Does suggested tipping Per Guest Include Children?

This will be our first time to use Adventure Ocean.....what does one usually tip them? I'm not even sure how many staff will be in there with the 6 year olds. Do you tip every day, or wait til the end of the week?

Thanks for the info.

While we are on the subject, can someone tell me what would be an appropriate amount to tip the counselors in the Adventure Club. Do you pay them daily or at the end of the cruise? How much??

My kids are spoiled...22 and 18 on our next cruise and I wouldnt think of asking my kids to pay their way...its a family holiday together.

I wouldn't say at all that your kids are "spoiled". If yours are, ours are too. We just cruised Oasis for a week and we paid for their cruise fare including tips, and their air fare to fly down. We took a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for 3 days pre-cruise, and paid for most of their meals on land. They are 19 and 24. And like you said, it's a family holiday together and it was fabulous. We invited them. We all work and school hard and it was so great to have that time to all be together. We had a blast. :)

Just speaking for myself. I tip the recommended amount plus a bit extra to the people the cruise line recommends. My kids spend time in the kids program but I don't tip the counselors. I spend a lot of time taking photos but I don't tip the photographers.

While I gladly tip at least the recommended amount, I do not think the fare or tip should the same for adults and children. I am not used to paying equal rate when vacationing with my kids elsewhere. However this vacation calls for it, so be it. I DO spend a lot of time cleaning up after my kids because the space is not big enough for us to coexist without doing so. The steward is not allowed in the room when my kids are in and out. Therefore my cabin is cleaned usually at the end of the day, when we are at dinner. I get extra towels from the cart when needed. My kids pay for their own soda card.

I agree, no matter the age, tipping is for all.

:cool: My kids are spoiled...22 and 18 on our next cruise and I wouldnt think of asking my kids to pay their way...its a family holiday together.

I guess my kids are spoiled also. They are 17, 21 and 24 but one is in high school and two are in college. The reality is, if we didn't pay, they couldn't go. I haven't really thought about what we'll do when they are on their own but I imagine if we can afford it, it would be our pleasure to treat them. I'm pretty sure they will each have their own on board account if nothing else. I could see that getting out of hand...

I guess my kids are spoiled also. They are 17, 21 and 24 but one is in high school and two are in college. The reality is, if we didn't pay, they couldn't go. I haven't really thought about what we'll do when they are on their own but I imagine if we can afford it, it would be our pleasure to treat them. I'm pretty sure they will each have their own on board account if nothing else. I could see that getting out of hand...

I still remember my first vacation that I had to raise my own funds. I was 26 and my sister 24. Mom and my sister and I planned a week long trip to Disneyworld. Mom offered each of us 500 towards the trip, and we produced the rest. But I had a fulltime job by then of course. So I thought it was a heck of a good deal.

As kids though, we never had an extravagant vacation and we didn't really know what we were missing. Had my first cruise at age 33...now I'm spoiled! Ha! And our kid goes with us, so we are spoiling him too! It makes for some fun memories!

If any of you have booked directly through Royal, you might consider transferring your reservation before final payment is due to a TA who offers prepaid tips. I haven't used a TA in years but I did this on our last cruise and saved several hundred dollars with very little effort.

This will be our first time to use Adventure Ocean.....what does one usually tip them? I'm not even sure how many staff will be in there with the 6 year olds. Do you tip every day, or wait til the end of the week?

Thanks for the info.

Our kids are well past the age for Adventure Ocean and I will leave it to them to determine how much is an appropriate tip for the AO counsellors when they cruise with their kids. However, in response to your question, I would wait until the end (or near the end)of your cruise before giving tips to the counselors. By that time you will have answers to your question about the number of staff involved with your kids, and the relative value of their attention. I would also probably give one tip and allow the staff to divvy it up as they felt appropriate.:) However, if one of the counsellors seemed especially attentive to your kids and added considerably to their enjoyment of the experience, you might offer that person and added gratuity in appreciation for their efforts.:)

Archived