Ruins in progreso?

We did Chitzen Itza <sp> and LOVED IT!!! It was a long bus ride... and not lots of time at the ruins and you can't climb them... but WOW!!! they are impressive and I'll go back again... DD wants to see them again, too!!!

Those are the only ones we've seen. Sorry I can't comment on others.

We also went in winter month (Feb) and it was HOT!!! Don't know what summer would be like...

A while back, I spent Spring Break in Merida with kids from the Math & Science Club. We took the bus one day to Progreso & went to the beach. The next day we went to Uxmal, which has the huge Pyramid of the Magician, a ball court, & other ruins, and also stopped at a hacienda (Yaxcopoil?). We also took in Chichen Itza, but it was a day trip from Merida, & we didn't get back until night fall. (We took the bus, which at the time, stopped at Chichen Itza). Chichen Itza is much larger, more well-known, more crowded, but has a few more ruins to see, such as the Observatory (the only round building built by the Mayas), El Castillo, & the famous cenote. Since we were on our own schedule, we spent several hours there.

Which tour you want to take depends on how much time you want to spend riding in a bus & how much time you want to spend running around Mayan ruins, climbing them, etc. If Chichen Itza is on your bucket list, however, by all means, don't pass it up, but if you're not married to that, Uxmal is fine.

We really thought Uxmal was terrific. It was hot in December, though, so I don't know if I would go back or go back in a warmer month. But we definitely didn't regret the decision.

Chichen Itza will also be hot & dry. We were there in March & it was a battle keeping everyone hydrated at both Uxmal & Chichen Itza.

We have done Dzibilchaltun twice (pronounced "Bil-ja-tune"). They are about an hour from Progreso (we did it thru Carnival, but AutoProgreso also offers it) they are 'smaller ruins' but are the oldest. It was a very managable tour for us... the ride was interesting, the guide gives a history talk. The ruins were not so big , so I felt like I saw enough, you can climb to the top of the ruins and swim in the cenote.

Some of the tours your bus ride is longer then the time at the ruins. (something to consider) I personally did not want to ride 2/3 hours to spend 1.5 hours at the site. Depends on what you are going for.

Bring Water, Bring Sunblock, Bring a wet cloth or scarf.

CIMG0098.jpg.588390ee77c463e923c675460cea1caf.jpg

CIMG0118.jpg.93100c24dda76cbce00a52678464c2a8.jpg

CIMG0112.jpg.b60f2acc5def0baeee0f701fc6a4a90e.jpg

CIMG0083.jpg.312f4ddfd4cf116c878b0bf8ae6ea5d3.jpg

We also did Dzibilchaltun and loved it....shortest ride to any of them. Caution!!!! Can get very hot.....bring water and bathing suit so you can swim in the cenotes. Very cool things to see...lots of structures and cenote is very refreshing...low end has lots of little rocks that hurt your feet and deepend is straight up and down sides so you have to be fairly strong to pull yourself back out of the water. You will love these ruins. House of 7 Dolls is really neat!

flynsport. How many times in your life will you have the opportunity to visit a city from the 5th, 6th and 7th century? The Mayans were a very advanced race.

Uxmal is my favored over Chichen Itza. To me, more impressive, prettier and WAY less crowded. Also much shorter bus ride from Progreso.

do any of them allow you to climb the structures?

When we were there independently in 2004, we were allowed to climb all the pyramids at all the main Maya sites in Central America. There was already talk of limiting this however, since the enourmously increased number of visitors in recent years were damaging the structures. The steps on most of the pyramids are quite steep and there are no handrails or anything, although I saw a rope on one. You have to be very fit and not afraid of heights.

Uxmal is my favored over Chichen Itza. To me, more impressive, prettier and WAY less crowded. Also much shorter bus ride from Progreso.

It was ours too. Chichen Itza attracts lots of tourists who come from the large resorts in Cancun. When we were in Uxmal, it was empty.

For the adventurous among you, not sure if it is doable for cruise passengers, depends on your time in port: The local bus company has this great semi-DIY tour from Merida, that leaves the Merida bus station in the morning at something like 8 or 9 am (do check, it's been a while). It drives the "Ruta Puuc" (a certain style of Maya ruins) like an ordinary local bus, but it waits at every site (Uxmal, Kabah, Labna, Sayil, and Xlapak) till everybody is ready, and then drives to the next. It only costs a few dollar (I believe it was about $10, excluding entrance fee for Uxmal), but there is no guide. Good guidebooks offer ample explanations though. The bus comes back to Merida in the afternoon at about 4 pm.

The local bus company ADO is very good anyway if you want to save money or just hate excursions. For example, there is a direct bus from Merida to Chichen Itza in the morning (9:15 am? I believe) that comes back in the afternoon around 3 pm.

Do not rule out the pretty historical town of Merida for a visit either! We loved it, stayed several days and witnessed the local carnaval....

Don't bother with Xcambo (not sure I'm spelling that correctly). We went there last week...definitely not worth the drive, especially if you've seen Tulum or some of the more impressive ruins. And some of these ruins were reinforced with rebar, so not sure how authentic the entire site is. It is a small site and you can see it quickly. To get there you drive by a large marsh area filled with pink flamingos and that was kind of interesting.

We have done Dzibilchaltun (smaller in comparison, but historically quite interesting), Uxmal (incredibly architecture, and they still let you climb on one of the two pyramids), Tulum (not as large as Uxmal, but an incredible view and fortress), and Chicken Pizza.

Of the bunch, I'd recommend Uxmal simply for its size, and the fact that everyone else will be at Chicken Pizza. I don't like crowds. :)

Hands down Uxmal over Chicken Pizza. Less drive time and crowds plus plenty of time to explore on your own. Although the climb is not as high as the now off-limits temple it is still worth it. Ornate detailed carvings and structures which you are free to walk around. The key factor is hardly any crowds but you will always need to bring water, sunscreen and a hat. AutoProgreso for $49 can't be beat. We will be going back again in November.

Hands down Uxmal over Chicken Pizza. Less drive time and crowds plus plenty of time to explore on your own. Although the climb is not as high as the now off-limits temple it is still worth it. Ornate detailed carvings and structures which you are free to walk around. The key factor is hardly any crowds but you will always need to bring water, sunscreen and a hat. AutoProgreso for $49 can't be beat. We will be going back again in November.

So you can still climb something at Uxmal, and if so, what is it? We will be there in Nov. DD has seen photos of Chichen Itza and I think that is her first choice just because she's seen so many photos of it. She really wants to climb something so if you can still climb at Uxmal I think that would be the better choice.

• 2 months later...

Here are some pictures from a recent Chichen Itza visit - your really can't climb anything there anymore. It is a larger site, can get crowded, and lots of vendors. Earlier in the day, it isn't so crowded.

Sept 8, 2010 - Progreso - 7am - 4pm

Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4

You can climb some stuff at Uxmal - last time I was there there were restoring one of the more popular climbs, but may be finished with that by now.

Pictures from a couple of Uxmal visits:

Progreso Feb 09 Uxmal

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

Archived