Travel Insurance-what to look for

Embre

I have done some limited checking for travel insurance, mainly through insuremytrip.com. To be honest I don't know what to look for regarding the plan coverage. Can anyone give me some advice?

My sister and I are sailing in January, our cruise and airfare is booked and paid in full. We are in our early 40's and good health so we aren't looking for anything specific health wise. My main concern is the fee's for the trip itself and changes to flight's (my last cruise United dropped the final leg of our flight home about a month before our trip, and i ended up having to make arrangements to stay in Miami an extra night). My mothers health isn't the best and my oldest daughter is due to have a baby when we are on this cruise, so I have some concern about the prospect of having to cancel due to family members medical emergencies (I don't think this is likely, but it's always possible).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

With the policies I have had through Travelguard, you would already be too late to get coverage for pre-existing conditions (your mom). You would have had to purchase this coverage within 15 days of the date you paid the inital deposit for this trip. I do not think even with this coverage, you could cancel your trip because of your daughter's pregnancy. You would have had to purchase Cancel For Any Reason coverage, and even then, you would get back only 50% of nonreimbursable funds paid if you cancelled at least 48 hours before the trip. This coverage also has to be purchased within 15 days of your intial deposit.

If you just want coverage for trip cancellation or delay or medical evacuation, you can still purchase this.

We have been satisfied with Travelguard, and have even turned in a couple of claims, with no problems. Suggest you pick out a few policies, then call the company directly with any questions.

I realiize you say that your health is good but you just never know. Things can happen unexpectedly so I recommend that you do look for sufficient health coverage including coverage should you need to be evacuated. While the odds are low, it does happen and can be very costly.

Keith

A few notes here:

1) Trip insurance would not have covered United dropping the last leg of your flight well before your trip. A schedule adjustment by the airline well ahead of your trip is simply not a covered reason.

2) You will be unable to obtain insurance for a cancellation due to your daughter's baby, and it's highly possible you aren't covered for your mother's poor health either. Why? Because if you buy insurance now, those are pre-existing conditions. It's possible to avoid exclusions for those, but the time to get a waiver is long-past. (You can get a policy with a pre-ex waiver either at initial deposit or final payment, depending on policy.) You will also be unable to purchase a policy with a Cancel For Any Reason Rider.

I've always used TravelGuard in the past and been happy (and filed multiple claims without a problem), and other members here have used other companies; most of the large providers are pretty good.

SirWired

Did you pay off early or was final payment due already which seems odd? CSAtravelpro.com may be able to help you - I'm not positive - but check there to see if they cover pre-existing prior to making final payment because if final isn't due then you should be ok (I think). Insurance expert Ken may happen by to answer this.

Archived