Is the Steakhouse worth it?

gslargent

We cruised 3 years ago on the Miracle and did the steakhouse one of the nights and loved it.We are actually going on the Miracle again in 3 weeks and have made our reservations for the steakhouse already. I say Go For It!!! You are on vacation!!! Enjoy every minute. :)

Absolutely worth it. Friends recommended and I thought the first time I went, why pay additional money to eat when I already paid for a meal, but it was fantastic and the kids all had a great time. We were on a family cruise for nephew and my family & my sisters families along with spouses had a great time. Kids tried things that they normally would not order when going out to eat in case they didn't like. Our kids were all 18 and over. Just couldn't imagine the food would be that much better than in the dining room, but it was.

I'd classify the Great Arts Steakhouse as being on par with Morton's and Ruth Chris', which, as chains are not really premier steakhouses in the same vein as a Gibson's or BOA or even a Lonesome Dove. The quality of the meat is very high. The line cooks do a great job and would be assets in any high end restaurant.

I don't cruise expecting chefs and cooks who have had tutelage under Tom Colicchio or Eric Ripert, but I do enjoy quality service and that's what G.A.S. has brought to us every time we've eaten there.

So is it worth it? Yes! Yes! And do book your reservations before you board the ship so you can pick your evenings and times. Otherwise you'll get 5:30P or 9P.

I have and I'm sure a lot of other people have had steaks at the "premier steakhouses" that are on par or worst than steaks that you get at Morton's or Ruth's. Matter of fact the best steak I've ever had in my 51 years has been from Ruth's. And it was much better than the 4 week dry aged steak I had from a "premier" steak house. Just because it's a steak from a celebrity steak house doesn't mean it's automatically a better steak.

3 hours?? Wow! Our experience was only a little over 1 1/2 hours. I don't think I would do it either if it took 3 hours. I'm glad ours was much less than that!

It is more like European dining which in restaurants in Europe (not tourist places), three hours for a dinner is the norm. Eating is an artform in Europe and often they a frustrated by the fast service of American restaurants when they try to eat here. Even the MDR meal is rushed by European standards. They also eat dinner much later (starting as late as 8-9pm in Spain, Italy and France.)

Despite a lot of responses here, I know for one, I found very few answers to "Is it worth it."

But maybe I'm misunderstanding the original poster's question and putting my own spin on it. If I was asking it, my question wouldn't be if it was as good as land-based restaurants, or if it's a good deal compared to land-based food. I'd be asking it as a question of, is it worth $30/person over what they offer in the dining room. Some people talked about ambience, which could come into play.

Now, I love food...no, I love quality food. However, you can find quality at some fast food places as much as you can at $100/plate restaurants. I also don't equate food price with food quality as some do, because that's not something that I buy into. Some people do, and they think that just because it's a steak at a fancy restaurant with fancy tables, etc, that it has to be good, and I'm sure they think it is.

So, to me, the question of if it's worth it is, is it worth $30/person above and beyond the MDR, and not comparing it to land-based restaurants. The only thing it should be compared to is the MDR for an accurate measure. But that's just me.

Ok...so after this long drawn out response....what is your answer to the question? :)

I don't think so, and here's why.

I find the food in the MDR more than meets my needs, wants or desires regarding food.

I grew up in Portland, Oregon, and one of the finest steakhouses around is Sayler's Old Country Kitchen. This is not a chain and it has been serving up excellent steak dinners for more than 70 years.

I had my first steak there when I was about 10 years old, and most recently a few months ago. It was and is great!

A sampling of the menu shows that you can get a 12 oz Ribeye, a 12 oz New York, or a 12 oz Filet Mignon for $23.95. That comes with a relish tray, soup or salad, choice of potato or rice, bread, and ice cream or sherbet. It is enough food, that though hungry, I left having been unable to eat more than 1/3 of my perfectly cooked, med-rare, 12 oz Ribeye. The leftover portion made a delicious steak sandwich the next day. If you're really hungry, the 24 oz Porterhouse, Ribeye or Filet Mignon each goes for $29.95.

