Which side of the ship faces the port????

We are booked on a 5 day on the Destiny in December. We'll be stopping in Nassau, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. We've booked a balcony on the starboard (right) side of the ship. Now I'm wondering if we'll be looking at the scenery or another ship when we arrive in each port?!? :rolleyes: Any info that can be provided is much appreciated! :D

We are booked on a 5 day on the Destiny in December. We'll be stopping in Nassau, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. We've booked a balcony on the starboard (right) side of the ship. Now I'm wondering if we'll be looking at the scenery or another ship when we arrive in each port?!? :rolleyes: Any info that can be provided is much appreciated! :D

no set pattern to how the ship will dock, sometimes port side sometimes starboard will face the pier

Half Moon Cay is easy, you anchor out and the ship moves some but usually the back faces the island. In Grand Turk the starboard side was along the pier and in Nassau, you back in so the aft faces the port with the island facing the starboard side. There are usually many ships in Nassau so you will most likely be right up to another ship.

Hope this help, we always get an aft cabin so we can see both sides.

It depends...on tide, when the ship is docking, how many othr ships are docking, what contract for docking the ship has negotiated...

so you have to move out of your cabin and into another part of the ship if you want different scenery.

I think that there will be pluses to your being on the starboard side. I've been port side in every ship I have ever sailed on and I would say 50/50 we've shared port views with the starboard side.

On Carnival Liberty and Carnival Destiny we shared our ports between the two sides. On Carnival Inspiration we did, too. Once, in Cozumel, the port side of the ship was looking in the windows of Carnival Fascination.

So try not to be concerned about it. If you aren't facing the port, you'll either have a ship to peer at or you will be looking out at gorgeous turquoise waters....

Anyone care to guess why the port side is call the port side????

An archaic version of the term is larboard. The term larboard, when shouted in the wind, was presumably too easy to confuse with starboard and so the word port came to replace it, referring to the side of the ship where cargo is loaded from the port. The term larboard continued its use well into the 1850s by whalers, despite the term being long superseded by "port" in the merchant vessel service at the time.

The term "port" was not officially adopted by the Royal Navy until 1844 (Ray Parkin, H. M. Bark Endeavour). Robert FitzRoy, Captain of Darwin's HMS Beagle, is said to have taught his crew to use the term port instead of larboard, thus propelling the use of the word into the Naval Services vocabulary. Another source suggests a different archaic word "portboard" (see the starboard article for further explanation).

Hope this helps.:)

We are booked on a 5 day on the Destiny in December.

We'll be stopping in Nassau, If your ship ports with the bow forward then starboard will face the island or another ship. If the ship backs in your cabin will face the sea or another ship.

Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Every time I've been to GT the ship has docked port side to the island...HMC is a tender port so the ships moves around with the wind, current and tide...

We've booked a balcony on the starboard (right) side of the ship. Now I'm wondering if we'll be looking at the scenery or another ship when we arrive in each port?!? :rolleyes: Any info that can be provided is much appreciated! :D

You can go to a site www.cruisett.com and see how many ships will be with you in port and this will give you a better idea on Nassau and GT....;)

OK...I looked it up....This seems to be the unofficial but kinda official ships that will be in port with you....Just look at the dates...Looks like your going to have the QM2 with you in GT....

http://cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=38&date=28

I agree with the 50% of the time. We too like aft.....can be entertaining watching the runners. :rolleyes: So far never seen anyone left but they say it happens. Either side will be nice to look out.

Kat

Murphy's Law dictates that whatever cabin you choose, it will be on the "wrong side" There are plenty of views all over the ship and lots of places to go. We love aft but, there are some that hate it. Don't sweat it and just enjoy your cruise.

If the left side of the ship is tied to the dock, the ship will be, "portside to." If the right side is against the dock, it will be "starboardside to."

About 50/50 each port visit.

If anchored out the ship will swing in the wind.

DO NOT bother trying to book according to port views.

We have always booked starboard balconies and have been on the "port" side a majority of the time (really enjoy watching the "runners" return to the ship...lol)...but truly, it depends on where the ship is slotted to dock and if it pulls in forward, or backs in, or sides up to the dock....and no website really gives that info...luck of the draw I guess.

We usually book port, but for no reason other than you have to pick one. Like others have said, don't book one or the other because you are expecting to see something. You'll see what you'll see.

(but I also like facing the port because it is funny to watch the late people run to the ship...)

We usually book port, but for no reason other than you have to pick one. Like others have said, don't book one or the other because you are expecting to see something. You'll see what you'll see.

(but I also like facing the port because it is funny to watch the late people run to the ship...)

If we're 'offside,' we go to the Lido deck to watch the runners, staggerers, and crawlers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,In younger years I wuz one, now I'm a watcher.

Archived