Just back did Chef Table on Island Princess

lazarru

I had been looking so forward to this for several cruises and have been talking it up to my personal chef (my husband). Finally did it on the Emerald in March of this year.

First let me say that the experience was better than the food. I'll explain: the galley portion was the best. The champagne was superb and plentiful and I forget the brand name. The 1st courses were crab margarita salad, a quiche, cavier potatoes and something else I've forgotten. These were all VERY tasty.

After our procession thru the dining room we sat down to flowing wine and very nice company. However the food that we were served was not as elegant as the pictures above. The lobster risoto looked like a bowl of oatmeal and I mean a HUGE bowl of oatmeal-no lobster claw garnish-and it was so salty, it was practilly inedible. The meat was the trio the OP described but huge slabs were slopped on the plate with the au jus poured over and pooled onto everything else on the plate. So much meat I felt badly that I couldn't eat it all and so much went to waste on everyone's plates I had to think of all the starving children. The rest of the courses were very good and like someone else said before the wine and spirits alone were well worth the $75 pp.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this post with my review, but after looking at Lazarru's pictures I wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I will look for the pictures we took and post them in another thread. Needless to say my personal chef was not entirely pleased with the food (and it was his birthday present from me).:(

and it was terrific. The only complaint was that the meat was prepared medium but they did make some very rare for us. The menu said there was venison but we were served beef, pork and veal. i would do it again on my next princess cruise. It was much better than the one we had on HAL.

Planning on doing Chef's table on our next cruise, did any women feel as though they would have slipped if in closed toed heels when in the kitchen? Dress, would a long maxi type dress be ok to wear in the kitchen or would nice dress pants and a blouse be better? Thank you for your assistance.

Seadeck2

The kitchen aisles are very wide and I don't think you need worry about your dress. I wore high-heeled, open toed pumps and a short dress and had no problem....it was just like walking in any other part of the, to be honest.

We did the Chef's table on the Crown in April. It was absolutely fabulous!

The whole closed shoe thing is a standard restaurant issue and is for safety. ( ie dropping a knife on foot). It was requested that women wear closed toe shoes as they were being inspected on this sailing and that is a huge no no. Normally, they might look the other way for as long as you are in the galley.

Our tablemates were great and we had a wonderful time. It was truly the highpoint of the week and we will most likely sign up for it again.

friday the cat --

I'm really not sure what turned me off to the other people. We had to go down to the dinning room one afternoon and we all sat around a large table talking. It was kind of like one of those dating nights where you get 5 minutes with each person and they just weren't very talkative. I like to talk and joke around and I could tell I'd be the one to start every conversation. We had been running around with two other couples on the cruise and the land tour prior to the cruise and were having soooooooo much fun that I felt we'd rather spend a night like that (second formal) with our friends rather than people we didn't know. After ten minutes, I could just tell it wouldn't be a fun evening.

friday the cat --

I'm really not sure what turned me off to the other people. We had to go down to the dinning room one afternoon and we all sat around a large table talking. It was kind of like one of those dating nights where you get 5 minutes with each person and they just weren't very talkative. I like to talk and joke around and I could tell I'd be the one to start every conversation. We had been running around with two other couples on the cruise and the land tour prior to the cruise and were having soooooooo much fun that I felt we'd rather spend a night like that (second formal) with our friends rather than people we didn't know. After ten minutes, I could just tell it wouldn't be a fun evening.

Thanks for the reply :) Sounds like you made a wise choice :D Hope you enjoy CT when you eventually get a chance to do it!

Thanks for doing a review. It certainly sounds wonderful. We are thinking about doing this for our next cruise - Caribbean. I was hoping to not have to bring closed-toe shoes. Could I get by with sandals?

We just did the Chef's Table on the CB. We were on the July 2nd sailing. When asked if we could go with sandals the reply was " Just make sure they are comfortable shoes that will not slip in the kitchen area. Please do not go out and buy closed toe shoes if you do not have them with you." The chef's table was amazing, well worth the extra cost. Menu was pretty close to the above mention menu with a few slight variations. I agree the lobster risotto was the best. I would have been happy with that as my main course. :D:D:D

We just did the Chef's Table on the CB. We were on the July 2nd sailing. When asked if we could go with sandals the reply was " Just make sure they are comfortable shoes that will not slip in the kitchen area. Please do not go out and buy closed toe shoes if you do not have them with you." :D:D:D

thank for the heads up. I will have deck shoes - they don't look the greatest with a dress but I can always wear them if they stop me.

Thank you for all of your input and suggestions, now I know what to take I do have close toed shoes, just didn't want to take the dresses that go with them. I will have my closed toed keens if all else and tennis shoes.

At least I would not slip! Thanks again for the help, I really did need it.

If you let them know that you do not eat something they will certainly supply a replacement, make sure when you receive the information that you do inform them as it's not real clear that you need to on the paper work that we did.

anyone have any experience booking this for a "group". We are starting to look into a 2012 alaska trip, ironing out what we do and don't want to do/see. There would be 8 of us.

Do you think that the chef would prepare something other than meat? I do not eat red meat but would love to do this - maybe some fish?

My wife, who does not eat meat, informed them of this and a very nice salmon main course was prepared for her.

Thanks for all the reports and photos. It helped me to decide that this is not for me. I was impressed until the main course which I just don't find to be creative enough to justify price. I've always had nothing but excellent experiences in their mdr and other specialty restaurants so I don't think I'll feel deprived. But for all those who do go, enjoy!

anyone have any experience booking this for a "group". We are starting to look into a 2012 alaska trip, ironing out what we do and don't want to do/see. There would be 8 of us.

We were able to do a party of 6 on the CB, July2nd sailing. On our cruise they had 2 Chef's tables. We did the 1st one. No choice that's just what they assigned us.

We did the CT on the Royal in April. We agree with all the responses that it was a terrific cusine, social experience. Have no clue how guests are selected. We were told to go to the dining room to register. The DR captain took our name and three days later we got our "invitation." On this cruise (14 days) they had two sittings for the CT.

Recommend you skip breakfast and lunch to prepare for the dinner.;)

Enjoyed all the pix and saw some of the same dishes we had. Also enjoyed the autographed Princess Cook Book ... although not sure we would be able to master many of the recipes, if any.

Archived