Port of Baltimore, where to stay?

GAHart

We will be sailing out of Port of Baltimore on Enchantment next June. Does anyone have good tips on where to stay (or avoid!) the night before that offers a shuttle to the port and hotel parking for the week??

If anyone needs this advice for Port Canaveral, FL. i highly recommend Country Inn and Suites. They run their shuttle like seasoned pros. The hotel is very clean and very nice and looks new. Free breakfast is above average and good. Pool is great with a hot tub area and area for small children. Hotel is closest one to the port. Price is great value. Stay the night and park for a week for about 150.00 including tax. So i'm spoiled with this hotel and looking for a similar one at Port of Baltimore! :D

What is your price range? There are several good large-name hotels around the Inner Harbor that are about 5 to 10 minutes from the pier by car, but they're in the "expensive" range (anything around the water will be). The Hilton at the Convention Center is brand-new and they're fairly reasonable, so you might want to try there first if you want to stay in the downtown area.

I can tell you better what to avoid than where to go, unfortunately. Do not get anything that's situated on Russell Street (major highway leading into the city) - it's far away from attractions and the neighborhood is questionable. Also, the Berkshires might look attractive based on where it is (a couple of blocks from the harbor), but again, the neighborhood turns questionable at night. Most of Baltimore does, unfortunately, so my advice is to stay around the Inner Harbor/Harbor East area. It's pricey, but you'll thank me later.

There are several new hotels around the Harbor East area, as well as upscale restaurants and attractions nearby. If you specify a price range you're looking for, I could maybe give you more suggestions.

Thanks for the info! I prefer clean, safe places so if we have to pay more then we just would. That wouldn't be a problem. Either that or just park at the port for the week if there is no better choice. Depending on what the port parking would cost for 9 days is how i would evaluate the hotel price. But also interested in the efficiency of the hotel shuttle service to the port.

What is your price range? There are several good large-name hotels around the Inner Harbor that are about 5 to 10 minutes from the pier by car, but they're in the "expensive" range (anything around the water will be). The Hilton at the Convention Center is brand-new and they're fairly reasonable, so you might want to try there first if you want to stay in the downtown area.

I can tell you better what to avoid than where to go, unfortunately. Do not get anything that's situated on Russell Street (major highway leading into the city) - it's far away from attractions and the neighborhood is questionable. Also, the Berkshires might look attractive based on where it is (a couple of blocks from the harbor), but again, the neighborhood turns questionable at night. Most of Baltimore does, unfortunately, so my advice is to stay around the Inner Harbor/Harbor East area. It's pricey, but you'll thank me later.

There are several new hotels around the Harbor East area, as well as upscale restaurants and attractions nearby. If you specify a price range you're looking for, I could maybe give you more suggestions.

We will be sailing in January, someone told us the Sleep Inn at the airport which includes free vehicle parking during the cruise...is this in a safe area?

Someone in another thread posted that they stayed at the Fairfield Inn White Marsh. They had good things to say about the hotel and shuttle service. I searched it and it has really good reviews on Trip advisor, for example. According to GoogleMaps, it's about 20 minutes north of the port area, all interstate driving, no city streets.

Cathalain,

We have a reservation at the Homewood Suites on President Street that doesn't seem too far from the Berkshire. Is this a risky area in the evening?Thanks,Tina

Not Cathalain, but I'm not familiar with a Berkshire hotel. There is a Brookshire Suites hotel that is a block from the Inner Harbor/Harborplace.

No, Homewood Suites is perfectly safe and located among a cluster of high end restaurants and million dollar condos. The Marriott Waterfront is right across the street.

We just booked the Sleep Inn by BWI, free parking for up to 14 days and a free shuttle to the cruiseport. The price was good too, and the hotel had good reviews. Check it out on Stay123.com. Enjoy your cruise :D

Hi,

We just booked the same hotel through stay123 for our Nov. cruise, they were cheaper than the Park & Fly ( cruise ) site for the same hotel & there wasn't a $4.99 transaction fee. I'm not sure if the taxes were included in the price.

