RC or Princess for Alaska?

Robin G

Did a cruisetour with Princess last summer and am planning to go again Summer of 2012. I prefer the RC product, but just don't know about in Alaska. Would LOVE AND APPRECIATE any input anyone can offer. Thanks.

Did a cruisetour with Princess last summer and am planning to go again Summer of 2012. I prefer the RC product, but just don't know about in Alaska. Would LOVE AND APPRECIATE any input anyone can offer. Thanks.

Like you, we prefer Royal Caribbean. We did a Princess cruisetour in Alaska some years ago and were very impressed at how well organized everything was and it was a great trip. This past June we did a very similar cruisetour in Alaska with RCI and were amazed at how much RCI's product exceeded what Princess had provided. From having a dedicated tour conductor and driver for the entire land portion of the tour, to the quality of the accommodations they used, to the fact that the much superior Tundra Wilderness Tour was included in our tour rather than the Natural History Tour that Princess provided for us, to the ability to upgrade from the motorcoach transfer from Anchorage to Seward to the wonderful Alaska Railroad transfer for the nominal fee of $25 per person, everything about the RCI tour far eclipsed the tour that Princess offered us.

Radiance of the Seas is a beautiful ship and seems to have been designed with Alaska in mind, with its abundance of glass that insures that you needn't miss the spectacular Alaskan scenery no matter where you are on the ship. If you truly prefer the RCI experience you will definitely not be disappointed if you choose them for your next trip to Alaska. Since you previously sailed Alaska with Princess you have already seen Glacier Bay and College Fjords. As much as we enjoyed visiting them on our Princess cruise, we were not at all disappointed with Hubbard Glacier where the Captain was able to bring the Radiance within 400 meters of the glacier and where we viewed some impressive glacial calving.

We sailed Alaska last month on Princess and it was wonderful trip. Prior to that, we have also sailed Royal Caribbean. Both lines are great! We chose Princess for Alaska because we wanted to go on a one-way cruise (not roundtrip so we didn't have to use as much vacation time and had more time in ports) and also go to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. I would choose your cruise based on the itinerary and not the cruise line. I think you'll be happy either way.

We sailed Alaska last month on Princess and it was wonderful trip. Prior to that, we have also sailed Royal Caribbean. Both lines are great! We chose Princess for Alaska because we wanted to go on a one-way cruise (not roundtrip so we didn't have to use as much vacation time and had more time in ports) and also go to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. I would choose your cruise based on the itinerary and not the cruise line. I think you'll be happy either way.

I think this is the best advice: "choose your cruise based on the itinerary". Alaska itself is spectacular, and I am positive that each of the lines do their very best to make it a positive experience for you.

One clarification: Royal Caribbean also offers one-way options between Seward and Vancouver.

We did a southbound cruisetour starting in Fairbanks on 7/3/10 and it was simply fantastic. I have to echo negc's statement that it was very nice to have a dedicated tour director and bus driver for the duration of the trip. Andy and Ree took VERY good care of us and everything was smooth and crisp.

You can check out pictures and compasses from our trip at http://milford_cruiser.home.comcast.net if you want to see the result.

I too have sailed both cruiselines, more than once, in Alaska. They both can offer a great trip. RCI, has the upper edge with Talkeetna Alaska Lodge and the closeness to Talkeetna. :) They have forward seating on their very nice train cars.

You have already been there, so you should already be able to make choices on what you liked best. Taking a different cruise and seeing Hubbard Glacier vs Glacier Bay, which I'm assuming you saw with Princess, may be a nice varied trip to consider.

Thanks everyone -- you've all made some very good points to consider. I know about the Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard - College Fjord vs. Icy Strait. I do like the idea of having the tour guide - that would have been nice the first time around.

Princess was very convenient that while we were still traveling on the train they were able to check us in for the ship and actually handed out our stateroom cards. Very nice. Does Royal do this if you take their optional train to the ship? Does it take you RIGHT TO THE SHIP like the Princess train?

I really enjoyed Talkeetna too. The McKinley Lodge was nice, but for the amount of time it took to motorcoach to it and the fact that we never saw McKinley anyway we probably would have preferred staying in Talkeetna.

Milford cruiser: I'll take a look through your pictures.

The train did take us directly to the pier where the Radiance was docked but once there we did have to check in to get our seapasses and have our photo taken. They did not hand them out while we were on the train. It was not a major hindrance and really didn't delay us a measurable amount of time.:)

Talkeetna Lodge was absolutely first rate and a wonderful antidote to the less than satisfactory experience we had at Grande Denali Lodge. We took the lodge's shuttle to "beautiful downtown Talkeetna" and enjoyed our brief visit, especially the place that offered beer samplers.:D

Princess was very convenient that while we were still traveling on the train they were able to check us in for the ship and actually handed out our stateroom cards. Very nice. Does Royal do this if you take their optional train to the ship? Does it take you RIGHT TO THE SHIP like the Princess train?

QUOTE]

Yes, there is a train spur the cruise contracted train, takes direct to the ship.

BUT, I always point out, that the cruise contracted train, is poorly timed. It leaves too late out of Anchorage for much of anything and arrives in Seward later. As an alternative- superior- IF you want to do touring is to just depart the cruisetour and book the Alaska RR yourself (the cruise contracted train, can run about 40% more). This way you get into Seward in time for a lot of activies, if of interest. A top choice, loaded with varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing- far superior to anything seen from your ship is a Kenai Fjords boat tour. :)

Archived