Help! Fantasy in 57 days!

Maverick1795

So on Sept. 29th, in 57 loooonnnngggg days, my family (DD 15, DD 17, DD 1, and partner) along with My mother, grandmother and step-father are all going on the 5 night Bahamas out of Charleston. I have cruised a few times, but this is everyone else's 1st time! I have tried to pull things together as far as making sure that everything is getting taken care of, but I don't want to miss anything! Can you all, my fellow CC'ers help me think of anything that would be helpful?

I have already said that since the cruise is 5 days that 7 "day" outfits should be enough along with 1 "formal" dinner outfit and 4 "casual" dinner outfits. A couple of bathing suits should be in tow as well along with the usual toiletries and whatnot.

As far as keeping in touch back home, just in case, that isn't a huge issue considering that I am a corporate employee for a major cell carrier and I was told that I could use my work phone while away, within reason, and all would be okay.

Since we live right up the coast, in Myrtle Beach, we aren't going to be staying in Charleston the night before. It's only an hour and a half drive or so from our house. We will, however, be parking two cars at the pier. Does anyone know the cost of parking and if our cars will be safe? I have been contemplating renting a minivan, driving down, and letting Hertz, or whoever we rent through, shuttle us to the pier.

Phew....I know it's alot and I really do appreciate everyone who takes the time to read this and who gives their two cents. My goal in this was not to get flamed or start a flaming war so please be nice.

DH and I were just on Fantasy last week. She is a great ship! You will love her.

Parking is $15/day at the port. You are parked in a large warehouse, so your vehicle is not sitting out in the elements.

As far as what/how much clothing to take....I packed 1 day and 1 evening outfit per day (7 day cruise) and didn't wear half of what I packed, mostly the day wear. We stayed up on the Lido and Waterworks decks in our swimsuits most all day. If you don't mind doing a load or 2 of laundry, the facilities are really nice. The washers and dryers have timers on them that tell you how long each load would take, so you don't have to stand right by them waiting and wasting your time.

Have a great trip!!

Don't be afraid to wear things twice. You will spend most of the day in bathing suit with coverup. Take bathing suit/coverup in carryon, as the kids will probably want to get right into the pools, even before you can get into your cabins. Remember, DD1 will not be able to use the pool unless she is potty trained...no swim diapers allowed. EM

Ditto the above post..you're over packed ;).

I leave on the Fantasy in a little over 2 weeks for the 6 day. I'm packing half that and mixing and matching.

You'll have a great cruise, just a lot of luggage to lug around. :D

On a 7-day I usually take one one sun dress and wear that two nights. Two pair of nice capris and tops that I can wear two nights. I wear the same formal dress both nights or if I take black silky pants, I take two different tops/jacket. I coordinate my outfits so that I can wear the same pair of shoes with everything, except my sun dress -- it needs different shoes! I don't take more than 3 pr. of shoes. I only take one pair of shorts and two tanks. I'm usually in my swimsuit even in ports with a cover up.

On a 5-day, I would take the sun dress and one pr. of carpis with top plus my formal night clothes. One pr. of shorts and one swim suit. Two pair of shoes plus my flip flops for the pool.

Most people cruising out of Charleston drive to port. Long lines to unload your luggage (tip your porter) then you drive into the parking garage. Make note of which one you're in...shuttles take you to the pier (tip your driver)

Getting off the ship is a booger too. Customs was a breeze. Waiting in line to board another shuttle back to parking. The shuttle drops you off at one parking area. We had to grab our luggage and walk to the next parking garage...unexpected and not prepared, especially with two big boxes of alcohol we'd bought on the ship.

Not to hijack, but I have a piggyback question. We sail on the Fantasy on August 14th (coming up fast). We have a friend who lives in Charleston who will be dropping us off at the pier. Is pretty well marked? Is there a long line for drop offs?

Thanks.

You'll probably want to rethink your packing list....too many clothes I think.

My first cruise I took too many clothes and shoes, second cruise I only took 1 thing I didn't wear, so I am getting better!

As someone posted, you can wear your clothes twice. I found Downy Wrinkle Release and Febreeze are Godsends. Truly!

Take some clothes hangers with you in you suitcase. Spray your worn clothes with the Wrinkle Release and Febreeze, shake the garment a few times (like you were throwing sheets to make a bed) and then hang them up to dry. ~Fresh~!

You could always send dirty clothes to the ship's laundry services through your room steward or go to the laundry mat yourself. My son laundered his clothes on the last cruise, he said the laundry was fine, you can buy detergent and fabric softeners there. Take quarters, you can get change at the purser's desk.

Enjoy your cruise, I think you will like the Fantasy, she was great for me for my first two cruises. Taking a larger ship in October (Valor) so now I'll be able to compare.

After our first-ever cruise (on the Fantasy out of Canaveral) we discovered how to pack MUCH better! After first day on board, wear tomorrow's (clean) outfit to dinner and then all the next day. Then shower before dinner, put on tomorrow's clean outfit and wear THAT to dinner, etc. Assuming you don't dump your plate of spagetti in your lap, you're always clean and smelling good at the table, plus still have a nice get-up for the next day's activities.

