Port of Baltimore, where to stay?

GAHart

I am worried becaue I booked Sleep Inn and the reviews on Trip Advisor are bad.

We booked this too for ourselves and six other family members. It sounded so good with free shuttles to and from the airport and port. Has anyone stayed here and if so how was it??

I called both the sleep inn and comfort inn to reserve our precruise room and arrange to leave the car while away. Both told me they only provide shuttles to the airport and not the cruise port. We would have to take a cab or shuttle from the airport??? Anyone else been told this? We don't cruise til Feb 2011. Not sure what to do now since we still need a place to stay. Thanks for any info/input

I called both the sleep inn and comfort inn to reserve our precruise room and arrange to leave the car while away. Both told me they only provide shuttles to the airport and not the cruise port. We would have to take a cab or shuttle from the airport??? Anyone else been told this? We don't cruise til Feb 2011. Not sure what to do now since we still need a place to stay. Thanks for any info/input

As far as I'm concerned, any option that involves paying for cabs or shuttles isn't any better than just paying for parking at the port and having the convenience of having your car right there at debarkation. Not sure where you are driving in from, but even if I found a cheaper room an hour or so outside Baltimore, then drove to the port the morning of and paid to park there would be better than paying (probably more) for a room in Baltimore, only to have to pay for a shuttle as well, and then have to wait in line for the shuttle for who knows how long after the cruise. I'm not even convinced that the free shuttles from hotels that might be 15-20 minutes away are a better option than just parking at the pier, but we had a 9 hour drive, so it was worth it to us. Somebody with a 3-4 hour drive might find it more wortwhile to save some bucks.

Edited by DanJ

The Sleep Inn we have reservations at is Sleep Inn and Suites Airport. When I called (I called twice just to make sure) they told me they had a free shuttle to and from airport and also port. It also sounded like they have a shuttle to the train station but not sure on that.

We just booked the Holiday Inn Express BWI West near Arundel Mills mall. Through the hotel direct we found they offered up to 21 days of parking, shuttle to and from the port, and breakfast. Our rate was only $99 per night.

It seems a little farther from the port but it got better ratings than the Sleep and Comfort Inn and the Holiday Inn Express that is near Camden Yards.

We are not happy with any of the sleep,park,fly options. Reading the reviews it sounds like the Sleep Inn really sucks and we do know its in a lousy neighborhood. Most of the other motels mentioned in the posts are located outside the beltway near BWI...which is a twenty minute drive to the port (could be more if the traffic is bad). Our concern about these places is how long one would have to stand around the port for the transfer back to the motel (after the cruise). We are considering just parking at the port even thought it will cost us about $70 more than some of the motel deals (we are taking a 12 day cruise). We figure it will save us a lot of time and hassle after the cruise. Its really a shame that nobody can find a decent deal near the Inner Harbor or Fells Point.

Hank

We are not happy with any of the sleep,park,fly options. Reading the reviews it sounds like the Sleep Inn really sucks and we do know its in a lousy neighborhood. Most of the other motels mentioned in the posts are located outside the beltway near BWI...which is a twenty minute drive to the port (could be more if the traffic is bad). Our concern about these places is how long one would have to stand around the port for the transfer back to the motel (after the cruise). We are considering just parking at the port even thought it will cost us about $70 more than some of the motel deals (we are taking a 12 day cruise). We figure it will save us a lot of time and hassle after the cruise. Its really a shame that nobody can find a decent deal near the Inner Harbor or Fells Point.

Hank

Recently booked the Brookshire Suites at the Inner Harbor for $129 Stay and Cruise Package. This includes free breakfast, evening reception, and free shuttle from hotel to cruise terminal. We do not need the parking so not sure if this includes parking. It's worth a call to the hotel if interested.

Does anyone have any opinions on Henderson's Wharf? (1000 Fell Street)? I am thinking of booking it based on reviews and also location and the fact that it's not (or not yet) on the Bed Bug Registry.

