3 In Cabin 1 Can't Go

How does trip insurance work when there are 3 booked in a cabin, and one cannot go? Do you call the cruise line or do you call insurance company? Cruise leaves this Sat., and just found out today one of the three can't go due to a staff infection. Would you call the cruise line or just let it be a no-show then file the insurance? Any help will be appreciated. The other two are going.

Wow, I am sorry that one of your party is ill and has to cancel.

At this late date, I doubt that whether your notify the cruiseline or your insurer first, will alter the fact that you will forfeit the cruise fare for the ill person. But, it might affect what your insurance company does. So, read what your policy says or requires first!

Check with the cruise line about their cancellation policies. It might be that if you cancel you'd at least get your taxes refunded but not if you're a no-show. I don't know if that's the case but you should find out. If so, the insurer would have the right to reduce your claim by that amount.

Thanks for the responses. My friend talked to her travel insurance this morning, and they told her to tell them at the port he would not be going. This would document he or no one else sailed. Hope the claim goes smoothly for them.

• 2 weeks later...

We had this happen the last time we sailed with Carnival. Carnival told us just to let them know at the port when we boarded as it would have made a difference in the sailing cost :eek: as she was one of 2 people in a cabin (there were 3 in the other cabin). There were 4 of us left and we just had them change keys so there were 2 in each cabin. As for the insurance, the lady who couldn't go contacted the insurance company and provided medical documentation.

Archived