sunscreen

ldw81

I always use Banana Boat sport. However, most sunscreens in the U.S. are not environmentally safe, the chemicals can and do destroy the reefs. Many tour companies (snorkeling, scuba, even some beaches) do not allow them any longer. While BB Sport will be fine for home use, I plan on trying something different on my next cruise.

Since we're on the subject, I hate those sprays. I am sure you have noticed how close all the chairs are on deck. There has been numerous incidences where people just get a little carried away with the spray. It is usually windly out there and the spray just goes everywhere, on me, my drink, my food, my book, and my skin. I don't even have to invest my own dollars in any, since I am always getting sprayed with other peoples. Please be a little considerate when you are waving and spraying that can around.

ok, off my soap box.

Cindy

I like Aveeno sunscreen, I use the spray and it's not sticky or slick feeling. I also use their one for faces, absorbs almost like a normal lotion and doesn't make your face as shiny and oily looking as a lot of other sunscreens.

Bullfrog is the best. I went to Hawaii and used Bull frog sunscreen, I never burned. It isn't greasy at all...I hate the feeling of sunscreen, but Bullfrog is the best.

I loved Bullfrog from years ago-- but sad to say I can no longer find it

Since we're on the subject, I hate those sprays. I am sure you have noticed how close all the chairs are on deck. There has been numerous incidences where people just get a little carried away with the spray. It is usually windly out there and the spray just goes everywhere, on me, my drink, my food, my book, and my skin. I don't even have to invest my own dollars in any, since I am always getting sprayed with other peoples. Please be a little considerate when you are waving and spraying that can around.

ok, off my soap box.

Cindy

Good point. As much as I love the sprays for their ease of use, they can be very annoying. A little consideration for those around you can go a long way. And not just with your sunscreen spray.

I like the Bullfrog sunscreens, both the pump-spritz version and the actual clear gel, for when I'm going swimming or laying out in the sun.

The Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Liquid Sunblock is very good, too, and dries to a powder-like feel (only available in SPF 55 and 70, though). That's the one I use for work, since I have to be out in very strong sun for long periods, and I don't want to look like an oil slick or smell strongly of sunscreen.

I strongly recommend gel sunscreens if you are looking for ones that aren't oily. They tend to have less of a "sunscreen" smell, too.

I always use Banana Boat sport. However, most sunscreens in the U.S. are not environmentally safe, the chemicals can and do destroy the reefs. Many tour companies (snorkeling, scuba, even some beaches) do not allow them any longer. While BB Sport will be fine for home use, I plan on trying something different on my next cruise.

To keep the coral+ safe, try No-Ad from Walmart!

Most of the "sport" sunscreens labeled non oily, non running, extremely waterproof are comfortable to wear. Coppertone in the blue tubes or the banana boat (orange?) are great.

I like the sprays as a quick thing, but they really don't have the staying power as the lotions that you rub in, plus they can be offensive in the wind.

We have a pool so we are in the water a LOT...we apply in the morning when getting the teeth brushed, etc so it soaks in, and then reapply later on when we dry off.

There was a recent study done on sunscreens and many of the "popular" brands have misleading SPF and contain chemicals that may be harmful on your skin. Search 2010 Sunscreen Guide to find the best sunscreens. (Environmental Working Group) You will be surprised on what brands you should be avoiding.

Is there a sunscreen out there that doesn't leave one feeling all sticky and greasy?

Here's a whole other thread on sunscreens and sunburn - check out the links and you will find the database that rates most of the sunscreens - you will be surprised that most of the popular and recommended ones don't pass muster! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226597

have you been snorkeling in a group and watched the water get an oil sheen from everyone's sunscreen? probably not good for the fish or coral to have mini horizon oil spills like that, they do add up....be kind to your skin as well as the environment by using an oil free product as some have already suggested.

I am very pale and can burn in about 10 minutes outside so I have lots of experience with sunblocks! My water aerobics class is outside this time of year and so far have found that Neutrogena Sport Face in 70 keeps most of the sun off my face although I am still getting brown spots but at least not burning. Have been using the Coppertone Sport in the water but the smell is strong. I prefer Neutrogena stuff if I am not in the pool since it has less of the typical suncreen smell to it.

The sad part is, with 70 applied 30 minutes before I get in the pool, I can still see where I'm getting some sun after a 1 hour class. My DH has had a skin cancer scare so I really don't like that I'm seeing freckles and brown spots pop up even with all the sunblock!

When we were in Cozumel, we were required to use reef-safe sunblock. The only mass-market one they allowed was Coppertone Oil-Free or ones that specifically said biodegradeable on them. The Coppertone Oil Free has a nice feel to it but I can only find it in 30 and have burned badly any time I've used it - even with careful re-applications every hour or two and after swimming.:(

I am not a fan of the sprays. Too easy to miss spots and I've had a faceful of the stuff from other people way too many times. It's really a problem for those of us who wear contact lenses to get a bunch of that mist in our faces. I also don't like inhaling it and it always seems to travel since it's such a fine mist.

Archived