Secret upgrade to 8C Balony on Destiny

DH & I cruised for the first time with 7 other couples on a 7 day Western Caribbean on Triumph (4D) in May 2008 and then I took a 5 day Western Caribbean on Inspiration (4A) in January 2009 with 5 girlfriends.

I found a deal that DH couldn't refuse so we are taking our first family cruise in December 2010. 5 day Eastern Caribbean on Destiny. Originally booked using Past Guest rate and got upgraded from 4A to 4C. Our girls, ages 10 and 5 (she will be 6 by the time of our cruise) are really excited. Both are early risers so I don't foresee any issues with getting up and out early to explore the ship/ports. But, since they are up so early, naturally they go to bed early. (If they stay up too late, I pay for it the next day by way of melt down city ;) )

So, got to thinking.....can't really leave them sleeping in the cabin after going to bed. What will we do? I can always go to bed early, but DH is a nite owl for sure! Decided I would check on the price to upgrade to a balcony cabin and got what seemed to be a good deal to me. So, we are now in an 8C balcony (7266) on Destiny. Thinking after the girls go to bed, DH and I could spend some alone time on the balcony and enjoy the rest of the evening.

Not very good at keeping surprises like this, but I'm going to try. I think DD's and DH will really enjoy the balcony. AND.....hoping this will spoil DH so that he will only want balconies in the future. ;)

Now, just need to sit back and WAIT and live vicariously though others cruising before me and read their reviews. :D

Such a great surprise! Twice I have had an inside room - the first time to see if it really mattered since I kept hearing "you don't spend much time in the room anyway; not worth the extra money" and the second time due to financial reasons and if it came to cruise "inside" or "no cruise" that year, I would chose inside. I do love having a balcony though and I'm sure you and yours will too. The regular balcony rooms actually have the same square footage, but to me feel larger. I also like having a couch and table to enjoy room service (rather than sitting on the bed) or out on the balcony. Bon Voyage and have a fantastic cruise :D.

In 8 weeks I'm surprising my DH with our first balcony!! It's so hard to keep a secret like this! I'll let you all know how the surprise goes!

Can anyone tell me if the balcony doors on the Valor are swing type doors or sliding doors? Also, does the AC go off if the door is left open and if so is there a way to get around that? Everyone says bring a bungee cord to keep the door open...how do you do that? Any pictures?

Hope I didn't hijack the thread with questions..but if I post otherwise DH may find out about the surprise!

Have a happy and SAFE July 4th!!!

I'm horrible at keeping secrets, but I'm trying too! My son and I booked an interior cabin near the very front on Conquest. I spotted an L shaped room near the rear of the ship that has two windows...no balcony. I really think he'll enjoy the windows. Plus he's closer to the pizza station :).

Over 100 days to keep the secrect, but I'm trying....

LOL!!!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is "challenged" when it comes to keeping secrets!!! :D I'm going to try my best and hope everyone else is able to as well. I would LOVE a surprise like this so I think the family will love it as well. Glad someone asked about keeping the door open with bungees or not. I had thought about that as well. Any ideas???

What an awesome surprise!!! Have fun! :D

Cru1z1n - We just got off the Valor a week ago. The balcony had a swing door, and it did mess with the AC if we left it open for long. It was wonderful, though - enjoy! ;)

I did the same thing, except I couldn't keep it a secret. I have a big mouth! I told my husband because he was against getting a balcony because he's cheap (lol) and he was afraid of the kids going overboard somehow, which I know isn't going to happen. So now we went from an OV to an 8D. It's our first balcony and even though we usually don't spend a lot of time in our rooms when we travel, I know we're going to enjoy it.

I can't stand it... I have to suggest that you edit your post and take out your cabin number. You have two small girls and now any wacko can see what ship, date, and cabin # you are in. I know the chances of anyone using that info is extremely rare, but this is a crazy world we live in. :o

You'll love the balcony by the way.

I can't stand it... I have to suggest that you edit your post and take out your cabin number. You have two small girls and now any wacko can see what ship, date, and cabin # you are in. I know the chances of anyone using that info is extremely rare, but this is a crazy world we live in. :o

You'll love the balcony by the way.

OMG...... i never even thought of that!!! Thank you for the suggestion!!!!!

Sorry, I haven't been on here in a few days. I don't know why the Edit button would be missing (unless it has something to do with it being the first post).

After a quick search on the Help section, here's what I found. You would qualify for this I would think...

Can You Remove My Post?

We will only be able to remove your post if it contains personal information (real last name, home address, or phone number). Please include a LINK (web address) to the posting (preferable) or provide as much identifying information as possible, such as your Cruise Critic user name, the subject line of the post in question and the forum in which you posted and send to: boards@cruisecritic.com

That was a direct quote from the Forum "Need Help Using These Boards? Ask here." I wish I could just PM you instead of bringing this back up to the top page, but I don't think we have that capability.

Thanks Cruzza! But as it turns out...I couldn't stop looking to see if my cruise price went down & noticed that for only $40 more total we could move into a balcony cabin on the Lido deck. Called Carnival and moved us into an 8D balcony on Lido after all.

And......as it turns out, I didn't last very long in keeping the big secret.

I broke and told hubby the other day. I was a little worried about how he'd react, but he thought it was a good idea. NOW...let's all hope he LOVES the balcony and the close proximity of everything on the Lido deck and he'll insist on balconies on every cruise in the future!!!! :D

My sister's and I booked an inside cabin on the Liberty. We are all in our 50s and this was the first time we were going to travel together. I was really worried that one of us would be tossed overboard before we got back. Can you say "family history"???

About 2 weeks out I got an upsell call! They offered me a balcony for 300 or a Cat. 12 for 500. I asked if they could split the difference and they DID!!! (I always ask, they can always say "no".) So for about 150.00 extra we got a Cat. 12. It was worth every penny.

Now the secret part. I told my sisters that we got a balcony but didn't tell them we got the suite! It saved our trip!!!! I really can't imagine how we would have done in that little inside cabin!

Archived