train's final destination was Nice.

There were only 3 short stops before we reached Cannes that Friday (80 minutes later).

As many large ships dock now in La Seyne-sur-Mer (and not Toulon, Provence as typically indicated on the itinerary), I also thought appropriate to post some photos of the area and some ideas on how to get back from Toulon to La Seyne-sur-Mer where your ship may be docked.

First off, you may also find useful this document from Voyager of the Seas (offering some options of "Transportation from Toulon" - actually to Toulon from Seyne-sur-Mer): http://travel.webshots.com/photo/207...06566457QLaaRY

Note that RCI offers a shuttle transfer to Toulon (and back to La Seyne-sur-Mer) at about 12.00 USD/pax.

With that aside, I'll return to our own journey on Friday, June 4th 2010 (on the AOS).

After we came back to Toulon from Cannes, we had plenty of time to explore the city on our own (did some easy walking and then took Le Petit Train de Toulon). Cannes also has a Petit Train du Cinema (35 min ride or the 1 hour Big Tour for 10.00€ covering the old town and the old port, the Promenade Croissete, the main beaches and hotels).

In Toulon, you catch "Le Petit train" right by the main port/ Waterfront/ Gare Maritime area and it has two types of tours that you can choose from (based on your interest). Cost: 6.00€/adult; 4.00€/kid (45 min ride)

a). Visit the Naval Base

July-August: 10h - 11h - 13h30 - 14h30 - 15h30

b). Visit the city and the beaches (Circuit 1), tour covering the following areas: (Avenue de la République; Cours Lafayette; Stade Mayol; Port Marchand; Port de Plaisance; Port Militaire; Arsenal du Mourillon; Pointe de la Mitre; Bathyscaphe; Tour Royale; Port Saint-Louis; Corniche du Mourillon; Fort Saint- Louis; ardins du Mourillon; Plage Lido; Plage de la Source; Musée Asiatique; Eglise Saint-François de Paule)

July-August: 10h30- 11h- 11h30- 12h- 13h30- 14h- 14h30- 15h- 15h30- 16h- 16h30- 17h- 17h30- 18h

FYI - We completed Circuit 1 on June 4th (Friday afternoon) and it was well worth it (may post pictures later).

8M-boat_June4-2010.jpg

Le Petit Train de Toulon (June 4, 2010)

Then, righ next door to Le Petit Train final stop, by the Waterfront, we took the boat # 8M (Ligne maritime) from Toulon to La Seyne-sur-Mer

(20 minutes ride for 2.00€/pax - you pay inside the boat when the man comes to collect, right after the boat leaves).

8M-boat_June4-20105.jpg

The sign by the Waterfront, next to the Petit Train, where you can take the 2.00€ boat # 8M back to La Seyne-sur-Mer (from Toulon)

8M-boat_June4-20106.jpg

Getting to the 2.00€ boat # 8M (from Toulon back to La Seyne-sur-Mer)

8M-boat_June4-20101.jpg

Schedule for transfer boat # 8M from/to La Seyne to/from Toulon

8M-boat_June4-20103.jpg

The 2.00€ boat # 8M schedule (from Toulon back to La Seyne-sur-Mer); other destinations available too

8M-boat_June4-20102.jpg

Gate 3 - where the 2.00€ boat # 8M was leaving from Toulon to La Seyne-sur-Mer (June 4, 2010)

Check the schedule for local boat # 8M from/to La Seyne to/from Toulon at:

http://www.reseaumistral.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp?rub_code=6&thm_id=1149&gpl_id=0

http://www.reseaumistral.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp?rub_code=6&thm_id=1149&gpl_id=0

Gate 3 - where the 2.00€ boat # 8M was leaving from Toulon to La Seyne-sur-Mer (June 4, 2010):

8M-boat_June4-20104.jpg

Lignes-Maritime-Toulon4.jpg

Leaving the Maritime Station behind in Toulon (heading to La Syne-sur-Mer on the 8M transfer boat)

Lignes-Maritime-Toulon3.jpg

Lignes-Maritime-Toulon2.jpg

Poster inside the the 8M transfer boat (heading back to La Syne-sur-Mer on June 4th 2010; 20 min. ride)

Lignes-Maritime-Toulon1.jpg

Leaving the Maritime Station behind in Toulon (heading to La Syne-sur-Mer on the 8M transfer boat)

Lignes-Maritime-Toulon.jpg

Edited by daliflor

20 minutes after you left Toulon on the 2.00€ boat # 8M, you'll arrive in La Seyne-sur-Mer Centre (by the waterside, not the street side... less than 1 km/mile walking distance along the Waterfont to get back to the ship - you'll have the ship on your sight, so can't miss it!)

