bringing wine onboard

cweed

We always bring 2 bottles on the ship with no problem. In the past we have been able to bring a couple bottles from each port and it kind of became a tradition with us to get a local wine. Now it seems they have stopped that so we didnt bring any on from ports this last cruise. :(

You are allowed two bottles of wine per cabin at the port of embarkation Only (no size limit). Any alcohol purchased enroute may be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. If you do the math you will find that you're further ahead, even with the corkage fee, over buying from the wine list. The sommelier will store and retrieve your bottle until you finish it for the one charge. There's No corkage fee if you consume all of it in your stateroom.

In the UK on the Eclipse, you could take 2 bottles per cabin. During the cruise, they still allowed you to bring the odd bottle back on board. There didn't seem to be the alchohol 'police' there waiting, like on royal carribbean!

I'm new on the forum today. Thought I'd give this site a try. More US based I think, I live in the Mildands in the UK.

There are a few of us Brits around too ;) - you will find this site to be the best IMHO of all those out there - with thousands of people on hand to answer your questions, ususally within a few minutes!

And yes, it is 2 bottles of wine/champagne per stateroom at the port of departure only.

Does anyone know what the corkage fee is these days. If I brought a 1.5 liter bottle to the dining room, would they charge me a double corkage fee. We will try some of their wines at dinner but would like our favorite one or two nights.

From the Celebrity website

Does Celebrity charge a corkage fee?

Subject: Food and Beverage

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. If a guest receives a bottle of wine (in their stateroom) from a family member of friend, and that bottle(s) was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift selection, then no corkage fee will apply if they wish to consume the bottle in the dining room or any public area. If a guest receives a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage selection, then a $25.00 corkage fee per bottle will apply if they wish to consume the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account. Alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

Here's a different question: we are traveling to Barcelona (from Florida) for a 7-day in October. It's our 15th anniversary and for it, I have an extremely special bottle of wine, valued at over $500. Any ideas how I get it through the flight? Once I get it to Barcelona, I'll be ok, but with all of the restrictions nowadays about what you can and cannot take on board a plane, I'm just not seeing how I can take it, and packing it seems all but out of the question. HELP!

Here's a different question: we are traveling to Barcelona (from Florida) for a 7-day in October. It's our 15th anniversary and for it, I have an extremely special bottle of wine, valued at over $500. Any ideas how I get it through the flight? Once I get it to Barcelona, I'll be ok, but with all of the restrictions nowadays about what you can and cannot take on board a plane, I'm just not seeing how I can take it, and packing it seems all but out of the question. HELP!

Get a styrofoam wine shipper and pack it with your luggage. It should be just fine.

http://www.lawineco.com/styrofoam-one-bottle-flat-laydown-shipper-with-box-wine_accessory-6916.html?currency=USD

Here's another link. I usually take the 12 pack styrofoam and ship it as a piece of luggage on the airline.

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Business/ListingC2055a42-1.html

You should be able to pick them up at a wine shop or UPS store.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Not just possible breakage, but the general mishandling of it...if the bottle has been sitting for a while you will stir up any sediment, for example. Wait until you get to Barcelona and buy something good there.

Archived