The atmosphere would best be described as: Without pretense.

I don't know the places where you have to spend $75, not including alcohol, for an excellent steak dinner, and I've eaten in a few when paid by other people, but I have never had better food that Sayler's Old Country Kitchen, and I've never spent $30 per person, including gratuity.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I find the food in the MDR more than meets my needs, wants or desires regarding food.

I grew up in Portland, Oregon, and one of the finest steakhouses around is Sayler's Old Country Kitchen. This is not a chain and it has been serving up excellent steak dinners for more than 70 years.

I had my first steak there when I was about 10 years old, and most recently a few months ago. It was and is great!

A sampling of the menu shows that you can get a 12 oz Ribeye, a 12 oz New York, or a 12 oz Filet Mignon for $23.95. That comes with a relish tray, soup or salad, choice of potato or rice, bread, and ice cream or sherbet. It is enough food, that though hungry, I left having been unable to eat more than 1/3 of my perfectly cooked, med-rare, 12 oz Ribeye. The leftover portion made a delicious steak sandwich the next day. If you're really hungry, the 24 oz Porterhouse, Ribeye or Filet Mignon each goes for $29.95.

I don't know the places where you have to spend $75, not including alcohol, for an excellent steak dinner, and I'm eaten in a few when paid by other people, but I have never had better food that Sayler's Old Country Kitchen, and I've never spent $30 per person, including gratuity.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

You haven't tried the STEAKHOUSE on a Carnival ship? How would you know if it's worth it?

You haven't tried the STEAKHOUSE on a Carnival ship? How would you know if it's worth it?

It's time you got a different question. If you're not going to bother to read a very reasoned explanation of why it isn't worth it to me, then you're only interested in arguing. I opined with considered words and points why, to me, it would not be worth it. I also opened with "I don't think so."

Pay attention, and get off your tyrannical, high horse for a moment. You don't have to rule every thread, and your opinion is no more valid, just because you feel the need to post every minute of every day, than anybody elses.

You are mean spirited and each time you feel the need to call me out, you display your insensitivity to honest expression.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob

Hey, I've been there! I was there with my father before he passed about 8 years ago (he grew up in Portland). I think the CCL steak house is overall better, like the sides. The country kitchen is a fine steak house and if I make it up to Portland next month, I'll stop there. I prefer McClintocks in Pismo beach to it, but again, nothing wrong with the country kitchen. I am trying to remember what the place looked like, think it had that texan steak house look.Last time I ate at a CCL steak house (last june) they gave us a sample of something called mushroom capuccino which tasted like the best mushroom soup that I had ever had.The little things at the CCL steak house (sauteed mushrooms, mushroom gravy, wasaabi yukon gold mashed potatoes and french onion soup) raise them above most good steak houses.

For us, definitely worth it. Especially when I consider that the most expensive steak house meal I've ever had was over $100pp at craftsteak Las Vegas.

We have two teens and the chance to enjoy a fine dining experience (and learn what all that silverware is for!) is a bargain at $30pp. They really looked forward to dressing up a little for the meal, and for the opportunity to try new foods without the risk of costing Mom and Dad a lot of money.

Taking them to a regular high-end restaurant for apps, main course and dessert would cost us well over $200.

Went to the Steakhouse on the Glory last October. It was my birthday. Normally we go to Fleming's here in Tampa so I told my Mom (who usually takes me out for my birthday and who I was on the cruise with) that she got off cheap. The service was excellent the food was phenomenal.

We enjoyed our meal. But if you're not into a more upscale dining experience and your version (and I'm not trying to be rude or condescending to the OP by saying this) of upscale dining is a night at Outback, this may not be for you. The steakhouse on the glory was very dark. I could see the food was beautifully prepared and presented, but I could barely see anything else. Other than that I would most definitely go back.