This is the not so pretty area (but safe) where the transfer boat # 8M drops you off in La Seyne-sur-Mer:

AOS-La-Syne-June20103.jpg

The area where the transfer boat # 8M drops you off in La Seyne-sur-Mer

Then, on the other side side, you'll keep an eye on your ship the whole time (pictured below is our Adventure of the Seas on June 4th 2010):

AOS-La-Syne-June2010.jpg

Adventure of the Seas in La Seyne-sur-Mer, France (June 4, 2010)

AOS-La-Syne-June20101.jpg

AOS-La-Syne-June20102.jpg

AOS-La-Syne-June20105.jpg

Getting closer and closer to your ship:

AOS-La-Syne-June20104.jpg

20 minutes after we left Toulon on the 2.00€ boat # 8M, we arrived in La Seyne-sur-Mer Centre (by the waterside... less than 1 km/mile walking distance along the Waterfont to get back to our AOS ship !)

Got closer and closer to the AOS ship, walking along the Waterfront on Friday afternoon:

AOS-La-Syne-June20109.jpg

Adventure of the Seas in La Seyne-sur-Mer (June 4, 2010)

AOS-La-Syne-June20106.jpg

Adventure of the Seas in La Seyne-sur-Mer (June 4, 2010)

AOS-La-Syne-June20108.jpg

Are we there yet?...

AOS-La-Syne-June20107.jpg

One more turn and we'll be there!

AOS-La-Syne-June201010.jpg

Voila! Adventure of the Seas in La Seyne-sur-Mer (and the miniature Straw Market next to the ship, June 4th 2010)

AOS-La-Syne-June201011.jpg

GREAT info! Thanks for posting. We had no idea we'd be docking in La Syne-sur-Mer and had rented a car in Toulon. The rental agency came to the port to pick us (and another couple who made the same mistake) up and took us to the car rental facility. This cost us a couple of hours of precious time, but we did drive up to Aix and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Being as detail-oriented as both my DH and I are, I don't know how this detail escaped us. Your post will save many people time, which is very precious when your in a port for such a short time.

On another note, the car rental was a good option. We drove to Aix and had a GPS to take us back to the port at 4:30, where the car rental agency (Sixt Car Rental) picked up the car. That was SO convenient. The cars come with a GPS, which can be programmed in English.

Thank you! This will be very helpful for our September cruise. We will also be in Toulon and Villefrance and are planning to tour on our own.

Glad that I can be of some help.

GREAT info! Thanks for posting. We had no idea we'd be docking in La Syne-sur-Mer and had rented a car in Toulon. The rental agency came to the port to pick us (and another couple who made the same mistake) up and took us to the car rental facility. This cost us a couple of hours of precious time, but we did drive up to Aix and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Being as detail-oriented as both my DH and I are, I don't know how this detail escaped us. Your post will save many people time, which is very precious when your in a port for such a short time.

On another note, the car rental was a good option. We drove to Aix and had a GPS to take us back to the port at 4:30, where the car rental agency (Sixt Car Rental) picked up the car. That was SO convenient. The cars come with a GPS, which can be programmed in English.

Your input is greatly appreciated and helpful - thank you for detailing this other transportation option.

OP, can you replace the link on Webshots that was posted at the beginning of your post. It states it has been moved and no longer works. Thanks

Unfortunately, as a user, I can only edit the post(s) only during 15 min window... so unable to remove the link at this late time...

Thank you for the update though.

• 3 weeks later...

Close-up on RCI ship "Adventure of the Seas" - images from the boat # 8M that we took

from Toulon back to La Seyne-sur-Mer (where the ship was docked):

AOS-June4-2010.jpg

AOS-June4-20103.jpg

AOS-June4-20105.jpg

AOS-June4-20106.jpg

AOS-June4-20109.jpg

AOS-June4-20108.jpg

The RCI ship "Adventure of the Seas" - images taken from the boat # 8M that we used

from Toulon to get back to La Seyne-sur-Mer (where the ship was docked):

AOS-June4-20107.jpg

AOS-June4-201010.jpg

AOS-June4-201011.jpg

AOS-June4-201012.jpg

AOS-June4-20102.jpg

AOS-June4-20104.jpg

• 1 month later...
Great pictures and information. I was trying to find information on how to get to the train station in La Seyne sur Mer and I think your post answered. Just to be sure - the #8 bus stops at the La Seyne sur Mer train station?

Yes, it stops across the street from the train station (pictured above from the actual bus). Make sure you ask the driver ahead to let you off at the Gare/ train station.

• 4 weeks later...

My DH and I are on the AOS on November 29th in Toulon (for the day only). I have tried e-mailing to the Sixt car rental about getting a car and if they would meet us at the ship but they are not replying. Did you arrange ahead of time for the Toulon agency to meet you at the ship? Not sure what I should be doing for the car rental. One of the ads has Port de Toulon as a pick-up spot but we will be docked in La Seyne sur Mer and would really like to get the car at that port instead of going to Toulon.

(Thanks for telling me about the GPS - I will definitely get one for the day). It's usually easy to get out of the port and go somewhere but sometimes a challenge to get back to the ship or the rental agency.

Wendy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Do ALL the cruise ships dock here then? We shall be on the Thomson Dream docking at Toulon in May 2012.

Not sure if ALL of them but most of them having "Toulon" listed as the Port of Call in the itinerary.

May want to email/ call the cruise line to ensure accuracy (we called RCI and they clarified the specifics for La Seyne-Sur-Mer rather than the Port of Toulon).

Happy crusing!

• 3 months later...