Is the Steakhouse worth it?

gslargent

Here's the way I look at the premium restaurants:

The steakhouse, to me is as good as any "non-premier" steakhouse on land. i.e. it's not Morton's or Ruth's Chris. But it is better than the steak at just about any other restaurant.

As such, I would price the meal- appetizer, salad, entree, side and desert (not including drinks) based on what I would pay on land. And for that meal, that amount of food, $75 is a reasonable estimate.

Well, they charge $30 for it. That means, by comparison, the MDR is a $45 meal. Now, I have had some decent meals in the MDR, but let's face it. It's mass produced banquet food. I have been involved in many events that included providing a dinner, and there is NO WAY the MDR meals would ever cost $45 per person, when being made on such a large scale.

With that in mind, not only are the premium restaurants worth it, they are in fact, a bargain!

I'm sailing on the Dream next week and wondering if I should book the Steakhouse. In your opinion, is it worth spending the extra $30 when you could save the money and eat in the MDR?

Depends. Do you like really good steaks? Do you like a more refined dining atmosphere than the MDR? Are you really into food and service?

If the answer is yes, then it's a worthwhile experience.

If the answer is no (and there is nothing wrong with that .... some folks just aren't as into food as others), then save your money for something else.

Here's the way I look at the premium restaurants:

The steakhouse, to me is as good as any "non-premier" steakhouse on land. i.e. it's not Morton's or Ruth's Chris. But it is better than the steak at just about any other restaurant.

I'd classify the Great Arts Steakhouse as being on par with Morton's and Ruth Chris', which, as chains are not really premier steakhouses in the same vein as a Gibson's or BOA or even a Lonesome Dove. The quality of the meat is very high. The line cooks do a great job and would be assets in any high end restaurant.

I don't cruise expecting chefs and cooks who have had tutelage under Tom Colicchio or Eric Ripert, but I do enjoy quality service and that's what G.A.S. has brought to us every time we've eaten there.

So is it worth it? Yes! Yes! And do book your reservations before you board the ship so you can pick your evenings and times. Otherwise you'll get 5:30P or 9P.

I love it but my wife could do without it. Great meal and service but takes a good portion of your time. I have done it every cruise so far but can't on my next as the Victory doesn't have one. Maybe i'll never do one again just to save space in my luggage! Unless i rent a tux through Carnival like i have before.

I had no intention of paying the $30 per person a couple of weeks ago on the Liberty. My mother won a certificate for two free dinners and gave it to my husband and I. We thought the meal was incredible! We live near Chicago and have been to some pretty wonderful restaurants, but we thought the steakhouse was right up there quality-wise.

If we had discovered it earlier in the week we probably would have gone again. As great as the service was in the MDR for us, it was definitely kicked up a notch at the steakhouse.

DH LOVES IT.. IMPO it is okay. I could do with or without it. I would say if you never tried it then you should do it once and see for yourself :D I really do not like how LONG it takes, although the food is excellent.

Being what you said and how my wife feels ....i have come to the conclusion that men love to eat big good portions more than women. :D I have to admit im running 3.2 miles everyday and dieting so i can enjoy myself on the cruise. We men love to eat big steaks and huge lobstertails washed down with some good cold beers:D

I'd classify the Great Arts Steakhouse as being on par with Morton's and Ruth Chris', which, as chains are not really premier steakhouses in the same vein as a Gibson's or BOA or even a Lonesome Dove. The quality of the meat is very high. The line cooks do a great job and would be assets in any high end restaurant.

Premier might have been the wrong word. I too would certainly put a lot of places above those two establishments. Gibsons was one of my favorites when I lived in Chicago (perhaps one of the most arrogant restaurants in the country however. Nowhere have I ever felt like the restaurant was doing me a favor by honoring a reservation and serving me like I always did at Gibsons! LOL!).

Also, I have to confess, I bounce between boards a lot, and when I read the question, I was thinking more of Chops and the RC steak than the prime steaks at the supper clubs on Carnival. Carnival is outstanding.