Have friends who have stayed there and loved it! It's in a great quiet location, directly on the water and within walking distance to an abundance of shops, restaurants, bars and coffee places. There's a nice wine bistro around the corner with outdoor seating, weather permitting, of course. Million dollar plus townhomes are next to Henderson's Wharf. I have good friends who live a block from the hotel. Good choice! ;)

http://www.v-nowinebar.com/Home.htm

Street view...Henderson's Wharf is at the end of Fells Street.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&expIds=17259,26637,27060,27164,27182&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=1000+fell+street+baltimore+md&cp=8&wrapid=tljp1288192967500025&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I looked at several Park & Cruise deals but I didn't see anything I liked. The prices started at about $115 tax included. Then I would have to contend with shuttles there and back. For anything decent it was in the $160 range and I would still have to take shuttles.

So what did I do, used Priceline and got Residence Inn, 1160 Winterson Road, 3 stars, near airport, bid $46, total price $60.09. Free breakfast, free overnight parking. Parking at the port of Baltimore $105 for 7 days. Total price $165.08, nice hotel, no shuttle.

Thank you so much, Madeline Rose. That's great to hear. It can be difficult to make decisions if you do not know the area and will not have a car. I truly appreciate your response and will book Henderson's Wharf.

Have friends who have stayed there and loved it! It's in a great quiet location, directly on the water and within walking distance to an abundance of shops, restaurants, bars and coffee places. There's a nice wine bistro around the corner with outdoor seating, weather permitting, of course. Million dollar plus townhomes are next to Henderson's Wharf. I have good friends who live a block from the hotel. Good choice! ;)

Another consideration is where you are driving from. We live in PA and cannot see enduring the hassle of the shuttle to an airport hotel which is in the opposite direction from where we need to go to head home. Instead I found a Red Roof Inn for $50 in Timonium north of Baltimore for the night before the cruise and will then just park at the pier.

Thank you so much, Madeline Rose. That's great to hear. It can be difficult to make decisions if you do not know the area and will not have a car. I truly appreciate your response and will book Henderson's Wharf.

You're welcome. You made the right decision. ;)

Thank you so much, Madeline Rose.

Waswo, wanted to add that I saw one of your earlier posts about eating at your hotel. Henderson's Wharf has no restaurant. Pier 5 and Hotel Monaco do. If you choose to have dinner in Fells Point, I recommend Kali's Court, Tapas Adela, Mezze or Meli. If you want a campy relaxed atmosphere for steamed shrimp and/or mussels, I recommend John Stevens or Berthas. All of these restaurants are within walking distance, but you will walk on cobblestone streets and of course, it will be cold in January. Enjoy your cruise. ;)

The problem we are having is that our cruise is 12 days which actually means we need 13 days of parking (the way most hotels calculate parking). We are still looking for a decent downtown hotel that would include that much parking in a package but so far with no results. We can drive to the port in less than 1 1/2 hours so parking at the port remains our best option until we can find a hotel,park,cruise package that is less than the $180 charged for port parking.

Hank

We can drive to the port in less than 1 1/2 hours so parking at the port remains our best option until we can find a hotel,park,cruise package that is less than the $180 charged for port parking.Hank

Hank, you may not find what you're looking for. If you can drive in on the morning of your cruise, a hotel room may not be needed. ;)

Edited by madelinerose

Hank, you may not find what you're looking for. If you can drive in on the morning of your cruise, a hotel room may not be needed. ;)

Yeah, we are coming to that conclusion. Driving-in on the day of the cruise is very easy (we can get from home to the port in less than 1 1/2 hours) but we are not pleased with the prospect of paying $180 for parking! Hence our search for a decent park/sleep/cruise deal that apparently does not exist in Baltimore. Such is life :)

Hank

Yeah, we are coming to that conclusion. Driving-in on the day of the cruise is very easy (we can get from home to the port in less than 1 1/2 hours) but we are not pleased with the prospect of paying $180 for parking! Hence our search for a decent park/sleep/cruise deal that apparently does not exist in Baltimore. Such is life :)

Hank

We are staying at the Hyatt Place at BWI and taking the shuttle from there. Even when figuring $15/day for parking at the terminal (apparently you are figuring $20/day) it is almost the same as staying at the Hyatt Place. I think we are paying about $110 for the hotel and $5pp for the shuttle. We originall booked the Hampton Inn at BWI for $163 including parking and shuttle, which is less than the $180 parking fee that you are quoting. Now if you want to be in the inner harbor area, I don't think you will find anything less than the terminal parking fee.