Took one "dressy" outfit/shoes, and made good use of the ship's photographers -- we got an EXCELLENT formal portrait done. Professional studio couldn't have done better, and the price was a mere fraction of what we'd have paid. Guess what everybody got THAT year for Christmas!:D

Once you get down by the port, there are plenty of signs on the road to route you to the port.

They can drop off your bags and then move you closer to Market St. if you do the Early drop off. Thats what we did on the Glory.

We will sail the Fantasy on Sept 6 and plan to follow the same routine.

As a long-time (25 years) former resident of The Holy City, I think I can safely say the route to the cruise terminal at the State Ports Authority is well-marked, easy to find and intuitive to maneuver. That doesn't mean its necessarily easy, though, if what I'm reading on these posts is true! Yes, you park in an enclosed building and the fees are posted at the SC State Ports Authority website (Google it for URL). One serendipity for those with limited mobility is FREE parking if you have a handicapped placard.

Notyard

1st cruise, SS Castel Felice, 1965 (trans-Atlantic)

Well, I think I am on the opposite end of everyone else when they think you have overpacked...I ALWAYS overpack as I enjoy having a choice.

We will be on the Fantasy in a little over 2 weeks for 6 nights and for that I will be bringing enough casual days clothes for 5 or 6 days, probably 3 formal dresses (1 extra in case I change my mind) and 6 or 7 sundresses (again, I like my variety)...probably 7 or 8 pairs of shoes and atleast 4 or 5 bathing suits...and I have 2 DDs, my 16 yr old will overpack but my 9 yr old would wear the same thing all week if I let her...my hubby will also overpack so I would say with 4 of us we will have 5 suitcases, a garment bag and 2 or 3 carryons...I would rather have more than less, but that is just me.

Just 1 or 2 little tips...a collapsable hamper is always a good idea for your dirty clothes, I bring a few trash bags also so I can put the dirties in them before I put them in the suitcase...They have soap and shampoo in the showers but not very good, better off the bring your own...bring a little blow up pool and a beach bucket (to fill up pool) for the baby, this way she has a little pool she can hang out in as she can't go in the pool on the ship...and my last bit of advise...STOP WORRYING...if you forget it, you buy it or do without...HAVE FUN!

I guess I'm in the minority but I sweat and refuse to rewear clothing. I see some say just lay it out and let it dry. Umm no, I'm not wearing sweaty clothing again even if its dry. I take an outfit for each day and usually one extra. Then an outfit for each dinner we plan on eating in the dining room.

I leave on the Fantasy in a little over 2 weeks for the 6 day. I'm packing half that and mixing and matching.

Going on a six day cruise in Mar 2011. Please right a reveiw and let me know how many elegant nights on a 6 day cruise.

Thanks and enjoy

Most people cruising out of Charleston drive to port. Long lines to unload your luggage (tip your porter) then you drive into the parking garage. Make note of which one you're in...shuttles take you to the pier (tip your driver)

Getting off the ship is a booger too. Customs was a breeze. Waiting in line to board another shuttle back to parking. The shuttle drops you off at one parking area. We had to grab our luggage and walk to the next parking garage...unexpected and not prepared, especially with two big boxes of alcohol we'd bought on the ship.

Was there handicapped parking??

Going on a six day cruise in Mar 2011. Please right a reveiw and let me know how many elegant nights on a 6 day cruise.

Thanks and enjoy

2 elegant nights. I'll take alot of pics and write a review.

As a long-time (25 years) former resident of The Holy City, I think I can safely say the route to the cruise terminal at the State Ports Authority is well-marked, easy to find and intuitive to maneuver. That doesn't mean its necessarily easy, though, if what I'm reading on these posts is true! Yes, you park in an enclosed building and the fees are posted at the SC State Ports Authority website (Google it for URL). One serendipity for those with limited mobility is FREE parking if you have a handicapped placard.

Notyard

1st cruise, SS Castel Felice, 1965 (trans-Atlantic)

Thanks for the info I just got a handicapped placecard for bad knees. Does that mean I don't have to pay a parking fee??

We will be getting off of the Fantasy as you are getting on. Cant wait...only 51 days left. I too will be one of the ones who over pack because I too like a varity of clothes to chose from. This is our first cruise and I would rather have too much stuff than not enough:D

Many thanks....Many Many Many Thanks to everyone who has posted. Lots of great info and I will take everything into account. Especially the packing ordeal. It has been a couple of years since my last cruise and I am a worry-wort.

One question I still have and wonder how I could verify it is: Is parking really free with a Handicapped Placard? My grandmother is going with us and she has some trouble getting around. She plans on just people watching, but little does she know, we are going to push her around in a wheelchair so that she can experience everything just like us.

Many thanks....Many Many Many Thanks to everyone who has posted. Lots of great info and I will take everything into account. Especially the packing ordeal. It has been a couple of years since my last cruise and I am a worry-wort.

One question I still have and wonder how I could verify it is: Is parking really free with a Handicapped Placard? My grandmother is going with us and she has some trouble getting around. She plans on just people watching, but little does she know, we are going to push her around in a wheelchair so that she can experience everything just like us.

Are you taking a wheelchair for Grandma? Because you can't count on getting one onboard. Also, there are no hairdryers in the cabins unless you are in a suite. EM

Archived