The time between each course allows you to digest your food better (IMO).

It's a very nice experience.

It's time you got a different question. If you're not going to bother to read a very reasoned explanation of why it isn't worth it to me, then you're only interested in arguing. I opined with considered words and points why, to me, it would not be worth it. I also opened with "I don't think so."

Pay attention, and get off your tyrannical, high horse for a moment. You don't have to rule every thread, and your opinion is no more valid, just because you feel the need to post every minute of every day, than anybody elses.

You are mean spirited and each time you feel the need to call me out, you display your insensitivity to honest expression.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

You`ve chosen to post on a thread called "Is the steakhouse worth it"? yet have never eaten there.

Again, I will state one should try something before commenting on it. Kinda like those people comparing RCCL to Carnival, and find out they haven`t sailed one of them.

Just ate at David's Steakhouse on the PRIDE. it was awesome and well worth the $30! The food was a notch or two above the dining room downstairs and the service was excellent!

Not mention ya gotta love the dude "standing guard" at the front/entrance to David's on the Pride!!

You`ve chosen to post on a thread called "Is the steakhouse worth it"? yet have never eaten there.

Again, I will state one should try something before commenting on it. Kinda like those people comparing RCCL to Carnival, and find out they haven`t sailed one of them.

I'll never understand why this is so important to you. I expressed why I don't think it's worth it: Such as the fact that I'm perfectly satisfied by the dining experience in the MDR. I told about a great steakhouse, which I enjoy, but which doesn't cost me $30 more than the meal I've already paid for. Since when did you become the Post Police. Isn't bad enough that we have to deal with Bacon Police and Power Strip Police, but on Cruise Critic we have to deal with MrPete Post Police.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. I never had to try Pot or Alcohol or tobacco to decide I didn't like it, or to say it isn't worth it, at any price, to me, so what makes you think I have to try the steakhouse in order to determine whether it is worth it to me.

I'll never understand why this is so important to you. I expressed why I don't think it's worth it: Such as the fact that I'm perfectly satisfied by the dining experience in the MDR. I told about a great steakhouse, which I enjoy, but which doesn't cost me $30 more than the meal I've already paid for. Since when did you become the Post Police. Isn't bad enough that we have to deal with Bacon Police and Power Strip Police, but on Cruise Critic we have to deal with MrPete Post Police.

P.S. I never had to try Pot or Alcohol or tobacco to decide I didn't like it, or to say it isn't worth it at any price, to me, so what makes you think I have to try the steakhouse in order to determine whether it is worth it to me.

You forgot the Smoking Police, Chair Hog Police, MDR Dress Code Police and last but not least, Tipping Police.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. I never had to try Pot or Alcohol or tobacco to decide I didn't like it, or to say it isn't worth it, at any price, to me, so what makes you think I have to try the steakhouse in order to determine whether it is worth it to me.

at no point did you indicate in your post that you have NEVER even eaten in the steakhouse.

Kinda like someone asking if a suite is worth it. Someone posts NO, because they`ve stayed at the Waldorf.

I added that fact, not an opinion.

We ate at Chef Arts Steakhouse twice on the dream and loved it!! It is definately worth the extra $$. The beef is aged prime which ensures the meat has a wonderful flavor. I have eaten at Morton's, flemings, Ruth's Chris etc. The beef was better than Flemings in my humble opinion. The lobster was a 10 oz, size (was told by the waitress that it used to be 12 oz., but they changed because they couldn't get the larger size anymore:rolleyes:). It was excellent and filling for me. Between my DH and me we tried the beef carpaccio, french onion soup, excargot, ahi tuna tartar, Lobster, filet, lobster and filet combo, and the prime rib chop and all was outstanding. If you still have room for the dessert, the chocolate sampler was very good, but a large serving as they have I think 5 different large shot glasses with mini desserts in them all containing some form of chcoclate. My DH and I shared that the second time we dined there as we were stuffed and could barely finish it between the two of us.:D

Archived