Are you a vegan or non-vegan?

TravelSmarty

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a vegetarian, but I tend to avoid milk/eggs/fish except on rare occasions.

Wow- you've raised a 'sore' (not really sore! :p) point with me-

Vegetarians do NOT eat fish!

I've been a vegetarian (with occasional spurts of veganism) for 30 years, and there have been too many times when I'm at a wedding or similar and, when I ask for the vegetarian entree, I'm brought fish.

If you avoid meat and fowl, but do eat fish, then you are a pescetarian.

While I pretty much don't have quibbles with whatever people prefer to eat (mmm.. I'm not sure how I feel about cannibals :eek:), vegetarians sometimes encounter difficulties when dining out because there are many people who include fish in their diets, but call themselves vegetarian.

Fortunately, as the public becomes more health and diet conscious and aware, these issues are decreasing in frequency. But, there are still times when a server at a banquet brings me a fish platter and insists that vegetarians eat fish!

We like to keep the confusion down by saying: "Vegetarians don't eat anything with a face." :p

(And vegans don't use any products at all that directly come from, or are derived from, any creature with a face. ;))

OK- I'm off my soapbox :D

I don't like fish or seafood at all except for the infrequent shrimp cocktail. Red meat I eat sparingly but I do eat chicken and turkey in a diet that is healthful. I'll work on eventually eliminating all meat without losing weight (5" 2", 105 lbs) and feeling tired which is what happened when I was totally meatless for about 8 months.

I really respect not eating animals!

I've been a vegetarian (with occasional spurts of veganism) for 30 years, and there have been too many times when I'm at a wedding or similar and, when I ask for the vegetarian entree, I'm brought fish.

While I pretty much don't have quibbles with whatever people prefer to eat (mmm.. I'm not sure how I feel about cannibals :eek:), vegetarians sometimes encounter difficulties when dining out because there are many people who include fish in their diets, but call themselves vegetarian.

Fortunately, as the public becomes more health and diet conscious and aware, these issues are decreasing in frequency. But, there are still times when a server at a banquet brings me a fish platter and insists that vegetarians eat fish!

We like to keep the confusion down by saying: "Vegetarians don't eat anything with a face." :p

(And vegans don't use any products at all that directly come from, or are derived from, any creature with a face. ;))

I hear ya! I can't count how many times I've said that I'm a vegetarian and someone replies "But you eat fish, right?" LOL! It doesn't happen that often anymore, but it was a very common response years ago.

To answer the original question - I'm 100% vegetarian and about 99% vegan. Occasionally I'll eat something with milk products or eggs in it (normally if I go out to eat somewhere that doesn't offer a fully vegan meal), but on a regular day-to-day basis I eat no animal products at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right!!

My daughter is a vegan. We were at a restaurant one night, and she ordered a Greek salad without feta cheese. I said, "She is a vegan, so we will have to send it back if it has cheese."

trying to be helpful, the waiter said, "Oh, you're a vegan...would you like shrimp or chicken on the salad, then?" Huh???

• 2 months later...
I've gone vegetarian and working towards veganism. My greatest fear is that I will be on board EOS soon without anything worthwhile to sink my teeth into. I may end up gnawing on the garnishes at the buffet's around the ship if all else fails!

Johnny Rockets has tasty veggie burgers.

Vegetarian here whole strives to eat vegan the majority of the time. I just returned from a 7 day on the FOS and had no problems with adhering to that! My waiter always went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of and even had special desserts for me each night!

I've been a vegetarian for my whole life (was raised that way!) and my fiance is also vegetarian. I try to mostly eat vegan as dairy tends to irritate my stomach at times, but I would consider myself a lacto-ovo vegetarian since I occasionally eat the odd bit of cheese or milk chocolate. :)

Archived