Carnival's New Fare Policy

paul929207

You can still discount on HAL (last time I checked). They just stopped allowing deeply discounted cruises to be advertised.
I just booked a HAL cruise a couple of days ago; it was several hundred $ less than what I would have paid booking directly through HAL plus I got an OBC.

As for Princess, I agree with Toto in that you can always get a better rate, often substantially better, with a TA than directly with Princess plus get incentives.

You didn't understand what I was saying - I meant that if none of these lines will let TA's discount, then Carnival will have a tough time competing (quality-wise) with these others who don't discount either.

Carnival used to have an advantage in the market of middle-income folks who were looking for the cheapest price and solos looking for the cheapest SS's. Now they aren't the cheapest, so people may consider better quality lines if they're going to have to pay more anyway.

I think the lines are different but not necessarily better depending on your vacations needs. Currently I would pay a lot more for a family vacation on Carnival than on Princess. I book a Carnival for the high energy, ongoing FUN factor that is missing on Princess. I don't always use a TA so I like the idea of not searching or wondering if I am getting the best deal. If I am in the mood for a Carnival cruise (fun, laugh out loud,deck parties, singing waiters). I would not choose any vacation simply for the price.

I book a Carnival for the high energy, ongoing FUN factor that is missing on Princess.
It all depends on your definition of "fun." I have lots of "fun" on Princess and HAL, and would never step foot on a Carnival cruise. It's not for me, probably because while I like to socialize, I don't like loud parties, drunken laughing, or people doing stupid things that they would never do sober.

. I book a Carnival for the high energy, ongoing FUN factor that is missing on Princess. If I am in the mood for a Carnival cruise (fun, laugh out loud,deck parties, singing waiters). I would not choose any vacation simply for the price.

Agree with Pam -- this is exactly why I dont cruise on Carnival

Agree with Pam -- this is exactly why I dont cruise on Carnival

Count me in too Earl................if that was my only choice for cruising, I would find a different type of vacation. Nice to know there are some that enjoy that sort of thing, but we definitely aren't in that category. I will take Princess anyday!

Count me in too Earl................if that was my only choice for cruising, I would find a different type of vacation. Nice to know there are some that enjoy that sort of thing, but we definitely aren't in that category. I will take Princess anyday!

Me too!! Princess offers plenty of fun without the drunken hijinks. Personally what I witnessed on our one Carnival cruise was enough to last me a lifetime. It is definitely not the type of environment I want to be around and certainly not a good environment for kids in my opinion. Give me the elegant, refined, wholesome and family friendly fun on Princess any day!

I think the lines are different but not necessarily better depending on your vacations needs.

You're right - they are different in many ways (and have similarities too). But the reputation of sophisticated quality certainly varies between lines and I don't think Carnival has that reputation.

If I am in the mood for a Carnival cruise (fun, laugh out loud,deck parties, singing waiters)

Personally, I've enjoyed my 3 Carnival cruises, which is why I've booked another one. But I booked it because I wanted a certain cabin for a very good price. Unfortunately, I do have to choose my vacations based on price (I'm just one of those middle-class working stiffs!). But I don't enjoy everything on Carnival - like the loud drunken folks, gaudy neon decorations, or constant announcements. (But I do like the dancing waiters! ;):D)

My comment was that Carnival may now have to compete with pricier lines since they've upped prices and cut out discounts to TA's, but certain clientele won't choose them at the same prices as other lines.

would someone please check the price with their online agent for the Emerald Princess November 28 from Forty Lauderdale. balcony guarantee.

I wont ask for the name of the agent. Just wanteed to fcomare it to my princess direct booking

Thanks

would someone please check the price with their online agent for the Emerald Princess November 28 from Forty Lauderdale. balcony guarantee.

I wont ask for the name of the agent. Just wanteed to fcomare it to my princess direct booking

Thanks

I just checked one of the online sites I use for pricing (I don't book with them, just use them for comparison), and the fare for two passengers in a BG balcony cabin (guarantee, as that is all that is left to book in this category). Including port charges and taxes is showing $2061.58 Total. Is this what you were looking to compare to?

Thanks Toto. That is about $100 more than with Princess. Do you think If I booked I would be able to keep out Caribe balcony I got on a guarantee balcony?

So you are saying that you booked direct and paid $100 less than the discounted site rate????

There is more to booking a guarantee then just saying you booked a guarantee. When you book a guarantee, you are actually booking a certain category guarantee. You are then guaranteed that category OR above.

There is never a way of knowing if you will be assigned the category you actually booked OR in a higher category. Booking through Princess or a TA, neither gives you an edge for an upgrade.

Keep one thing in mind, when you book, you need to supply your captain's circle number, without it, accurate pricing is almost impossible. Princess still runs regional specials and they target certain Captain's Circle numbers for lower pricing. So, the price I am given, might be totally different then the one you receive. ;)

I just checked one of the online sites I use for pricing (I don't book with them, just use them for comparison), and the fare for two passengers in a BG balcony cabin (guarantee, as that is all that is left to book in this category). Including port charges and taxes is showing $2061.58 Total. Is this what you were looking to compare to?

I got $2054 from the Princess site. Same cruise 3 different prices.

It's not for me, probably because while I like to socialize, I don't like loud parties, drunken laughing, or people doing stupid things that they would never do sober.

What Carnival cruises have you been on? I haven't seen any more drunks on Carnival or seen any more loud parties than I have seen on Hal, NCL or Celebrity. I guess I've missed all the stupid things people do too.What type of stupid things were there that you saw on a Carnival cruise?

