multiple entrees, appetizers, desserts, etc.

doak

We have taken our kids on 2 Carnival cruises. On the first one they mostly ordered off the kids menu, but would try an entree once in awhile. My son requested milk as his beverage of choice the first night and then told the waiter he needed 2 milks as they were rather small. He also only wanted vanilla ice cream. Well each night he got 2 milks and only vanilla ice cream, even though the waiter tried very hard to get him to eat a different dessert. Toward the end of the cruise, both kids caught on to the fact they could order whatever they wanted off the menu and as many as they wanted, but DS who was 6 at the time, decided he wanted pasta one night.

I explained he could have what ever he wanted as long as it was off the kids or adult menu (before they had pasta on every menu). The waiter overheard and told DS he could have pasta, what kind did he want? DS just wanted pasta, olive oil, garlic and cheese, so that is what he got, in a very large bowl.

We have always had the best service in the formal dining room

Anita

• 1 month later...

We have done 1 cruise-Disney's week in western Carib. And the portions were large enough that I would only usually eat 1 of things, except for 1 appetizer I didn't care for that got replaced. But the desserts! On the last night, it was only 4 at our 6 table. My hubby & the other gal ordered Chocolate decadence(rich choco torte) but me & Kevin(her hubby) ordered 1 of everything to be split between us...what fun...it felt so decadent! I will totally be doing this on Carnival...life is short, eat dessert first. Besides if main portions are small, more room for dessert! :D

Well, we have cruised numerous times on Carnival. On lobster night I also order two lobster tails, one at a time. My husband and I always order the Italian meal and share it or order it smaller as an appetizer. Many people do that. One cruise a friend and I ordered five desserts and took a forkful of each one. The waiters after one day are used to you. Want a bowl of lemons for your iced tea? Just ask for it. Want the low carb bread, just ask for it. Just have a blast and go to the gym like we do to get rid of the extra calories.

Lynne

Too many to list

Legend April 2, 2006

• 2 months later...

I've only been on HAL, and have never had any problems with ordering more than one of anything. The waiters are more than happy to accomodate, and in fact, were often the ones who would encourage me to get multiples. I can be indecisive when I order--and the waiters themselves would suggest I go ahead and try two items to see what I like.

We try not to get excessive amounts of food (and by that, I mean, more than we can finish--I have no problem with the guy who gets 13 lobsters, if he enjoys them all), so if there's something we're intrigued with tasting on the menu, but we all have other entrees, my husband will get a plate for all of us at the table to share.

I've never had a problem with what tablemates thought of this, because thus far I've only gone on cruises with a group of my family and we get our own table. Even so, how rude to judge what others do on their vacation. Why not just focus on your own enjoyment, instead of being concerned with what others are doing? If it doesn't hurt you, why not laissez faire.

They will give you as much as you want it is paid for and there are some things that are well worth having 2 of also I sometimes could not do a desert and they would box one for me to take to the room!!:D

Our first cruise we went with my TA best friend-she told us 9 months in advance that 'we could eat as much as we wanted, and order as much of anything we wanted'. Believe me-we did this, and the waiter didn't bat an eye.

Second cruise, however-the waiter was taken aback when I ordered 2 entrees (soup and mushroom ragout), 2 entrees and 3 desserts, and usually eat all of it-yum! I am 5'3", and 125 lbs. Maybe that's why, lol! I've learned to have my more sensible boyfriend order extras for me now. :) I do say-whenever I go to the States I eat a TON-very good food, love my road trips! I eat like a bird when at home, when I'm on vacation I'm an absolute glutton.

We went to the information 'talk' that I think replaced the Galley Tours-they told us basically everything in the dining room is already prepared, and whatever is not eaten gets mushed, treated and fed to the fishies. As a joke, the director said to 'watch the aft of the ship at around 8:30pm every night-you'll see fish jumping for the treated food being disposed into the ocean. And guess where your dinner is coming from tomorrow night'?

Needless to say, I didn't touch the fish the next night. (j/k) :D I believe in not wasting food-but I wonder about weight gain and being forced to eat your entire meal.

It is a pain in a way though-I might order quail and salmon-but only want the potatoes and veggies as a side dish-but they've already plated the other side dishes, so I'm forced to have both. I feel bad sending half of the food back-but now that I know what they do with the leftovers, I don't feel bad anymore. ;)

We just cruised on the Mercury 10.31.2005. It was hard to choose which entree. Our dinner mates and I would just agree and proclaim ''Surf and Turf'' to our waiter. When I asked our waiter which dessert he recommended? He replied ''Have one of each!'':)

Becky and David

After looking at some of the menu's I noticed several times the appetizer's I've been wanting to try are on the same day. Do you ask for all 2 or 3 of the appetizer's you want, a salad, an entree and desert? I'm kind of like the 1st poster that said she might be embarassed. Although from some of the pictures I've seen of the food, they aren't large portions.

After looking at some of the menu's I noticed several times the appetizer's I've been wanting to try are on the same day. Do you ask for all 2 or 3 of the appetizer's you want, a salad, an entree and desert? I'm kind of like the 1st poster that said she might be embarassed. Although from some of the pictures I've seen of the food, they aren't large portions.

Try anything you want. Also try new items or even items you never heard of before.:) We were pleasantly surprised with the cold soups on our 10/31/05 Mercury Cruise. One tablemate even had us order for her. Everything was just that good... You can't go wrong because you can just reorder something else..:D

I liken it to any 'all you can eat' buffet at home. I know, and am willing and able, to pay the price regardless of how little or much I eat (they usually come out on the good side with me). At this point on the cruise I've already paid. My plate may not be 'clean' when done, but I'm not going to order everything just to be doing so. Should I see 3 appetizers I'd like to try, then so be it. Same with the entrees and desserts. Sharing with a cruise mate is also an excellent option. So far as being embarrassed? No more so than I would be at an 'all you can eat', and I never am.

This is also where I can try things that I could never get at home - quail (sounds wonderful), lamb (love it but isn't cheap by any means). The pumpkin soup is at the very top of my list.

Order what you want, but eat what you order.

Just my 2 cents....

Archived