Diabetic question...

ernie530

My fiance and I are going on a cruise in just over 3 weeks for our honeymoon.

He is a diabetic and has the pump. Does anyone know how the pump affects excursions? He can only be off of it for like an hour or so and even then I am afraid with where he will put it!

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!

~Erin

Erin, I have not been on my cruise yet but have been on many water based vacations. I've also been on a pump for about 20 years. What I do is just unhook myself from my pump right before heading to the water and just take short acting insulin to cover my needs. In your fiance's case he could leave the pump on the ship, but right before you left take a regular injection. If you think you're going to be away from the ship most of the day then just take some nph instead. Then reconnect the pump that evening. If he talks to his doctor before you leave he can find out how much insulin the doc recommends he takes. It's really not complicated and there is no reason you can't still enjoy all of the excursions you want. Believe me, my diabetes doesn't stop me from doing anything everyone else does. I just have to do a little more planning that's all. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Everyone have a good one,

Sue

You may also want to make sure you have some kind of snack with you in case you are out on an excursion and not around readily accessible food. Sometimes you can be delayed getting back to the ship and there isn't always a restaurant around.

I have not been on a cruise with my pump (14 years) but have been to Hawaii several times with one. When snorkeling I left it on the boat or in a beach bag on the beach if I was with someone. If I was by myself I left it at the hotel but absolutely brought my testing stuff. I always test before I go and at least 45 min to 1 hour while out in the water.

I am not sure what excursions you are doing but I would caution the use of injecting Humalog or R before snorkeling just in case of a hypoglycemic reaction in the water. I am sure he knows his body best and between him and his MD they could come up with a good, safe plan.

I have not been on a cruise with my pump (14 years) but have been to Hawaii several times with one. When snorkeling I left it on the boat or in a beach bag on the beach if I was with someone. If I was by myself I left it at the hotel but absolutely brought my testing stuff. I always test before I go and at least 45 min to 1 hour while out in the water.

I am not sure what excursions you are doing but I would caution the use of injecting Humalog or R before snorkeling just in case of a hypoglycemic reaction in the water. I am sure he knows his body best and between him and his MD they could come up with a good, safe plan.

:o I guess you can tell I've been dealing with this for awhile. I didn't think to say anything about testing first and during excursions, just assumed he would automatically do it. And also assumed he wouldn't do any changes without talking to his doc first. I apologize for maybe causing any confusion or giving wrong advice especially if he is new to diabetes or to using a pump. One thing that I do that I know anyone diabetic can do, is I get the small tubes of the gel glucose and have dh keep them in the pocket of his swim trunks. That way you have easy access to glucose if you need it without trying to find a place to keep snacks and things.

Erin, I think this is something that needs to be discussed with his physician and not with strangers on a public board. None of us know is particular conditions and taking advice from anyone other than a doctor could be dangerous.

Thank you for all your comments. I am the new one to diabetes....he has had it all his life. Even after 4 yrs of being together I just can't get it like I wish I could.

He has been on the pump a little over a year and a half...so it is relatively new to him. They are still working out all the kinks with it but it has been going failry well. But I am very nervous about it with this trip....he is not.

He has a doctor appointment before we leave. I am sure they will talk about it then....more for my sake than his probably.

:-)

HI Erin!

My dh, Jerry, has been type I since age 3. When we started dating and things got serious, he introduced me to his doc and we all sat around and talked about diabetes. I also started to go to local diabetes support group meetings. When we got engaged, he made me practice giving shots to an orange, then had me give him his injections. By the time we got married and onto the honeymoon, I was an old pro.

We've been married now for 17 years and are lifelong partners in his diabetes management. I am constantly reading and researching new advances in all areas of the issue. It can be a scary disease especially if you don't know how things work. :confused: But, it IS manageable if you are kept in the loop.

I would talk to your dh, I mean fiance :), and ask to be included in the up coming doctors visit. Tell him that you have a lot of questions and want to be involved first hand. You WILL be his caregiver very soon - Congratulations!!

Thank you for all your comments. I am the new one to diabetes....he has had it all his life. Even after 4 yrs of being together I just can't get it like I wish I could.

He has been on the pump a little over a year and a half...so it is relatively new to him. They are still working out all the kinks with it but it has been going failry well. But I am very nervous about it with this trip....he is not.

He has a doctor appointment before we leave. I am sure they will talk about it then....more for my sake than his probably.

:-)

I've had diabetes since I was five (am now 30) and I've had a pump the last 4 years. I usually talk with my doc before going on vacation and get a prescription for a long acting insulin (in my case we use Lantus). So for a day that my excursions are going to be water centric (like in Belize) I will take the Lantus in the morning and go without my pump (like I did before I had the pump). Usually I end up testing more and the Lantus lasts for 24 hours. The next morning I will then go back on my pump if the excursions aren't as much in the water. The biggest thing is to talk to your doctor about your options before you go.

I also am new to being diabetic. I just started taking a pre filled injection. This small pen must be kept cold and Im wondering how I do this when traveling on a plane ? Do you need special permission to take a pack of frozen fluid to keep your supplies cold ? Thanks

I also am new to being diabetic. I just started taking a pre filled injection. This small pen must be kept cold and Im wondering how I do this when traveling on a plane ? Do you need special permission to take a pack of frozen fluid to keep your supplies cold ? Thanks

I usually have a note from my doctor stating that I'm diabetic and have needles/insulin supplies. Your pen kit will be fine for the flight. You shouldn't need to pack it with cold packs.

Archived