Port of Baltimore, where to stay?

GAHart

Thanks for the info. By the way, with all those high taxes you pay in MD they ought to take care of the juriors. Where we live (PA) they pay us a mileage allowance (for driving to and from jury duty) and also cover our parking.

Well, I do get $15 for jury duty. ;)

We decided to stay at The Henderson Wharf Inn on Fell Street. We realize it is more expensive, but a beautiful hotel. We also understand we will have to pay for a cab from the airport to hotel, hotel to port and port back to airport, however, we felt that since we will be on vacation and are spending a decent amount of money anyway, let's not skimp entirely...AND, we are not a rich couple by any stretch of the imagination. Dave

Amen. Enjoy quirky Fells Point and have a great cruise, Dave. ;)

Amen. Enjoy quirky Fells Point and have a great cruise, Dave. ;)

Dave made an excellent choice, Madelinerose. Quirky is a good description of Fells Point, which some of us refer to as Baltimore's version of New York's "Greenwich Village". Where else will you find a Natty Boh shop?

Did you see the AIDAluna at the cruise terminal on Wednesday? I was intrigued and did some background digging. Found out that Aida Lines of Germany is owned by Carnival. This particular ship does Caribbean sailings during this cruise season (Fall/Winter), so I suppose she was on a repositioning cruise stopping in Baltimore for local, D.C. and Annapolis excursions. So, I couldn't board and do a reverse family emigration back to Bremerhaven or Hamburg. Drats.

Dave made an excellent choice, Madelinerose. Quirky is a good description of Fells Point, which some of us refer to as Baltimore's version of New York's "Greenwich Village". Where else will you find a Natty Boh shop?

Did you see the AIDAluna at the cruise terminal on Wednesday? So, I couldn't board and do a reverse family emigration back to Bremerhaven or Hamburg. Drats.

Hi John...I agree with Dave's choice. Gotta love that Natty Boh! ;)

No, didn't see the ship. So sorry you couldn't board.

Back in July, someone asked for comments about the Fairfield Inn and Suites in White Marsh, which has gotten very good reviews on Trip Advisor and offers free parking and shuttle service to and from the Port of Baltimore. There were no responses that I could see. Can anyone provide feedback on what appears to be a good deal?

George +

Back in July, someone asked for comments about the Fairfield Inn and Suites in White Marsh, which has gotten very good reviews on Trip Advisor and offers free parking and shuttle service to and from the Port of Baltimore. There were no responses that I could see. Can anyone provide feedback on what appears to be a good deal?George +

Hi George...here's a CC post from September 7.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25981167&postcount=2

We were just there on the package -- hotel was fine, free parking was great, shuttle was practically nonexistent. There was no ordering of departures in the am, so quite a zoo of people. We waited about 45 min. outside in a line, saw only 1 shuttle going to the airport, and decided to share a taxi van to the cruiseport with another couple. Decided to take a cab ($30) back as well rather than wait for hours. At least the free parking for 11 days made up for it.

We were just there on the package -- hotel was fine, free parking was great, shuttle was practically nonexistent. There was no ordering of departures in the am, so quite a zoo of people. We waited about 45 min. outside in a line, saw only 1 shuttle going to the airport, and decided to share a taxi van to the cruiseport with another couple. Decided to take a cab ($30) back as well rather than wait for hours. At least the free parking for 11 days made up for it.

Thank you so much for some current information. What's amazing is this is one the hotels marketed for their stay park cruise package that INCLUDES the shuttle.

Makes me glad we looked a little further rather than just booking the easiest to find.

Someone in August commented that they had no issue with the Shuttle (and they had 11 people). We are staying here in February so I hope we don't have the same issues with the shuttle as you.

I recommend anyone staying near BWI to treat yourself to crabcakes from G&M. I was recommended this place by a local and have never been disappointed (I make sure to either stop and eat there or buy un-cooked cakes for the 90 minute ride home). They are right up the street from most of the BWI hotels.

Someone in August commented that they had no issue with the Shuttle (and they had 11 people). We are staying here in February so I hope we don't have the same issues with the shuttle as you.

I recommend anyone staying near BWI to treat yourself to crabcakes from G&M. I was recommended this place by a local and have never been disappointed (I make sure to either stop and eat there or buy un-cooked cakes for the 90 minute ride home). They are right up the street from most of the BWI hotels.

We will be there in Feb as well and was thinking it was a great find. Hope it works out!!

The crab cakes sound great we'll have to try them.

