Alaska - What Ship ?

grizzman

I'm planning a cruise to Alaska next May please help me decide what ship to take...

NCL Pearl

Sunday- Seattle 4 PM

Monday - Cruising inside passage

Tuesday - Juneau 2 PM to 10 PM

Wednesday - Skagway 7 AM to 8:15 PM

Thursday - Cruise Glacier Bay

Friday - Ketchikan 6 AM to 1:30 PM

Saturday - Victoria 6 PM to 11:59 PM

Sunday- Seattle

OR

NCL Star

Saturday - Vancouver 4 PM

Sunday - Cruising inside passage

Monday - Ketchikan 7 AM to 3 PM

Tuesday - Juneau 7 AM to 1:30 PM

Wednesday - Skagway 7 AM to 5 PM

Thursday - Prince Rupert 4 PM to 10 PM

Friday Sea day

Saturday Seattle..

Take the Pearl

- A little bigger, newer ship

- Glacier Bay

- A little better itinarary with longer stays in most ports.

If they had a Vancouver departure that would be better as it does more of the inside passage. But it looks like they are sticking with 2 Seattle ships for 2011.

You can't go wrong with eiither, but Pearl and Glacier Bay......also Pearl has Great Outdoors eating area and the top/fornt Spiniker lounge still.

The Spinaker Lounge point is very valid. It will be interesting to see what the new lounge is like when my wife and I are on the Star in Sept. We really enjoyed the views from there last August when it was up front.

I have been on both these ships to Alaska several times. They are both good choices, with negatives to both. The routing of each is the least scenic of Alaska cruises, with going round trip Seattle. The Star has grossly superior front deck viewing, with the Pearl having some of the crappiest, in my Alaska experience (27 trips).

With the Star, I find it "necessary" to certain to include the ship Tracy Arm boat tour- grossly superior to the cruiseship transit.

For next year, I'd take the Pearl - because it's departing from Seattle. Airfare to/from Vancouver is expensive - and the hassle of transporting to Seattle is not for us.

We're on the Star this year (from Seattle) and have booked the Tracy Arm shore excursion we can get "up close and personal" with the glacier. ;)

We've done the Glacier Bay itinerary 3 times on 2 different ships (Star and Pearl) and the other itinerary 2 times on 2 different ships (Sky and Spirit.)

Glacier Bay is really amazing so that will be my recommendation, however there are many good reasons to take the other itinerary too.

The Star has been our favorite NCL ship, however it has been newly renovated with displacement of a few venues that were important to us, so we'll see how we feel about it when we are sailing her again in September.

We will no longer be able to enjoy the beautiful Spinnaker Lounge with the floor to ceiling windows on deck 12, however, (can't beat 'em join 'em) we booked two of the new suites where the Spinnaker used to be, so we can still have those floor to ceiling windows! I can't wait to see what those rooms are like.

No matter what you choose, and for whatever reason, it is your choice and you'll have a great time.

Hikini:D

My vote is for the Pearl. I'm actually addicted to this ship I think, and afraid to cruise any other ship lol:o

Glacier Bay is a must.

Preferably from a balcony. The Captain stops there, and you get a chance to take it all in. Calving too. Then...he turns the ship around so the other side can do the same thing.

My only beef with that schedule is Ketchikan. NOT ENOUGH TIME there! I did the Bering Sea Crab boat excursion(Aleutian Ballad) and then it was time to get back on the ship. They (shop keepers)said that everyone complains about that. Not enough time in Ketchikan :-(

Thank you all for your quick replies...

The peril it is.

Now the next question,

Port or Starboard side ?

IF you ONLY want your Glacier Bay viewing from your cabin, and no intentions of getting out on deck, you need a port side. That is the first side with the views, and the side will all the commentary. BUT, do realize, yeah, sure, the ship "turns" so looking at it differently, you MISS half the potential viewing. No knowing when that massive calving is going to happen. :)

Archived