Yeah, we are coming to that conclusion. Driving-in on the day of the cruise is very easy (we can get from home to the port in less than 1 1/2 hours) but we are not pleased with the prospect of paying $180 for parking! Hence our search for a decent park/sleep/cruise deal that apparently does not exist in Baltimore. Such is life :)Hank

Yes, such is life. I guess I'm just used to paying high parking rates. I have jury duty next month and will pay $20 to park for the day. I paid between $9-$13/day to park my car for over 15 years while working downtown. We recently paid $42/day for hotel valet parking in DC.

Keep looking, you never know. There are, however, only 3 hotels in downtown Baltimore that have a park & cruise package as of this moment, Holiday Inn Express on Russell Street, The Admiral Fell Inn and Pier 5. The other packages are for the BWI area hotels. ;)

Keep looking, you never know. There are, however, only 3 hotels in downtown Baltimore that have a park & cruise package as of this moment, Holiday Inn Express on Russell Street, The Admiral Fell Inn and Pier 5. The other packages are for the BWI area hotels. ;)

When I was looking at hotels for Aug 2009, I really liked the Pier 5, from what I saw online. They didn't have the 2 bedroom thing we were after at the time, but I would love to stay at this hotel if we had a couple days in Baltimore again. Can't beat the location, and the hotel just looks funky.

When I was looking at hotels for Aug 2009, I really liked the Pier 5, from what I saw online. They didn't have the 2 bedroom thing we were after at the time, but I would love to stay at this hotel if we had a couple days in Baltimore again. Can't beat the location, and the hotel just looks funky.

Hi Dan. I've never been in the rooms but have been in the lobby many times and everywhere else around the hotel. On TripAdvisor for this month there are 4 reviews, 2 good, 2 bad. I agree with the funkiness. DH and I love the Kimpton hotels and they're typically funky also. We finally have a Hotel Monaco in Baltimore. Hope you get to stay at Pier 5 sometime and report your experience back to CC. ;)

Yes, such is life. I guess I'm just used to paying high parking rates. I have jury duty next month and will pay $20 to park for the day. I paid between $9-$13/day to park my car for over 15 years while working downtown. We recently paid $42/day for hotel valet parking in DC.

Thanks for the info. By the way, with all those high taxes you pay in MD they ought to take care of the juriors. Where we live (PA) they pay us a mileage allowance (for driving to and from jury duty) and also cover our parking. And our state income tax rate is only 3.07%. Guess that is why many MD folks are now moving to PA just above the MD border.

Hank

Hello...A big thank-you to everyone who has posted on here. My wife and I will be cruising in April out of Baltimore for the very first time instead of Florida.

Trying to determine where to stay, based on our personal criteria was made easier by this thread.

Obviously, everyone has a different price range they are comfortable with for a hotel, a section of town they desire, and whether or not they are staying just to sleep the night prior, or, do more than that by exploring the area.

We decided to stay at The Henderson Wharf Inn on Fell Street. We realize it is more expensive, but a beautiful hotel. We also understand we will have to pay for a cab from the airport to hotel, hotel to port and port back to airport, however, we felt that since we will be on vacation and are spending a decent amount of money anyway, let's not skimp entirely...AND, we are not a rich couple by any stretch of the imagination.

The hotel gets great reviews, it is right next door to "The Vino" which is a great wine bar establishment to relax, the harbor is in plane view from the hotel and our room, and many shops, pubs and restaurants are also within walking distance. Plus, we understand this is a very nice area.

Again, thanks for all of the great posts. It has been very helpful to us because we were able to look up many of the hotels, etc, that all of you mentioned in your posts.

Dave