Wedding dress on the plane

Hey ladies! I was just wondering how past brides got their dress on the plane? Were you allowed to bring a carry on as well, or was your dress the carry on? What air lines have you used & what was your experience?

Future brides- what are your plans for your dress? Have you found out any info. from airlines on their policy?

Thanks!

Your wedding dress will be considered your carry-on (you can also have a personal item like a purse, tote, laptop bag--that must fit under the seat in front of you).

Many planes no longer have closets so dresses often have to be put in the overhead bin. Remember that on some smaller planes (regional jets, etc.) that are used a lot the bins would not accommodate a large wedding dress. Even if you are flying on a plane where you should be able to keep it with you and plan to put it in the overhead bin, have a backup plan in case you have to check it last minute (that can happen--different aircraft type, full overhead bins, etc.).

Also, check the overhead bins before putting a dress in there. I've seen bins with stuff spilled in them, dirt, etc.

We ended up driving to the port vs flying but when I was checking some airlines did have closets that would accommodate the dress and they said I could still bring on the personal item. One said that I could bring a carry on - the dress and a personal item and one they said there would be a 25.00 fee for the dress....

Best thing to really do is just take the time and make the calls. I would tell you which airlines said what but unfortunately that isn't one of the files that made it through my reformat last month.

Thanks ladies! Well I heard back from Air Tran last night & the lady told me I could bring my dress, carry on & a personal item (purse). She also said I could see about getting priority boarding so I can get on the plane before other people so I'd have my own overhead compartment.

Thanks ladies! Well I heard back from Air Tran last night & the lady told me I could bring my dress, carry on & a personal item (purse). She also said I could see about getting priority boarding so I can get on the plane before other people so I'd have my own overhead compartment.

Wow. I am really surprised they will let you take the gown AND your carry-ons. I sure hope that is reliable info.

I travel frequently (though not on AirTran) and the airlines seem to be getting more and more strict about what you can bring onboard. Many times, I have seen gate agents stop passengers and make them either check a bag, or consolidate their bags. Another concern -- with the new fees for checked baggage, passengers are taking full advantage of the carry on allowance. Very often there is not sufficent overhead space and passengers are forced to check their carry-on bags. On one recent flight, at least 30 rollaboards were checked at the gate because the bins were full. Definitely ask for priority boarding so you can have first dibs on overhead space.

Is there anyone else out there who's travelled recently with AirTran who can confirm this policy?

I traveled us air last year for our flight to Miami for the cruise and they let me do priority boarding so I could get my dress in the closet on board. The flight attendents were more than happy to help out, I however did not have another carry on, just the dress and my purse...

When we got married 2 1/2 years ago, we travelled by plane from Washington to Florida. I had 1 layover, and before getting on each plane, I checked with the pilot to see if I could store it in the cockpit with them. They tend to have more room up there, so I would try asking them if you can store it there. Just a thought

Archived