I'm sailing on the Dream next week and wondering if I should book the Steakhouse. In your opinion, is it worth spending the extra $30 when you could save the money and eat in the MDR?

Depends if you like to eat at the Outback, or would like to eat at Mortons or Ruth's Chris, in a slightly upscale environment.

Its a very nice dinner at a nice restaurant. You spend 30 dollars for something that on land would probably be closer to 90 dollars. Its all up to you, if you enjoy higher end steakhouses you would probably enjoy this as well. If you just looking for a nice relaxed meal, maybe just go to the MDR. We always go to the steakhouse at least once per cruise and have always been happy with the service, food, and value.

Being what you said and how my wife feels ....i have come to the conclusion that men love to eat big good portions more than women. :D I. We men love to eat big steaks and huge lobstertails washed down with some good cold beers:D

Easy there, some of us Gals Love a big steak, Lobster and Cold Beers too!

Sweetie ordered the PorterHouse last time...OMG, *thats* a hunk of meat!!!

I sure hope so they are worth it!

I like Morton's, but not a huge fan of our experiences at Ruth's Chris. However, I have only been to the Ruth's Chris in Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, while the Mortons have been in Boca Raton and NY.

I have never been to anyplace like Peter Luger's, David Burke, Jesse & Jim's, etc.

Being what you said and how my wife feels ....i have come to the conclusion that men love to eat big good portions more than women. :D I have to admit im running 3.2 miles everyday and dieting so i can enjoy myself on the cruise. We men love to eat big steaks and huge lobstertails washed down with some good cold beers:D

There are plenty of women who love it too, Bruce ;). Never been one for pasta and wine. I need protein and malted grain.

Since food/service is subjective...heres another take on "is it worth it?"

Price comparison: (to Ruths Chris--for arugument sake)

http://www.sizzlingsteak.com/menus.html

SuperClub- $30pp total (additional tip at your disgration)

http://www.beyondships.com/CarnivalConquest-Menu-S.html

RuthsChris:

~~Shrimp Cocktail-$14

~~Ceaser Salad- $7

~~Steak- (here ya go)

You choose-

Filet--------$31/$35

NewYork----$38

PorterHouse-$80

LobsterTail-$ "market value"

~~Sides- $8 each

~~Desserts- $8/$12

~~IceTea/Soda-$3

---------------------------------

~~~Ok, so --any of the Steaks cost more than the whole meal at Supper Club. --AAMOF-- if you just add Appit,Salad, 2 Sides, Dessert and Tea, your already above SupperClub.

So, moneywise, if you like the experience and like the idea of a more 'upscale', 'different, meal then yes, worth it.,,

Sorry, someone had to do it.. :P

---> I know I have too much time on my hands today...I called into work.... ;)

Since food/service is subjective...heres another take on "is it worth it?"

Price comparison: (to Ruths Chris--for arugument sake)

http://www.sizzlingsteak.com/menus.html

SuperClub- $30pp total (additional tip at your disgration)

http://www.beyondships.com/CarnivalConquest-Menu-S.html

RuthsChris:

~~Shrimp Cocktail-$14

~~Ceaser Salad- $7

~~Steak- (here ya go)

You choose-

Filet--------$31/$35

NewYork----$38

PorterHouse-$80

LobsterTail-$ "market value"

~~Sides- $8 each

~~Desserts- $8/$12

~~IceTea/Soda-$3

---------------------------------

~~~Ok, so --any of the Steaks cost more than the whole meal at Supper Club. --AAMOF-- if you just add Appit,Salad, 2 Sides, Dessert and Tea, your already above SupperClub.

So, moneywise, if you like the experience and like the idea of a more 'upscale', 'different, meal then yes, worth it.,,

Sorry, someone had to do it.. :P

---> I know I have too much time on my hands today...I called into work.... ;)

Hey, Kandy.

And look! Ruths Chris has a dress code.:eek:

Archived