I have no intention of starting a "Who Has the Best Crab Cakes" war. I just want to mention that while G&M does have good crabcakes, if it is crowded or you have more than one occasion to eat out in the BWI area, just up the street from G&M is another restaurant, Olive Grove, which also has very very good crabcakes.

http://www.olivegroverestaurant.com/map_baltimore_rehersal_parties_linthicum_bwi_anne_arundel_county_md.php

I think probably 10 restaurants or even more must receive the "Best Crabcakes" award label each year in the Baltimore area. They all advertise that they have been voted the best. If not the best, you can rest assured that they are among the best.

I have no intention of starting a "Who Has the Best Crab Cakes" war. I just want to mention that while G&M does have good crabcakes, if it is crowded or you have more than one occasion to eat out in the BWI area, just up the street from G&M is another restaurant, Olive Grove, which also has very very good crabcakes.

http://www.olivegroverestaurant.com/map_baltimore_rehersal_parties_linthicum_bwi_anne_arundel_county_md.php

I think probably 10 restaurants or even more must receive the "Best Crabcakes" award label each year in the Baltimore area. They all advertise that they have been voted the best. If not the best, you can rest assured that they are among the best.

Thanks for the suggestion, We might try Olive Grove while we are there. I'm not a local so I won't profess to know all the best places, just that I make it a point to go to G & M whenever I'm near B'more. G & M does get ridiculously crowded and truth be told, we don't eat there as much as we buy the uncooked cakes and take them home and cook them. We will definitely stop into G&M after our cruise before heading home.

We stayed there last January and LOVED it. They have a ghost tour on the weekend which was really interesting and they also serve tea in the afternoon. The staff was the best we have ever encountered in any hotel stay. Have fun! (If you are sensitive to noise, ask for a quiet room.)

Hi. This will be for next June. We are flying in the day before departure from the West Coast with our 3 kids (age range 10 to 17). We won't have a car. I've read this thread and a lot of it concerns parking, which we don't need.

However, the idea of a shuttle from the hotel to port would be desirable and we'd like to located such that we can explore some things on foot (or trolley, bus, whatever) the afternoon that we arrive and the morning of sailing.

Budget isn't really an issue, but we'll probably need two rooms; so spending a lot (say $200 or more for each room) since it's just one night wouldn't be our first choice. Anyplace that could possibly accomodate 5 people in one room would be a plus.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The problem we are having is that our cruise is 12 days which actually means we need 13 days of parking (the way most hotels calculate parking). We are still looking for a decent downtown hotel that would include that much parking in a package but so far with no results. We can drive to the port in less than 1 1/2 hours so parking at the port remains our best option until we can find a hotel,park,cruise package that is less than the $180 charged for port parking.

Hank

Check Fairfield White Marsh. It was very nice, included parking and took us to the pier and picked us up at the end. Total was $146.00. That was last year. Very nice hotel. Quite new and fabulous location.

Hi. This will be for next June. We are flying in the day before departure from the West Coast with our 3 kids (age range 10 to 17). We won't have a car. I've read this thread and a lot of it concerns parking, which we don't need.

However, the idea of a shuttle from the hotel to port would be desirable and we'd like to located such that we can explore some things on foot (or trolley, bus, whatever) the afternoon that we arrive and the morning of sailing.

Budget isn't really an issue, but we'll probably need two rooms; so spending a lot (say $200 or more for each room) since it's just one night wouldn't be our first choice. Anyplace that could possibly accomodate 5 people in one room would be a plus.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Susan,

Take a look at the three hotels in the "Harbor Magic" group. They all have great locations (especially Pier V Hotel). They offer shuttle to the Port for those who park there; am almost certain those without a car could also sign up for the shuttle. Might be in your price range.

Their website: http://www.harbormagic.com/

Susan, Take a look at the three hotels in the "Harbor Magic" group. They all have great locations (especially Pier V Hotel). They offer shuttle to the Port for those who park there; am almost certain those without a car could also sign up for the shuttle. Might be in your price range. Their website: http://www.harbormagic.com/

Hi John...Pier 5 doesn't offer the Stay & Cruise package.

http://www.harbormagic.com/cruise/index.asp

Happy Thanksgiving to you. ;)

Check Fairfield White Marsh. It was very nice, included parking and took us to the pier and picked us up at the end. Total was $146.00. That was last year. Very nice hotel. Quite new and fabulous location.

Thanks for the tip. We did check-out their latest deal and they show a $219 rate (+tax) which is not a bad deal....but still more money than simply parking at the port. This sure seems like a great option for those who cannot drive-in the day of their cruise.

Hank