Nobody liked the pants I had picked out for formal, night, is this skirt better?

LastofSeptember

I posted a couple days ago for opinions, and the overall consensus is the top is nice but the pants were blah, so I found this skirt on my lunch hour, will this be more acceptable?

This top (same as before)

http://*****.com/3tuov

This skirt

http://*****.com/3vokv

I know there is a fashion board, but I get more responses here, hope I'm not bothering anyone too much!

It'll past muster, but be aware you'll be "competing" with things like this:

http://www.dariuscordell.com/plus.htm

I've only been on 3 Carnival cruises so this may not be accurate...but I didn't see many dresses like that, although if the ship was full of people dressed like that I'd be thrilled to death!! I think you'll find the majority dress somewhere in between the ones in that link and the ones that the OP posted photos of.

Just got back from the Sensation, wore the same dress I wore on the Celebration in 1998. Skipped formal night on the Holiday and Conquest :)

I never felt like I was "competing" with anyone - it's dinner, not a fashion show! As long as you're dressed nicely, no one will care WHAT you're wearing. It really should be the LEAST of your concerns. Pick out something appropriate and move on to more important things like shore excursions and foo foo drinks :)

I've only been on 3 Carnival cruises so this may not be accurate...but I didn't see many dresses like that, although if the ship was full of people dressed like that I'd be thrilled to death!! I think you'll find the majority dress somewhere in between the ones in that link and the ones that the OP posted photos of.

Granted, my previous Carnival experience was on a holiday (New Year's 1999) cruise, so more people may have gone "above and beyond" than what one normally sees on the line. DW and I were both struck by the number of floor length ball gowns (some clearly big, BIG ticket) that appeared on both the first formal night and on New Year's Eve itself.

Interestingly, we saw almost as many formal gowns on a subsequent 2002 Disney Magic cruise (Spring school vacation period). On both sailings my sense was the most "gussied up" women were early 30s through mid 40s, particularly those in big groups (I suspect the women in said parties are comparing/discussing attire plans in advance of the cruise, which may drive the "fancy factor" up).

Bottom line: the overall formality of dress varies not just by line, but also by specific cruise. When in doubt, I feel the safest path is too assume more as opposed to less formal. In the "photo with the Captain" line, no one is going to diminish you because you are "too well" dressed, but people here are always bemoaning the risk of feeling "under-dressed!"

Personally, I would always prefer to be slightly underdressed than overdressed. You can never go wrong with nice black pants or skirt and a very nice/elegant top. If you show up in a floor length taffeta ball gown, on the other hand, you MIGHT stand out a bit. Understated elegance will never be the wrong way to go.

The skirt goes much better than the pants with that top. As for shoes, I think black or silver would go nice. What is your other formal? that would be my deciding factor, one pair strappy sandals for both formals!

Last March there were very sparkly ball gowns, prom gowns/dresses, simple black, and dressy or cocktail length dresses.

The Legend sailing that's departed today is chartered to a bunch of "naturalists" (nekkid people:eek: ). I guess they don't have to worry about it. I just want to know where they keep their S&S cards.;)

On a lanyard :D I'm wondering how much "hand" sanitizer was brought with them?:eek:

OP - It looks nice...go with it.

StrCrazy, I am debating about the shoes, I have a pair of silver strappy high heels that would set off the top, but I am leaning towards just my black strappy heels instead...what do you think.

I vote the plain black...and NO black hose! Go bare (legged, not nekkid!) or wear nude hose.

Great attitude...you'll be dressed just fine. Post a photo when you return!

Happy sails!

Could you show the pants again? Not to drive you crazy, but you asked...I don't like the skirt with the top, I'd wear the top with a pair of very simple, low rise, long, flared black pants..I think they would be perfect.

IMHO, the top and the skirt have too much going on to be worn together, I like the skirt, I'd pair it with a simple top, just like I'd pair the top, which I also really like, with simple pants.

I hope I'm not confusing you!

Oh, and I say wear the silver sandals.....I'm not a fashion editor, but I was voted best dressed in high school:rolleyes: !

Last of September-

I like the top and skirt better than the prior pants (they were off white if I recall). That said, I must agree with Girlsnightout that simple, elegant flared pants would go better with the top than the skirt. I would go with black sandals before silver sandals with the skirt (although both will work). If you went with black pants, I like the silver sandals better.

Take my advice at your own risk since you don't know whether I was the prom queen or the person with the worst fashion sense in high school. Just kidding! I always tried to be on the cutting edge of fashion. Make a decision and go with it and have fun planning the rest of your cruise.

By the way, what exactly is a foo foo drink I keep reading about?

By the way, what exactly is a foo foo drink I keep reading about?

A drink that tastes fruity and has a pretty color (blue or red, for example). The drink of the day usually falls into the foo foo category. Oh, and it has to have a cute umbrella, of course!:)

This is the OP's original post that includes the top and pants...

Is this dressy enough?

Top:

http://*****.com/3tuov

Bottoms:

http://*****.com/6k9zw (but in black)

I personally don't like the two together... might be good for going out dancing, but I think the skirt will take away from the top. I would opt for something more simple for the pants... even a nice pair of black carwash pants would look nice... just my personal opinion though... good luck in whatever you decide!!!

Archived