WiFi- and satellite out of range.

bazzaw

I have read somewhere that one of the "problems" with using WiFi for connection to the Internet on P&O ships is it's high cost and slowness of operation. I have further read that this problem often relates more to an inability to connect to the Internet - even though it has been quick and easy to connect to the ships system. The high cost seems to be caused by the fact that online charges are charged while you are connected to the ships system - but not necessarily connected to the Internet.

I have noted that P&O UK ships webcams are often offline - with a statement "out of satellite range" - even though the vessel is in the Mediterranean. I have not noticed this situation with P&O Australian ships .

So I am wondering if there is a danger - when attempting to connect to the Internet - that it simply cannot be done if the ship is out of satellite range - and could therefore incur high costs in endeavouring to do an impossible task.

Does anybody know if there is any indication - when attempting to use the WiFi system - that the ship is out of range??

Barry

We had good internet reception almost throughout our W Mediterranean cruise on Ventura. The exception of the time in Gibraltar and a few hours either side. I spoke to the internet centre manager about it, and he said this was a common problem at Gibraltar - presumably because of the mountains.

I guess my question is - is there any way to know that the ship is out of satellite range, before spending an expensive 15 minutes in vain trying to connect to the Internet.

Barry

I guess my question is - is there any way to know that the ship is out of satellite range, before spending an expensive 15 minutes in vain trying to connect to the Internet.

Barry

I've always used my own laptop on whichever ship I've been on, so any emails/blog posts etc that I've wanted to send or post have been composed when I've been off-line. Then I've connected to the ship's network by trying to go on-line, e.g. onto the BBC News website. As soon as I try to do this I get intercepted by a log in process. Then after completing the login process I retry the website, which either comes up (most times) or doesn't (very occasionally). If it doesn't, then I've just logged out of the ship's network. At most I've used up a minute of my internet time. The crucial thing is to log out of the ship's network if there's a problem.

Thanks Tom - yes , I think your procedure is the one to follow. I have heard stories of people spending 35UKP trying to check their bank balance :o - perhaps they were indeed trying to connect to the internet when there was actually no Internet available to connect to.

A trap for young players!!!:eek:

Barry

Morning everyone.

I am really pleased this question came up and have gained some valuable tips on laptop/internet useon board P&O...thank you.

Could someone kindly also confirm rough costs for internet use (bringing own laptop) on board. Are there packages available on board and does it differ by ship?

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

Might be worth asking the internet center manager first what the internet connection is like at that time prior to trying to log on.

I am taking my netbook on world sector and will do as suggested above and compose everything on netbook and just cut and paste when logged into internet to save time connected to minimise time used on their expensive package prices. Will use in ports at free wifi places already researched too.

""Will use in ports at free wifi places already researched too""

:D

Some places, Auckland for example, the ship ties up alongside 'hot spots' provided for the locals which are free and you can access it from your laptop on board :D

However many of the stops are at container terminals and you get nothing, (except a view of miles and miles of containers) :(

We always take our netbook on cruises and do what has been suggested....go into Outlook Express offline and type out emails and they go into Outbox (because we're offline) then as soon as we connect they go automatically and others come in..... we don't bother to read any... just disconnect as soon as all have arrived and read at our leisure offline....it's quite simple and not expensive at all....we always PAYG and its usually no more than £2 a time .

Obviously if you want to check bank accounts and generally surf the web it will cost more but we use it solely for checking and sending emails and downloading photos. :)

If there is no satellite in range it will not connect so will not cost anything....

Question. Are they still doing the offer of more minutes if you sign up for time as soon as you board?

Well, they were in May. I think I booked the biggest package on the first afternoon and got an extra 20 minutes, but I can't remember the exact details. As a result of booking the biggest package I was also given an ethernet cable, so I was able to connect the laptop direct into the network in the cabin - there's an ethernet socket up behind the TV. That said, I also took the laptop down to the coffee bar and the atrium several times, and had no trouble connecting via the ship's wifi system in those locations.

"And anyway, if you can't connect, you won't be paying surely?"

"If there is no satellite in range it will not connect so will not cost anything "

Well, this is what I am trying to ascertain. I have read that in fact it does cost you -IF you are connected to the ships system , but not connected to the Internet. It doesn't sound right to me - and would be exceedingly unfair if so - but I have read it in a number of places and even here , Tom has said "The crucial thing is to log out of the ship's network if there's a problem. "

So - it appears that the jury is still out on this question??

Barry

"And anyway, if you can't connect, you won't be paying surely?"

"If there is no satellite in range it will not connect so will not cost anything "

Well, this is what I am trying to ascertain. I have read that in fact it does cost you -IF you are connected to the ships system , but not connected to the Internet. It doesn't sound right to me - and would be exceedingly unfair if so - but I have read it in a number of places and even here , Tom has said "The crucial thing is to log out of the ship's network if there's a problem. "

So - it appears that the jury is still out on this question??

Barry

I'm pretty sure that it was indeed connection to the ship's system that you bought. That gives you access to a number of resources - if you use the cybercentre PCs I think you can download photos onto a storag area, and then get a CD burnt - and one of those resources is connection to the internet. However, that's not guaranteed to be available, depending on connectivity to the satellite. So once you've logged in to the ship's netowrk, your minutes are being used up. Hence the point I made about using my laptop off-line.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can use a cybercentre PC in the same way. In order to get to any PC resources e.g. Wordpad (to compose something) you have to be logged into the ship's network, and therefore you're using minutes. When you're logged out of a cybercentre PC, it's effectively dead - all you can see is a login screen, and all you can do is, umm, log in....

Hi Tom UK

Your comment below relates to Ventura I guess, but would be interested if you can log onto P & O system on Arcadia as this is your next cruise.

I was also given an ethernet cable, so I was able to connect the laptop direct into the network in the cabin - there's an ethernet socket up behind the TV

When is your next Arcadia cruise by the way.

Archived