Ice Tea

mrs.smack

Just curious if the free iced tea is available unsweetened or made with an artificial sweetener?

its unsweetened. sugar and artificial sweeteners all kinds are available to sweeten to your taste. It is strong.

Lemons are usually served with it in the dining rooms and there is usually a dish of lemons next to the Iced Tea station in the buffets.

NCL's iced tea is the best I have ever had! And since I don't drink coffee or much pop, I live on Iced Tea and have had all kinds.

Or you can do what I do... 1/2 tea, 1/2 lemonade. Ala Arnold Palmer.

- IT Geek

Ok, I have to tell this funny story from our cruise on the POAm last week.

Not everyone knows what an "Arnold Palmer" is. A friend in our group ordered an "Arnold Palmer" at dinner and had to try and explain what it was. The waiter came back with a drink from the bar.... it was the "NCL Golf Special" of the day. (we had a great laugh at that one...lol).

Not everyone knows what an "Arnold Palmer" is. A friend in our group ordered an "Arnold Palmer" at dinner and had to try and explain what it was. The waiter came back with a drink from the bar.... it was the "NCL Golf Special" of the day. (we had a great laugh at that one...lol).

Now that's funny. Did he pay for that Golf Special?

BTW... w/o something else added to it, I hate, and I mean loathe NCL's tea. I think it's horrid. It's made from tea concentrate in the same machines that reconstitute the orange juice and cranberry juice.

I can get by w/ it by ordering a lemonade and splitting it. I've also been known to make my own lemonade in the buffet. On trick if you're using real sugar... dissolve it in a little bit of hot water first before mixing it w/ ice, water and lemon juice. Same goes for sweetening the tea. Otherwise you'll spend 10 minutes trying to dissolve the sugar and still have grains of sugar at the bottom of the glass. NCL has crystal sugar in their packets, not the semi-powdered stuff found in some restaurants.

- IT Geek

You haven't done that on NCL ships...they don't have lemonade.

You can order it from the bar or any bar waiter. I need 1 glass of lemonade per glass of tea. If I'm not in a hurry, I make my own from the lemon wedges.

And yes, I know Carnival has free lemonade in the buffet. Not what I'm talking about.

- IT Geek

Did the lemonade cost extra? It's not a soda, so I'm hoping it's included with the water, tea and coffee.

Any idea what type of sweeteners are onboard? My hubby is a big fan of Splenda, he'll use anything, but it's just nice to know.

Thanks!

Did the lemonade cost extra? It's not a soda, so I'm hoping it's included with the water, tea and coffee.

Any idea what type of sweeteners are onboard? My hubby is a big fan of Splenda, he'll use anything, but it's just nice to know.

Lemonade is charged like juice. IIRC, I think that's the same price as soda but I've never bought a soda onboard. I don't drink carbonation.

Sweeteners, IIRC again, pink, blue, yellow. I only use sugar so never paid much attention. Hypoglycemic, so can't use artificial sweeteners w/o getting a headache.

- IT Geek

Now that's funny. Did he pay for that Golf Special?

BTW... w/o something else added to it, I hate, and I mean loathe NCL's tea. I think it's horrid. It's made from tea concentrate in the same machines that reconstitute the orange juice and cranberry juice.

I can get by w/ it by ordering a lemonade and splitting it. I've also been known to make my own lemonade in the buffet. On trick if you're using real sugar... dissolve it in a little bit of hot water first before mixing it w/ ice, water and lemon juice. Same goes for sweetening the tea. Otherwise you'll spend 10 minutes trying to dissolve the sugar and still have grains of sugar at the bottom of the glass. NCL has crystal sugar in their packets, not the semi-powdered stuff found in some restaurants.

- IT Geek

No, he didn't pay for the golf special. He doesn't drink alcohol!

As far as no Lemonaide.... the ordered Arnold Palmers most of the week for dinner and got them with no questions (or mistakes..lol). He did not have to pay for them either so I don't know where the Lemonaide came from.

The waiter with the "golf drink" was one of the few we met during the week who didn't speak as good of English as the rest. I'm not sure where he was from. (Puerto Rico?). He was AN EXCELLENT waiter however. One of the best we had all week! Quick and efficient.

As an iceteaholic, we drink lots of ice tea. NCL's ice tea is really strong ... so I usually ask for glass of ice which allows me to mix my tea with water. When we get a craving for real ice tea we order hot tea and a couple of glasses of ice - making our own fresh ice tea.

You can order it from the bar or any bar waiter. I need 1 glass of lemonade per glass of tea. If I'm not in a hurry, I make my own from the lemon wedges.

And yes, I know Carnival has free lemonade in the buffet. Not what I'm talking about.

- IT Geek

Well it's exactly what I'm talking about. NCL doesn't have (free) lemonade in its buffets or dining rooms, while some other cruise lines do. The original question was about the free iced tea.

The original question was about the free iced tea.

Yep, and I was talking about how I tolerate the free iced tea. It just so happens it costs me money. But only 1/2 as much as if I was drinking sodas.

- IT Geek

Lemonade is charged like juice. IIRC, I think that's the same price as soda but I've never bought a soda onboard. I don't drink carbonation.

Sweeteners, IIRC again, pink, blue, yellow. I only use sugar so never paid much attention. Hypoglycemic, so can't use artificial sweeteners w/o getting a headache.

- IT Geek

Thanks for the tip about the lemonade. Never heard of an "Arnold Palmer" before tonight. But, now that I have, I'll remember your tip when ordering the iced tea. If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have never thought about it.

Thanks for your help about the sweetners, too! DH is diabetic and can't have real sugar. In regards to juice, OJ and such is free at breakfast, right?

Sorry for all the questions, first-timer here :o

Juice at breakfast = OJ and cranberry. If you're in the buffet, sometimes you can get lucky at lunch. Just remember where the juice was in the AM and try it at lunch. They take the labels off after breakfast. If it wasn't emptied at breakfast, sometimes you can score juice at lunch. I've had my best luck w/ that in the outside Garden Cafe.

- IT Geek

Archived