Just back did Chef Table on Island Princess

lazarru

Just back from the Island Pricess last week and we did the Chef's table and it was amazing. I would highly suggest for anyone to do it, it's well worth the $75 per person for the evening. It ran from 7:15 till about 10:30.

We met in one of the dining rooms, received our chef's jackets and went into the kitchen area. After a quick hand washing we were lead to an area of the kitchen that was setup with plates and an ice swan. There were also a number of bottle of champagne there which were quickly opened. The head chef and head of the dining services was there and gave an overview of how the dining area works and answer any questions that anyone had. After about 10 mins they said they had some hors d'oeuvres and started to bring them out. We had:

Crab meat cocktail - nice a light a great start

Mini Quiche - I not a big fan but these were really good

Potato with sour cream and Caviar - Very good

Beef Tartar - Have never had this before, in fact I think only 1 person had but I think across the board this was everyone's favorate, had just been made 30 mins before

We then moved out to the dining room to a table that was setup for us where of course wine was started, there wound up being 4 different wines servered with the various courses.

The first course at the table was a lobster Rossito, I have never been a big fan, in fact my wife has never seen me eat lobster, however I did try this an loved it. Lobster was in the rossito as well there were a couple of claws on top

For the next course we had sorbet on top of mango covered with vodka. Another one that was out of the world, in fact all of the sorbets on the trip were really good. Even the people that said they don't drink vodka said yes please put it on

The main course was then a trio of beef, veal an pork with 5 different sauces brought table side and the chef then set it on fire and the 2 sets of racks of meat were left on the table. There was no way the table could even make a dent in how much meat was there, it was great though, meat just melted in your mouth.

We then had a cheese course, Camembert cheese with pine nuts on a fig bread. This course was good, not great but I think it's more because that type of cheese isn't really my thing.

Moving onto dessert, they brought out a parfait which sat in a bowl made from sugar and covered in sugar bird's nest which was almost too pretty to even eat. The work that went into just making the bowls for this was amazing. When everyone did finally eat the parfait it was great.

Finally they bring out a 2nd set of desserts, choc covered strawberries and various cookies. We were all stuffed at this point but they "forced" a strawberry on everyone, and then if you asked what something on the try was they just said here try it.

All in all one of the best meals that I have had in a long time.

If anyone has any questions please post, more then willing to answer

Thanks for doing a review. It certainly sounds wonderful. We are thinking about doing this for our next cruise - Caribbean. I was hoping to not have to bring closed-toe shoes. Could I get by with sandals?

Thanks for doing a review. It certainly sounds wonderful. We are thinking about doing this for our next cruise - Caribbean. I was hoping to not have to bring closed-toe shoes. Could I get by with sandals?

I don't think so, there was someone that had sandels and she did have to go back and she changed into sneakers. I don't know if, they would have let her go if she hadn't of had anything, they asked her if she did have anything else but I'm not sure if they would have let it pass, they almost looked like they might have but I wouldn't chance it.

Glad you enjoyed the Chef's Table. We did it for the second time on the Island back in April. Loved every minute of it!!!! I see from your photos you had a different executive chef and a partially different menu. Glad to see the is some variety on the same ship within a few months time. You got to love the sorbet and vodka. We made something similar for friends at home after our experience and they really enjoyed it.

As far as the closed toed shoes, I think it varies. On our first Chef's Table it was said yes, but...and some had open toes shoes. Granted, if you have your mind set on the Chef's Table, better to bring a pair (of course this meant that DD had to go show shopping again.....:eek:)

Tim

Tahnks for the review!

We'll be sailing the island in 12 days and hope to do the chefs table as well. Out of curiosity, did you call the dine line when you boarded or did you speak with the maitre d?

We didn't board the ship until 7pm in Whitter so the dining line was closed. We called the lin the next morning and thye didn't exactly seem to know what was going on. Even when they called us later in the week they didn't know when it was or if we were actually on the list. During during we were told 27 people actually signed up and they selected the 9 but he wouldn't say how he selected people. Chef's table was listed in the platter on Wednesday and one of the other couples was told that if enough people hadn't signed up they wouldnt have it, so I'm not sure if there was not a major rush the 1st day and if it was 1st come 1st server or if they did some random selection.