Thanks to all that suggested booking with stay123. I learn something new & helpful on the cc message boards everyday.

Happy Cruising. May the seas that you travel on always be smooth.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Cathalain,

We have a reservation at the Homewood Suites on President Street that doesn't seem too far from the Berkshire. Is this a risky area in the evening?

Thanks,

Tina

President Street is considered part of Harbor East. This is a very safe area. You will not have any worries. :)

Not Cathalain, but I'm not familiar with a Berkshire hotel. There is a Brookshire Suites hotel that is a block from the Inner Harbor/Harborplace.

madelinerose, thank you. :) I meant Brookshire, not Berkshire. My mistake! :D

Hi,

We just booked the same hotel through stay123 for our Nov. cruise, they were cheaper than the Park & Fly ( cruise ) site for the same hotel & there wasn't a $4.99 transaction fee. I'm not sure if the taxes were included in the price.

Thanks to all that suggested booking with stay123. I learn something new & helpful on the cc message boards everyday.

Happy Cruising. May the seas that you travel on always be smooth.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Yesterday we booked this same hotel....for January...please if you have any problems during your stay post them....THANKS

There are risks in any big [or small for that matter] city in the world. That being said, you need no more than your normal precautions. Harbor East is newly developed and safe. To the west of this development is the Inner Harbor, also tourist safe and friendly, and easily walkable.

My one caveat is the area east of Harbor East, between it and Fells Point. There are a few blocks of warehouses, sort of a "no man's land" which hasn't been developed as yet. That small area may be "on the edge". You should visit Fells Point, akin but not the same as NYC's "Village", and the historical heart of Baltimore. Homicide. Life on the Streets had its police headquarters here. If you are nervous about going between Harbor East and Fells Point, take a short cab ride or even a water taxi. I believe a new free Circulator Bus is in or about to be in service as well.

Edited by Chesterpeake

The Charm City Circulator is in service now. You'll want the Orange Route going from Hollins Market to Harbor East. The route through Harbor East goes on Aliceanna Street to Central Avenue. It's Central Avenue that Chesterpeake described as a "no-man's land" and it can still be a little rough there (not overwhelmingly so, just be careful).

The Charm City Circulator is free. There is not currently a route between Harbor East and Fells Point - in order to go to Fells Point you will need to take alternate transportation, a cab will run you about 4 or 5 dollars (it's not too far). I believe that they are working on a water route now for the CCC, but it's still in development.

http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/route/orange-route

Edited by Cathalain

• 3 weeks later...

The water taxi might be kind of cold in the winter. But I would say definitely take a taxi to Fell's point if you are staying in Harbor East or Inner Harbor. It won't cost too much. Once at Fell's Point, I would suggest you stay within three blocks of the waterfront, especially in the evening. You could also take a cab to my neighborhood, Federal Hill. It's on the other side of the Inner Harbor and very safe with nice little shops and great restaurants. The circulator bus does go there now...the purple line.

or you might try the Peabody Court at 612 Cathedral Street, overlooking one of the four squares making up Mount Vernon Square, location of the first monument erected to George Washington, built in 1827. The area is a historic preservation area, and so beautiful and charming in its Federal and mid 19th century area you might end up doing what I did - buy a townhouse and move here. I bought mine in 1994, coming from Huntington Beach, CA and at the time thought it was either the smartest or craziest thing I have ever done. I think it was the smartest but I like classical American architecture and love living among it. PLUS, the neighborhood is pretty quiet most of the time.

It is safe to take the train from BWI to Baltimore but I would take the light rail or preferably a shuttle or taxi instead. The airport is close to Baltimore and it would be much less hassle with your luggage.

We are staying at Sleep Inn before our cruise in a few weeks, anyone know how you would get from the boat back to the airport? just take a cab? any idea how much this might cost? TIA!

Hi,

If memory serves me correctly, I think it might run $25/30. It's about a 20 minute cab ride.

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Happy cruising.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey