State room advice & little known quite areas on volendam

woodley

We are planning on booking a cruise to New Zealand on the Volendam. It is our first cruise with Hal and I need some advice regarding stateroom location.

We are thinking of booking a outside stateroom and would want a large window. We would not want any public area above us (after being below the pool deck on one cruise the noise of chairs being dragged across the floor will be forever etched on my brain).

We do not have to be center of ship or near any particular area, we just want a stateroom in a quite location with a good view.

Also does anyone know of any quiet comfortable areas of the ship for reading and relaxing.

Thanks for you help!

We are planning on booking a cruise to New Zealand on the Volendam. It is our first cruise with Hal and I need some advice regarding stateroom location.

We are thinking of booking a outside stateroom and would want a large window. We would not want any public area above us (after being below the pool deck on one cruise the noise of chairs being dragged across the floor will be forever etched on my brain).

We do not have to be center of ship or near any particular area, we just want a stateroom in a quite location with a good view.

Also does anyone know of any quiet comfortable areas of the ship for reading and relaxing.

Thanks for you help!

I maintain a site HAL Stateroom/Cabins that show not only the deck plans for side by side comparisons, but also has photos and descriptions from fellow CC members. It also has a Public/Miscellaneous Section (soon to be a separate page) that shows and describes the various Public Areas of the ship. Here is the link for the Volendam http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Volendam/index.html

Hope this helps

Joanie

Thanks for you help!

Love the Volendam and have sailed on her often. The oceanview windows are not really very large. certainly larger than a porthole, but because of the placement of the bed it's not conducive to relaxing and watching the world go by. There are so many great places to enjoy the changing views. If the weather cooperates, the sun deck above the Crows Nest is great. I love the aft pool and if the sea is a little rough it sounds like the surf kissing the shore. There are lots of nooks and crannies around the ship for a quiet get away. During the day, the Crows Nest, Ocean Bar and Explorers lounge attract folks who enjoy reading there.

You will love New Zealand. It is a beautiful country and the folks at the ports are really welcoming and are genuinely happy your there . It is a very port intensive itinerary so be sure to plug in some down time to relax. I was really exhausted by the time we left Napier.

Happy cruising,

Carole

Your best bet is to take a look at outside cabins on Main Deck, (I would prefer between the forward and mid-ship elevator). Or, look at those on Dolphin Deck.

Any outside cabins on Navigation and Veranda Decks are either above, or below, a public deck that offers the possibility of a lot of noise. Perhaps if there are outside cabins on Veranda Deck, aft, they wouldn't be too noisy. (I don't know if there even are outsides on these two decks. :confused:)

The outsides on Lower Promenade are smaller than the other outsides, as well as looking across the deck before you see the sea. There's also people walking by, or sitting, right outside your window.

The outsides on Main Deck are under the Lower Promenade, so there might be some noise from heavy-footed walkers, or deck cleaners.

Archived