I had signed us up for it on our last cruise. I signed up the first night when we went to dinner. I had to meet in the dinning room a day later and I wasn't too thrilled with the other people that were there. It ended up that they had it on our second formal night. We had been hanging out with two other couples every day and night and decided we'd rather spend the evening with them rather than some strange people since I had a feeling that we wouldn't enjoy dining with them.

I plan to sign up on our November cruise.

Have any of you had a bad experience with the other diners or is there so much going on that it doesn't really matter?

Have done the CT on the Star and the Crown and had wonderful tablemates each time. Will do it again (I hope!) on the Carib Princess in September. One of life's little luxeries...:D:D:D

Barbara

lazarru,

Thanks for sharing your review and photos. We experienced Chefs Table last summer on our Alaska Star Princess cruise and really enjoyed the entirre experience. Our table mates were wonderful, first met outside dining room the night of CT while donning the white lab coats. One woman, travelling solo, said it was her 5th CT, WOW. She must cruise Princess a lot, as CT was only a year old program then.

We called the dinning line as soon as we boarded, but were not informed of our CT participation until the day before.

We had a similiar experience and dining options as did lazarru, but don't recall the "rack of meat", but all was wonderful (sorry, no pics).

During our march through the dining room to the kitchen, we got quite a few stares from other diners. Couldn't help but think they thought we were CDC Health Scientists performing a kitchen inspection ! :eek:

We also received a Princess Courses Receipe coffee table book, signed by both the Executive Chef and Matrie'd. The ships photographer also took 2 pictures, one with each couple with the Executive Chef and Matrie'd standing behind, and the second with the entire table with the Executive Chef and Matrie'd. The two 5x7 photos were also included.

A very good value for just $75pp. We plan to sign up again on our next Princess Cruise. Princess said on 14+ day cruises, they offer CT on 4 different nights. We'll do just one ! :D

Thanks for posting your Chef's Table review. We did it two years ago on the Emerald and loved it. Tried doing it last year on the Ruby, but too many people had made "pre cruise" arangements with the MD. Most slots were basically filled before the cruise even began. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll get it next year when we do our T/A on the Ruby.....

Did you do the normal sign up when you boarded?

Bob

I had signed us up for it on our last cruise. I signed up the first night when we went to dinner. I had to meet in the dinning room a day later and I wasn't too thrilled with the other people that were there. It ended up that they had it on our second formal night. We had been hanging out with two other couples every day and night and decided we'd rather spend the evening with them rather than some strange people since I had a feeling that we wouldn't enjoy dining with them.

I plan to sign up on our November cruise.

Have any of you had a bad experience with the other diners or is there so much going on that it doesn't really matter?

Of course, you are entitled to your own opinions and choices as to whether or not to go ahead with Chef's table, but just curious as to what was so wrong with these people that you came to such conclusions based on what I would imagine to be a relatively short interaction with them? :confused:

We did the CT this past March on the Island and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were very fortunate to have 4 other couples who were great to be with. As far as the shoes, my wife had open shoes on when we met the maitre d and she asked if she needed closed toe shoes and he looked at her and said it would be ok until she said she had the closed toe ones and at that time he preferred her put them on so she probably would have been ok with the open toe shoes.

Yummy - someday I'll try this... but my wife doesn't want to since she won't eat red meat. Thus my evil plot is to get my BIL to come with, he'll eat anything ;-)

My wife also does not eat meat, but does eat fish. They prepared a very nice salmon dish for her and she did not feel deprived.

As long as you let them know ahead of time of any food issues there was no issue in giving something else

I don't doubt that - but she's fine with not spending the money and there's enough people around that seem to think if you ask them to change anything you affect everyone and they get pretty hostile. :eek:

We did it on our cruise in June on the Sapphire and it was one of the highlights of our trip! We called in to request it as soon as we arrived, mentioned to the Maitre'd when we saw him that we were hoping to be included (but did not provide our name as he did not ask), and received word the next day that we would be participating. We met with the maitre'd, where we discussed food allergies (one person had a seafood allergy) and closed-toed shoes. Our maitre'd said that we could wear open-toed shoes as their kitchen was spotlessly clean (which it was).

The coffee table recipe book retails in the shop for something like $28, and we got ours signed by the sommelier, head chef, pastry chef and maitre'd, which was priceless. We also got a picture of our entire group, including our waiters.

By the way, I've posted more info on our experience at the Chef's Table in my review of Sapphire Princess, if anyone is interested.

Archived