Dining times and table sizes?

jenjaye

Hi - I'm going on my honeymoon on the Adventure of the Seas in May. We need to decide between the small or large tables, and the main or late seating. Any thoughts on which is better? Can you get a 2 person table on the AOS?

We have done the smaller table but have found that we enjoy a table for 8 the most. We have made new friends, and stayed in contact with some great people that we sat with at dinner on our cruises. Honeymoon``````should make for some great conversation. There will pleanty of time for dinners with just the 2 of you later.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I think all of the ships have tables for 2, but they are very hard to come by. If you really want a table for 2, have your TA tell RCI that you're honeymooners, which might help. Then, when you board, check your seating assignment and, if you didn't get it, ask the maitre d' (who should be available for an hour or two that afternoon) to change you. He/she may or may not be able to accomodate you. Ask sweetly, that goes a long way!

We always opt for a large table. It can be a lot of fun, and you don't risk having dinner with one other couple that you don't like - we've had that happen to us, and it was very awkward. Fortunately, it was a short cruise, and we each ate elsewhere one night.

Whether to pick late or early depends. We usually eat at 7:30-8:00 at home, so we go for the late seating (nothing's perfect). We're also too full to take advantage of the midnight buffet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Usually the dining times are 6:00 and 8:30, sometimes 6:30 for main seating.

If this is a Caribbean cruise, I would bet that main seating will be more popular (lots of families w/kids), so it will be harder to change your table. On our last cruise (Baja), we had late and the maitre d' was able to put us at a table set for 4 and block out the other 2 seats. We liked it, but for a longer cruise, I actually would prefer to get to know some other tablemates.

If you want to get away from a crowd for an intimate dinner, you could go to one of the specialty restaurants or find a quiet corner in the Windjammer (ok, not really romantic, but you'd be alone with each other).

We are taking our honeymoon cruise in April and the late seating is booked up. We live in central time zone, so early seating is like 5pm for us. I guess it would be worse if we live on the west coast. The TA told me to try again closer to the cruise.

The early seating may be hard to make sometimes if you maximize your time on the islands. Sometimes it can be hard to get back on the ship, get all dressed up and make it on time to the early seating.

With the late seating, we can get back on board, have a cocktail and watch the ship leave the harbour, take a nap, meet the group for a pre-dinner cocktail and eat dinner at 8:30. So we always do the late seating.

My suggestion; late seating ,you'll be able to linger at the pool or at the port, you're young right?? A table for 8 or more is great. Twenty years ago we met some great people on our honeymoon. There's plenty of time on the cruise to be alone. Enjoy sharing your experiences with people from all over while at dinner! Enjoy! Enjoy!

Unless you are really "early to bed" people I would go with the late seating. You don't have to rush back from shore excursions or etc. to get ready for dinner. You can enjoy the sunset in the Viking Crown Lounge or elsewhere which is a wonderful experience. You can stay at the pool when it clears out! It's just a more leisurely day. The only downside is that you need to stay up later so you digest a bit before going to bed. And you are usually not interested in the midnight buffet, except to view it.

The later seating is also less rushed because the waiters are not worried about getting rid of you before the next group comes in. You can really talk to them, which is very interesting.

I also like larger tables because you meet interesting people - our last cruise was a table for 10 and we all became good friends. And if one couple is a bore, it doesn't really matter.

go for late seating, large table.

My DW and I have cruised alone, with couples, and with our kids. We always have been happy with late seating (don't have to rush back from shore) and larger tables (we like to meet people, and even eat in the formal dining rooms at breakfast and lunch to do so).

For a while we thought "Maybe these people we meet are really annoyed by us," but on every cruise, we run into people we eat with and they are eager to chat with us and often get our address or e-mail so they can send pictures or Christmas cards ... we've even gotten together with others when we cruise by minivan.

The key, I think, is that I'm an incredible BSer, and my wife is as good looking and sweet as they come. Our children appear to be polite (hey, a week without chores). In other words, we're like Ward and June Cleaver when we're on the boat.

At home, more like Peg and Al Bundy.

Archived