First trip to Cartagena.

TGHRS

I don't recognise many of these descriptions of Cartagena. We were there late 2009 after a Panama transit and were taken aback by the lack of security. We walked off the boat and out of the docks. No policemen, no soldiers. Immediately outside the docks we found a taxi driver who for US$40 - paid afterwards - gave my wife and I a personally conducted tour of the city that took all morning. He even bought us a beer in a bar because we had no local money. I recall seeing one police car but no military presence at all. Getting back on board was equally simple - no security until we got up the gang plank. I think in the past there might have been problems but this country and its people need support if they are to combat the drug menace and tourist dollars will be well spent in a beautiful location.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I'm traveling alone and wouldn't want to take a tour with just me and a tour guide. You said "there were 5 of us" - were you all traveling together or was it you and four strangers? That's my problem - I would feel uncomfortable tagging along with a just a few people who all know each other. I might do a private tour if I felt comfortable with people on my roll call who arrange something, but I really don't want to be on a small group tour with people I know nothing about.

I would go to the roll call,,and join them,,it is let family,, we email each other back and forth,,,some start a facebook page,, have a meet and greet on the cruise and by that time it is like a family union,, you will not be alone you will be with family...

Enjoy this port it is our favorite,, this year we are doing the mud volcano,, have done the city tour and forts several times and it is great.. not to be missed

I don't recognise many of these descriptions of Cartagena. We were there late 2009 after a Panama transit and were taken aback by the lack of security. We walked off the boat and out of the docks. No policemen, no soldiers. Immediately outside the docks we found a taxi driver who for US$40 - paid afterwards - gave my wife and I a personally conducted tour of the city that took all morning. He even bought us a beer in a bar because we had no local money. I recall seeing one police car but no military presence at all. Getting back on board was equally simple - no security until we got up the gang plank. I think in the past there might have been problems but this country and its people need support if they are to combat the drug menace and tourist dollars will be well spent in a beautiful location.

I agree Balloon Man regarding how a city can differ from trip to trip. We were there in May of this year and there definitely was a very strong military presence and the events regarding "The Pirate Ship" tour did happen ... it was the gossip of the day back on the ship. As I said before, they will have to try it and judge for themselves. Nothing ventured nothing gained !!

• 2 months later...

Such an interesting thread with a great variety of of opinions! We just can't figure out what to do in Cartagena in January. One of our roll call members has put together a tour with Lee Miles and I know he is very highly recommended; however, we think we might prefer to take a taxi to the Old Town and wander on our own. I think we are afraid that the tour might take in too many stops and not give us enough time in Old Town - from what I've read, it is worth spending a few hours just looking around there.

I'm looking forward to hearing from others and what you have done and enjoyed during this stop.

I was thrilled to see that Cartagena was a stop on our Panama canal cruise a couple of years ago, and we were not disappointed. Someone on our roll call had organized a walking tour with a guide recommended here on CC and, long story short, the tour guide did not show at the appointed time. Not to worry, there were plenty of guides around (and a main person with a list of registered guides), so we chose the one who seemed the most helpful to us and were on our way.

For 1/2 the price of our original tour, we walked until we couldn't walk anymore, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We did end up going in an emerald shop, but even there we learned something, and no one pushed us to buy. I've never wanted emeralds because they seem too formal for me and don't go with everything, but my husband couldn't resist buying something for me in a shop named after one of my favorite movies (the shop was "Romance the Stone"), so he bought me uncut emerald earrings--way cheaper, not formal looking at all, and go with all colors!

We couldn't go in all the sites one normally would, because some were closed due to a movie being filmed, but we got to go in other historical places "behind the scenes" due to our guide having so many friends. He also went out of his way to take us to an actual grocery store outside of the walled city where we had choices of coffee to buy at, of course, cheaper prices than at vendors for tourists.

Our only disappointment was that we didn't have time to go to sites outside of the walled city, so I hope we have the opportunity to visit Cartagena again some day.

We just booked a tour with Lee Miles for our upcoming January cruise, and I have to say that so far I am very impressed. I have booked many private shore tours, but never have I had someone customize and mail me a full itinerary before booking! He gave a very good description of the situation at the dock and how to find him.

I loved that we could customize the tour with no shopping and no churches. We're doing a 'Pirates of the Caribbean' tour (Fortress, Gold Museum and Palace of Inquisition, plus a walk through Old Town). Our family is looking forward to it!

Yes, definitely a variety of opinions about Cartegena. I enjoyed it very much last year, did the Princess combo walking and mangrove tour. Saw much less military/police presence than in Mexico, Panama and Jamaica. Felt safe on the tour and in the country. I'm off next week again and doing a stop in Cartegena. I'm looking forward to it. I will proceed with caution------not going to dangerous areas etc. If you use common sense you are as safe as any other major city.

We have been to Cartagena several times. The first time we took the ships tour, the second time we walked into town. After that experience we decided that Cartagena was a stay on the ship stop.

I agree 100%. I would stay on the ship the next time.

Such an interesting thread with a great variety of of opinions! We just can't figure out what to do in Cartagena in January. One of our roll call members has put together a tour with Lee Miles and I know he is very highly recommended; however, we think we might prefer to take a taxi to the Old Town and wander on our own. I think we are afraid that the tour might take in too many stops and not give us enough time in Old Town - from what I've read, it is worth spending a few hours just looking around there.

I'm looking forward to hearing from others and what you have done and enjoyed during this stop.

We were in Cartagena last November on the Coral, we just shared a taxi to the walled town with another couple for $20 total. Then spent a good few hours wandering around inside. I'd printed off a map and a list of everything we wanted to see before hand. Had an excellent time, never felt in any danger at all, plenty of police around on the streets. You will have the usual guys trying to sell you stuff, a polite ' No thanks' and continue walking does the job.

Drink plenty of water whilst you're there, the humidity is unbelievable, and you're dripping with sweat in minutes.

Also plenty of taxi's around to take you back to the ship. The taxi drivers don't speak very much english, so have a picture of your ship on your camera to show them where you want to go.

We were there in late 2009. We did not see any soldiers with guns etc. We were not searched. I feel it is a good port in that it has historical significance for colonial days. That being said I would not venture too far off the beaten track on my own. We took a Princess city tour excursion. Now I am familiar with the city I would not hesitate to take a non Princess tour if I had a good recommendation. I might venture off into the city on my own if I feel I could trust the taxi drivers. The Princess excursion had 2 shopping stops - a waste of time although my wife bought some good coffee at the last stop. There was a lot of walking which was not good for the people on the tour who had problems walking. The fort is really important in history. Get their early to beat the heat and wade through all the people trying to sell you something. The old town is very interesting with the cathedral and the inquistion museum. All in all we had a good time there.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on a walking tour of Cartegena through Princess lines. My husband cannot walk very well and we use a w/c for him in museums, etc. I want to know if I would be able to take him in a w/c on this walking tour? Are the streets okay for walking? Cobblestoned? He really wants to go into town and see the old town, but he knows he cannot keep up with the walkers. I can push him around in a chair without any trouble. Also, are there any grocery stores around the port ?

Archived