Worst San Juan Airline Check-In Line?

Perki

Any experienced travelers tell me which Airline has the worst/best lines leaving San Juan? I have several to choose from Continental, US Airways, American, etc as there are no direct flights to/from Vegas... Just wondering if any is better than any other as far as getting thru the lines quicker and with fewer headaches. Right now they are all running within $10/$20pp so no real difference there and all run about 9-10hrs so time isn't a factor either, and most run thru souther cities (Houston, DFW, CLT, MIA) so weather won't be a factor either. So if one is smoother than another that could make the difference. Thank you!

I always fly American and usually don't have a problem, but last time we flew to San Juan, they lost our luggage ( it was actually just temporarily misplaced for about two hours). Not a great way to start a vacation, but on the bright side, it had to get better. It's not the airline though, it's the port. There is ALWAYS a problem coming and going to San Juan. They are just totally unorganized, and definitely on "island time and mentality" and basically just don't care whether you get your bags, whether you get to your destination on time, etc. So good luck!

We have flown American, Delta and Contential. Would not fly Delta, workers there are not helpful at all. American has the most flights to and from major cities so that may be a something to consider. Continental was ok, but not a major carrier in San Juan.....

Did you know that if you fly American, and take the transfer from the ship to the airport you can now check your luggage when you get off the ship? Nice if you want to forego the transfer bus and do some other things before your flight. When we got to the airport we did the self check in with American and had no problems.

If you are flying American you can also pull your boarding passes off the internet before you disembark....do baggage checkin at the pier/curbside....and then just go through security.

Wow, American isn't sounding too bad right now. CAnderson, I considered that United flight but one could chance it, even in the middle of April, with a freak storm and get stuck or delayed or something that is why I'm trying to stay in Southern connecting cities - less chance of delays/cancellations due to weather...would hate to be late for my vacation! tee hee. Thank you everyone for all the great tips and information!

Wow, American isn't sounding too bad right now. CAnderson, I considered that United flight but one could chance it, even in the middle of April, with a freak storm and get stuck or delayed or something that is why I'm trying to stay in Southern connecting cities - less chance of delays/cancellations due to weather...would hate to be late for my vacation! tee hee. Thank you everyone for all the great tips and information!
I've had enough grief with mechanicals etc. even in good weather so that I'm starting to make a habit of flying in a day early. Especially for SJU: There aren't that many ways to get to SJU same-day from west of the Mississippi, so it's a higher risk for us than the east coast folks (they can leave far later in the day and still make it) in any case. Most of the departure ports are of sufficient interest in themselves, so the "day ahead" thing has been pretty good.

Archived