I'm starting to wonder just how quiet/boring Princess is. I will hit 60 this year, and I have enjoyed all of my cruises. But darn, I've missed the parties and drunks, even though I don't drink alcohol (so you would think I would notice it) and I'm up til the wee hours upstairs listening to the bands.

Yep, happens all of the time. Was the $2054 with all taxes and port charges or just the base cruise fare? One thing about Princess, I have found without being logged in with your captain's circle number, you can't actually see the price offered to you. But they are all different.......................which makes it even stranger.

OOPS, sorry Toto

I meant $100 less than Princess, I tried Nancy and all she could giveme ws a $75 Onboard credit and not lover price. I must look around more as I amnow paying 1049. a person plus the taxes

I wont do any changes now but will wait till closer to the final apayment date as prices may go down even more

ThaNnks

This seems to be along the lines of what the online TA's are charging.

Thanks Toto. That is about $100 more than with Princess. Do you think If I booked I would be able to keep out Caribe balcony I got on a guarantee balcony?

Just out of curiosity, how long ago did you book this cruise? We all know that rates fluctuate. If you have been booked for sometime, the price for new bookings will not be a fair assessment.

This also seems to be along the lines of what the online TA is charging.

Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to price this cruise.

First the price on Princess:

Eastern Caribbean: Voyager Roundtrip Fort Lauderdale - 10 Days

PRICING FOR 2 PASSENGERS

Cruise Total†$2,098.00

Transfers$56.00

Gov't Fees and Taxes§$154.60

Total Price (USD)$2,308.60

Balance Due $2,308.60 ($2,252 w/o transfer)

Then thru a popular online TA:

Pricing Summary

PassengerFareTaxes/FeesTotal

#1)$936.34$77.30$1,013.64 USD

#2)$936.34$77.30$1,013.64 USD

Subtotal:$1,872.68$154.60

$2,027.28 USD

As you can see, Princess is clearly higher in my case by over $200. For those that are getting better pricing, I can only speculate that it comes down to the various discounts. Some may qualify for senior rates, military discounts or residency rates; all of which will return different results. If I don't qualify for a certain rate with the cruise line, it makes sense to book thru a TA for the discount plus any perks they throw in.

The other thing I have noticed is that online TA's pricing does not always reflect the final price. I generally have to provide my past pax discount verbally to receive the final pricing - which in most cases is significantly less than the cruise line.

As you can see, Princess is clearly higher in my case by over $200. For those that are getting better pricing, I can only speculate that it comes down to the various discounts. Some may qualify for senior rates, military discounts or residency rates; all of which will return different results.

Red not with Princess

It all depends on your definition of "fun." I have lots of "fun" on Princess and HAL, and would never step foot on a Carnival cruise. It's not for me, probably because while I like to socialize, I don't like loud parties, drunken laughing, or people doing stupid things that they would never do sober.

Clearly you haven't stepped foot on a Carnival cruise, at least recently. Your knowledge at best is outdated at wost hearsay. I have not witnessed any behavior I would considered "drunken'. So, are you simply putting something down to make your vacation choice seems better. What's the point of your post other than to send someone seeking an active vacation to RCCL, taking money away from the parent company Carnival Corporation:rolleyes: I know nothing of HAL and won't consider it for another 25 years. I have enjoyed the cruises I have tried recently for different reasons, some more than others. Carnival 2x in 2008, Princess 2x in 2009, RCCL 8x but most recently 2/10. Now we are planning for Celebrity.

Carnival is the preferred family cruise choice for countless families like myself. I am proud to say I gave them a vacation filled with fun, laughter, games, great food, and a comfortable bed. I vacationed with other parents who were grateful to be able to share the experience and environment with their kids.

Yep, happens all of the time. Was the $2054 with all taxes and port charges or just the base cruise fare? One thing about Princess, I have found without being logged in with your captain's circle number, you can't actually see the price offered to you. But they are all different.......................which makes it even stranger.

That included taxes and port charges. Is the tax charge(not port charge) based on where you live such as how sales tax varies from county to county, state to state?

You are so right....before I logged into my account, the price was $2,606. :eek:

Clearly you haven't stepped foot on a Carnival cruise, at least recently. Your knowledge at best is outdated at wost hearsay. I have not witnessed any behavior I would considered "drunken'. So, are you simply putting something down to make your vacation choice seems better. What's the point of your post other than to send someone seeking an active vacation to RCCL, taking money away from the parent company Carnival Corporation:rolleyes: I know nothing of HAL and won't consider it for another 25 years. I have enjoyed the cruises I have tried recently for different reasons, some more than others. Carnival 2x in 2008, Princess 2x in 2009, RCCL 8x but most recently 2/10. Now we are planning for Celebrity.

Carnival is the preferred family cruise choice for countless families like myself. I am proud to say I gave them a vacation filled with fun, laughter, games, great food, and a comfortable bed. I vacationed with other parents who were grateful to be able to share the experience and environment with their kids.

Wow, it almost seems like you are defending Carnival like you married it or gave birth to it!! ;) Just having a bit of fun with you since you like to use that saying when some here defend Princess.

My experience on Carnival was three years ago, but I have to say we did see a lot of drunken, bad behavior on our cruise. It was like one big, drunken frat party. Lots of nearly naked people by the pool with a few too many PDAs. I had to cover the kiddies eyes a few times! :eek: The entertainment was pure Vegas glitz, which was not my preference and it just felt very adult oriented. I kind of felt like it was the type of cruise where kids were meant to stay safely tucked away in the club the entire time so the adults could party. My kids didn't like the club though, so they were with us most of the time and there really wasn't much we could do as a family together. I will agree though the food was good and the beds were comfortable. Anyway, the overall experience really turned me off Carnival and I'd think long and hard before giving them another try.

Archived